MonStats.Txt Damage Resistance

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

JayBrainDead

MonStats.Txt Damage Resistance

Post by JayBrainDead » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 pm

On the project Im currently working on, I have modified a lot of skills and monster stats and still managed to keep everything relatively balanced, except for one thing,
every class that uses physical damage as its main source of damage (weapon, summon or spells) seems to be weaker than almost any elemental class.

Rather than changing almost every weapon and every physical skill I think it might be easier to modify the monsters damage resistance but before I do so,
I had a couple of questions in mind.

1) I believe monsters can have negative resistances if you apply conviction/lower resist/amp damage but can you set the default resistance of a mob to a negative value?
2) If 1 is Yes then what is the valid range ? -100 to 100 or can it drop below -100
3) Assuming that a monster spawn with negative resistances , can it drop below -100 if you apply conviction/lower resist/amp damage

Edit: After some tests here are a few things i've noticed.
1) Setting a resistance to a negative didnt crash the game when the monster was spawn so thats a good place to start.
2) Any value set between -100 and 100 seemed to be applied correctly but setting it to -500 didnt make the monster 5 times weaker to physical attacks.
3) Not tested but fairly confident this is an hardcoded limit, maybe code editing could help ?

Lady Isabelle
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Re: MonStats.Txt Damage Resistance

Post by Lady Isabelle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 pm

1) Yes
2) Similarly to stacking resists I believe, stacked negatives won't put the absolute value below -100, but the more you have beyond -100 the more resistances the monster would need in order to actually start gaining resistances. If you had -135, you would need 36 resistance to get to -99. Otherwise, anything below 36 resistance will always be -100.
3)No

Return to “General Mod Making”