clueso's (ongoing) question thread

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

clueso
Germany

clueso's (ongoing) question thread

Post by clueso » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:17 pm

I saw another person making a similar thread where he collects all his questions and over time adds new ones and so I thought I could do the same instead of spamming the forum with new threads over and over again.

My learning style is somewhat interpersonal, which means I learn best by being told/explained (step by step) how to do something or how something works by someone instead of figuring it out all on my own, but once I got, I got it, so I hope you are okay if I may ask questions that have probably been answered somewhere else before.

1) Innate weapon affixes / auto affixes
I want that every weapon always spawns with an innate affix, for example axes always spawn with crushing blow, daggers always with open wounds, bows with pierce, hammers with stun etc, but I don't know where and how to do it. I thought maybe stafmods, but apparently this only can be used for letting certain item types spawn with random class specific skills.

2) Increasing the maximum number of prefixes
I want that items not longer have up to 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes, but up to 6 prefixes and 0 suffixes. Is there anything I can do to increase the maximum number of prefixes tht can spawn on an item and reduce the maximum number of suffixes?

3) Synergies and Self Synergies
I was searching a bit on how to create synergies for a skill, but so far I couldn't find anything that explained it to me well. I basically want to get rid of all synergies and only have self synergies, however I have no idea how to do that. An easy explanation would be very appreciated.

4) Swapping skills from one char to another
I wanna move Meteor, Blizzard and Thunderstorm to the Druid (and later replace these skills with other, completely new ones, but for now I just wanna know how to 'swap' skills). How to do this easily without creating the skills from the ground up? I heard it has something to do with Skill ID Markers.

5) Life Regeneration Passive
How to let Warmth regenerate life instead of mana?

6) Increasing AoE damage
How to increase the AoE of Meteor and other skills?

Additional questions may follow later.

Thanks a lot!

Nizari
Senior Moderator
Knight
Poland

Re: clueso's (ongoing) question thread

Post by Nizari » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm

1) You have to use automagic.txt to achieve this. It spawns a properties on items in similar way to MagixPerfix and MagicSuffix. Use frequency of 8, which gives you 100% chance to spawn on every item that is not unique or set, then attach your automagic to desired itemtype, if some itemtype has subtypes, you can exclude them too. I highly recommend to read the file guide Igave you.
In case of uniques and set items, you have to add the desired properties by yourself.

2) I'm not quite sure about this, however I guess you should disable all suffixes. Additionally you need a code edit to allow more than 3 prefixes.

3) Read Skills.txt file guide, especially about EDmgSymPerCalc and ELenSymPerCalc fields. A typical and most common vanilla synergy have a reference to some of the param fields (most likely it will be par8, which stands for param8 field) that contains a number, and a reference to skill level of some of the other skills. For example, a synergy of par8*skill('Hydra'.blvl) put in Fireball skill, would increase the Fireball's damage by param8 (you have to insert some number there) times the hard point (skill points assigned by the player, not from items) skill level of Hydra skill (Eg param8 = 17 and Hydra's skill level = 8, then the damage bonus would be 17 * 8 = 136%).
To get rid of synergies completly, you have to clear EDmgSymPerCalc and ELenSymPerCalc fields in skills.txt, clear all DmgSymPerCalc and EDmgSymPerCalc fields in missiles.txt (some of multi damage source skills uses missiles.txt for synergies, Phoenix Strike is a good example) and finally clear all from dsc3 (including dsc3) to eol (leave eol as it is) in skilldesc.txt to get rid of synergies display on the skill trees.

4) As first you have to get rid of 3 of the Druid's original skills, as all characters MUST have the same exact ammount of skills from trees, else it will lead you to a crash when trying to play any other characters. You can easily learn about how to do it by reading Skills.txt and SkillDesc.txt file guides.

5) It depends how much life would you like to regenerate and at which rate. Take a look at how Prayer skill is working and replicate it's behavior to Warmth (use passivestat fields instead of aurastat, also do not turn Warmth into an aura)

6) You have to edit Missiles.txt (also Skills.txt in some cases) for that. This question is impossible to answer perfectly, you should type all of skills you want to edit, as many missiles and skills uses different fields for their range of effects.

clueso
Germany

Post by clueso » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks for your reply Nizari!
Nizari wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm
1) You have to use automagic.txt to achieve this. It spawns a properties on items in similar way to MagixPerfix and MagicSuffix. Use frequency of 8, which gives you 100% chance to spawn on every item that is not unique or set, then attach your automagic to desired itemtype, if some itemtype has subtypes, you can exclude them too. I highly recommend to read the file guide Igave you.
I already found this thread a while ago that is basically the exact same, so that is not new to me:
https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10179

I just wanted to point that out to clarify that I have done research already...

