Converting weapon damage to poison

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Converting weapon damage to poison

Post by mmpx222 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:41 pm

I want Poison Dagger to convert some of the weapon damage to poison damage. In skills.txt, I noticed that Berserk, Frenzy, and Concentrate were using calc4 to specify the % of weapon damage to convert, and EType to specify the type of element. I suspected that Poison Dagger may be able to convert weapon damage as well--and to my delight, it does!

What I've discovered so far:
  • calc4 determines the % of weapon damage converted. However, a hidden divisor of 8 is applied when converting to poison: actual poison bit rate (damage per frame) is (weapon damage) x (conversion % in calc4) ÷ 8.
  • If weapon damage is converted to poison, the poison length is set to whatever value you provide in ELen. However, there seems to be a hardcoded minimum length of 50 frames. If you leave ELen blank or set it to a value less than 50, it is ignored.
  • If you equip multiple items that provide poison damage, total poison bit rate is sum of individual poison bit rates, and total poison length is (sum of poison lengths) ÷ (# of items). This corroborates what is known on how Poison Dagger works.
  • Any poison damage set using the EMin / EMax and EMinLev# / EMaxLev# columns is added to the converted poison bit rate.
  • Since Strength bonuses increase dagger damage, they also increase converted poison damage.
  • Similar to most melee skills, calc1 provides a +% Damage bonus. This also affects the converted poison damage.
  • Deadly Strike also doubles converted poison damage
  • Crushing Blow does not affect converted poison damage†
  • +% Poison Skill Damage does not affect converted poison damage. On the other hand...
  • -% Enemy Poison Resistance affects converted poison damage and length
† Tested only vs Physical Immune monsters.

Conclusion: Damage conversion is applied after off-weapon +% Damage and Deadly Strike are applied, but before resistances are applied. This is similar to how Fire Arrow converts weapon damage to fire.

By the way, has anyone tried this before? I searched the forums but no one seems to have ever tried converting weapon damage to poison damage via skills.txt.
Last edited by mmpx222 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
D2TXT / D2INI - Python scripts for editing TXT files, or converting between TXT ↔ INI files

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Re: Converting weapon damage to poison

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Nice discovery. Now if only poison damage wasn't totally stupid at stacking xD

Return to “General Mod Making”