Having Trouble with finding TBL files...

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Ryan432121

Having Trouble with finding TBL files...

Post by Ryan432121 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:08 am

Greetings All...

I been trying to Add Unique Items to my game, i edited easily uniqueitems.txt and set up everything that i wanted to add in it.

The Next Step according some guides i been following : https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18397 and https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22236

Is to add PatchString.tbl, to avoid the new item's name shown as "An Evil Force" in game.

I know i need to Download and Use AFJ tbl Edit 1.11, But i have No Idea on how to String TBL files, and what to do, can someone link me to a Tutorial on how to use AFJ... Im new here.

So where do i find the TBL files, where are they located ?, all i have in my Diablo 2 main folder are TXT & Bin Files. I dont see ANYTHING related to TBL Files, Im really Confused Here... :?:

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Re: Having Trouble with finding TBL files...

Post by mmpx222 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am

Open Patch_D2.mpq with an MPQ viewing program (personally I recommend MPQ Editor) and go to /data/local/LNG/ENG/. TBLs are located there.
D2TXT / D2INI - Python scripts for editing TXT files, or converting between TXT ↔ INI files

Ryan432121

Post by Ryan432121 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

mmpx222 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am
Open Patch_D2.mpq with an MPQ viewing program (personally I recommend MPQ Editor) and go to /data/local/LNG/ENG/. TBLs are located there.
I did that, and all the files that show up in Patch_D2.mpq are showing up as Unknown File Type, instead of TBL files.

h4r4ld
Germany

Post by h4r4ld » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Sounds like you are missing the listfile which you can grab here

ShakaLaka
Germany

Post by ShakaLaka » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 pm

I had issues with Patch_D2.mpq aswell, so I ended up editing expansionstring.tbl inside of d2exp.mpq instead. Editing PatchString.tbl inside of Patch_D2.mpq is probably better, but I wasn't bothered enough by this. If a String is already inside of Patch_D2.mpq, than it will override my entry in expansionstring.tbl as far as I know. But this issue hasn't come up yet. Try to get Patch_D2.mpq working first, I guess.
Edit: I just tried to open patch_d2.mpq again with the listfile from h4r4lds link and ... it worked. Wow, I must have done something wrong when I started out with editing MPQs.

The following is a little bit offtopic, but might become helpful later:
Additional tip in case you are using D2SE and your mod is D2SE compatible; add your modified MPQ-File into your D2SE-MOD-Directory (.../Diablo2/MODS/YourModDirectory/), mention your new MPQ-File in D2SE_SETUP.ini:

Code: Select all

#Names of up to 3 own MPQ Files in increasing priority. All of them are higher than patch_d2 32 Chars each maximum
ModMPQ1=yourmodifiedmqpfile.mpq
#ModMPQ2=
#ModMPQ3=
(remove the #-sign at the beginning of a line, otherwise that line will be ignored by D2SE and is treated as a comment)
Now, D2SE will use your mpq, and any file (I don't know if the data inside a mpq-file can be called a file or not) inside of that mpq will be used instead of the original. If your MPQ-File contains "data/local/LNG/ENG/expansionstring.tbl", than the original data/local/LNG/ENG/expansionstring.tbl will not be loaded, but yours will. You can remove anything else from your MPQ, D2SE will just use the original data from original MPQ instead. As far as I know all MPQs are merged internally and if something is inside of two MPQs, then this priority takes place:
your mpq inside your mod directory > patch_d2.mpq > d2exp.mpq > d2data.mpq
Edit your .tbl file by adding new entries.
If the MPQ-Editor shows stuff like (attributes) or (listfile): don't remove those I guess. But I'm not an expert in this :roll: . Now you can edit and add lines in .tbl inside your own mpq. Your mpq now has a much smaller size because it does not contain any unnecessary stuff (maybe you need to make a "Compact Archive" with your mpq-editor first). Reducing the file size helped me because I was copy pasting the MPQ a lot. Maybe there are even better solutions, I just wanted to share the way I am working on my edited MPQ-File

Additional Tips:
- If you tell windows to open .tbl with your TBL-Editor, than you are able to right click a .tbl file inside of your MPQ-Editor and choose "Edit". After you save and close your TBL-Editor, click on your MPQ-Editor: A Message will appear. If no message appears, than the file most likely was not saved and MPQ-Editor needs to be restarted, atleast in my case this happens from time to time. Because of this, I save, close, and reopen the .tbl file if I'm editing it and am scared of loosing too much.
- Try out the inbuild colortool of your TBL-Editor. It might work, but it did not work for me. Because of this I have to copy paste codes like ÿc4 to change the color of the text
- The lines are reversed: The bottom line in your .tbl-entry will be shown on top in diablo 2
- Item desciptions have a limit, I haven't tested how big exactly the limit is, roughly 4 lines. The limit might be 255 characters.
- The limit for skill or mod-descriptions seems to be much higher

Information that might be relevant: I'm using Ladik's MPQ Editor 3.6.0.837 and AFJ tbl Edit version 1.10; my mod uses Diablo 2 1.13c
Last edited by ShakaLaka on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fawahar

Post by Fawahar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:38 am

@ShakaLaka String.tbl, Expansionstring.tbl and Patchstring.tbl all have different entries. I'd advice to add new lines only to Patchstring.tbl. There should be no trouble finding it in the Patch_d2.mpq file if the program to browse it uses the proper list files. If you need something to browse your mpq, I'd go with this. If you need clean mpq's to browse, check the PKeep filecenter, or if you have installed D2SE check the CORES inside. Good luck.
As I look into the cave
The fog doth fill my eyes
Inside lies the answer
A cause for my demise

Return to “General Mod Making”