But besides that, does this mean that automagic takes away a prefix or a suffix? My idea was that items have up to 6 different affixes + the innate affix.
Nizari wrote:
3) Read Skills.txt file guide, especially about EDmgSymPerCalc and ELenSymPerCalc fields.
Yeah, I read that, however I found the way it was explained there confusing, that's why I had to asked.
Nizari wrote:
A typical and most common vanilla synergy have a reference to some of the param fields (most likely it will be par8, which stands for param8 field) that contains a number, and a reference to skill level of some of the other skills. For example, a synergy of par8*skill('Hydra'.blvl) put in Fireball skill, would increase the Fireball's damage by param8 (you have to insert some number there) times the hard point (skill points assigned by the player, not from items) skill level of Hydra skill (Eg param8 = 17 and Hydra's skill level = 8, then the damage bonus would be 17 * 8 = 136%).
Ah, that is a good information.

I tried that and replaced some synergies with self-synergies by letting the skill reference to itself and it worked.

But since these colums only seem to work for damage synergies, can I also create self-synergies for passive skills like Warmth (regardless of it regenerating mana or life) with these colums or do I need to go somewhere else?
Nizari wrote:
To get rid of synergies completly, you have to clear EDmgSymPerCalc and ELenSymPerCalc fields in skills.txt, clear all DmgSymPerCalc and EDmgSymPerCalc fields in missiles.txt (some of multi damage source skills uses missiles.txt for synergies, Phoenix Strike is a good example) and finally clear all from dsc3 (including dsc3) to eol (leave eol as it is) in skilldesc.txt to get rid of synergies display on the skill trees.

okay, that works as well.
Nizari wrote:
4) As first you have to get rid of 3 of the Druid's original skills, as all characters MUST have the same exact ammount of skills from trees, else it will lead you to a crash when trying to play any other characters. You can easily learn about how to do it by reading Skills.txt and SkillDesc.txt file guides.
Okay, I will read it again.
Nizari wrote:
5) It depends how much life would you like to regenerate and at which rate. Take a look at how Prayer skill is working and replicate it's behavior to Warmth (use passivestat fields instead of aurastat, also do not turn Warmth into an aura)
Well, this seems a bit strange, because Warmth is also referencing to other txt files with its passivestate (not passivestat1-4) which is called 'warmth', while Prayer has no passivestate.

In the skills.txt Warmth has 'manarecoverybonus' in passivestat1 and Prayer has 'hitpoints' in aurastat1, however, in the Magic Modifier List thread*, I can't find these modifiers, only 'regen' (for hit points) and 'mana-regen' (for mana regeneration), so I am not sure which of these I shall use.

* https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10179
Nizari wrote:
6) You have to edit Missiles.txt (also Skills.txt in some cases) for that. This question is impossible to answer perfectly, you should type all of skills you want to edit, as many missiles and skills uses different fields for their range of effects.
Thanks for the offer, I will do that later.

Necrolis
Site Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm

2) This isn't actually a simple edit as one would believe (normally you can just force the loops to a certain count); D2 only has space for 3 suffixes and 3 prefixes on an item, any more and you start crashing or overwriting data... You'd do better just replacing the suffix strings so they look like fake prefixes (and change the mods too if you want).
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

clueso
Germany

Post by clueso » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Necrolis wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm
2) This isn't actually a simple edit as one would believe
Yeah, I thought that might be the case, because otherwise I might have found a thread about it it while I was researching it...
Necrolis wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm
You'd do better just replacing the suffix strings so they look like fake prefixes (and change the mods too if you want).
But I assume that would probably mean that some affixes have a chance to spawn twice on the same item, right? Or would that be solved by putting the prefix of (lets say) increased weapon damage and the suffix of increased weapon damage into the same affix group?

Nizari
Senior Moderator
Knight
Poland

Post by Nizari » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:02 pm

They would still spawn normally, you would just change their pure visual appearance, so it looks like there are no suffixes.

clueso
Germany

Post by clueso » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:52 am

Nizari wrote:
In case of uniques and set items, you have to add the desired properties by yourself.
So, I extracted automagic.txt from d2exp.mpq, opened it with D2 Excel and added a new row which I simply called 'Crushing'.
Then I set the frequency to 8, added crush to mod1code for Crushing Blow and set mod1min and mod1max to 6 for 6% Crushing Blow.
Version: 100, Spawnable: 1, rare: 1, level: 1, levelreq: 1, group: 310 (I just hope this group isn't used by anything else), itype1: axe (to let it only spawn on axes) and divide, multiply, add: 0.

I put automagic into date\global\excel and run the mod with -direct -txt.

It did not work.
All the other stuff that I have edited so far still works, but not this.

What to do now? Where did I go wrong?

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 am

You need to put your group number on the corresponding item in weapons.txt
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

clueso