Question of the 1st step.

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Burn
South Africa

Question of the 1st step.

Post by Burn » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm kindly asking about anything that would help me, whatever it is - a guide, some .pdf e-book, yt, stream, etc. -, with the beginning. I've already tried 17 guides i found in the Internet, unfortunately none of them I succeeded with. I decided to start with replacing necromancer's skeleton with a new summon, itc a goatman( just 4 experiment) ; in fact, none strategy i found with tones of excel writting in Data .mpq files, occured to work. :(

So, lemme ask a question - if there is anything i accidentaly passed by, knowing nothing about it's existance, alike some *basics* well-known to the rest of the world except me instead... ;)

Be glad for any hint of knowledge. Sorry in advance, if my topic breakes some rules here - it wasn't intentionaly, after all.

Regards,
Burn

hellfreezer

Re: Question of the 1st step.

Post by hellfreezer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:37 pm

What exactly are you trying to do? I'm assuming that you have already extracted the data folder from the mpq and have downloaded a spreadsheet editor?

It's just my opinion, but I would suggest not starting with editing skills, I would start with some more simple modifications.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:22 pm

I can agree, but skills concerns me most, and due to their farther purpose they are necessary to be gained in advance, at so very first step.
I tried to replace necromancer skeleton summon with goatman. That was my purpose - im aiming to redefine necromancer skills and balance it successfully with d2lod original mechanics to experiment throughout whole gameplay and test my doubts and ideas.

I'm using MpqEdit, D2Excel - they finaly works, what i cannot say about other software like WinMPQ( yeah, i downloaded the media files, nothing changed at all, still i spread only unreadable bable over there) .

But, up to the point. 1st goal:
no. 1) Replacing skeleton as a basing summoning necromancer skill with goatman;
What steps should i take to achieve with this step, plz?

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Post by DragonlorSCB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:37 am

I'm certainly not an advanced modder so take this advice with a grain of salt. But one thing you could do is to edit the "necroskeleton" entry in MonStats.txt instead of having to edit the skill itself. Change the skeleton model and AI and any stats you want.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:11 am

kk, i will try to do it without messing up with skills.
Soon i'm going to write back about my efforts effect in here.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:58 am

DragonlorSCB wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:37 am
I'm certainly not an advanced modder so take this advice with a grain of salt. But one thing you could do is to edit the "necroskeleton" entry in MonStats.txt instead of having to edit the skill itself. Change the skeleton model and AI and any stats you want.
m8, it doesn't work. Any changes implemented into ''necroskeleton" cause no effect in game.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Go to monstats.txt
Find the columns Monstatsex and Code
Put in the matching entries from whatever monster you want your monster to look like (i.e. if you want your skeletons looking like goatman, put goatman1 into Monstatsex and GM in Code)

I strongly recommend looking up the guides for any txt files you plan on editing (kb/index?c=4), which will most likely at least involve Skills.txt, Monstats.txt and Missiles.txt if you plan on changing all skills.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Sec, n 2 check it.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Cypress wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:45 pm
Go to monstats.txt
Put in the matching entries from whatever monster you want your monster to look like (i.e. if you want your skeletons looking like goatman, put goatman1 into Monstatsex and GM in Code)

I strongly recommend looking up the guides for any txt files you plan on editing (kb/index?c=4), which will most likely at least involve Skills.txt, Monstats.txt and Missiles.txt if you plan on changing all skills.
Well...
I did exacty what you'd written above and what I can say is...
..now i canot even enter the game with necromancer( sorceress can do this) .

Any idea what went wrong and what should've been done to fix it?... :(

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Burn wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:43 pm
Cypress wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:45 pm
Go to monstats.txt

Well...
I did exacty what you'd written above and what I can say is...
..now i canot even enter the game with necromancer( sorceress can do this) .

Any idea what went wrong and what should've been done to fix it?... :(
Here
What went wrong? :(

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Note that editing your posts will automatically bump the thread, you do not need to make a new post each time. Just use edit.

The changes you have made to the necroskeleton look fine and should work.

As for the error, there could be a variety of reasons. One way this can occur is if you add a new skill to a character without adding a new skill to other characters. The number of skills available to each character must be kept equal. If that isn't the case, then I'd suggest describing what else you changed. If you cannot figure out what you changed, then you will have to check for bugs, the easiest way being to temporarily remove the txt files you have edited one at a time to see what txt file the error arises from (or you can remove half of all your txt files, then half of the remaining txt files, and so on, if it is proving very difficult to find).

hellfreezer

Post by hellfreezer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Change only the token to gm, change goatman1 back to what it was originally and try again. When experimenting with new things, make one change at a time so when a problem occurs you know exactly what is causing it. Of course it isn't always possible to change one thing at a time but here it is. This will change only the appearance, then you can change the stats, then the tbl file to fix the name, skilldesc to fix the text for the skill, but again, do these one at a time and once you accomplish one step, go to the next.

Also when getting that error, depending on what causes it, it is possible that the specific character you are trying is causing the issue and making a new necromancer may work. This has many factors and probably isn't the case here but for future reference keep that in mind.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Here we go... ;)

What suprises me due to this skill in game:
1) when lvl-up the loose colour...
2) I cannot add them any skills they might use( only once they casted blaze hitting whilst what was pointless in fact - i meant to let them cast blaze recognising an enemy in a distance)
3) still cannot add them any aura - i wonder how to change paladin's auras colors and apply a new one to summons.

Thx 4 advices. :*

Any idea how can I cause them( they r melee) to cast any spells or - if it's casting spells is impossible being melee whilst - cause them cast spells on attack, when stuck, on death etc. ?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 pm

You can directly give monsters cast on struck/attack/strike/death through monprops.txt. And if you want them to cast skills, you can use the Druid Bear AI and change smite to some other skill. As for auras, look at how the Fire Golem gains his aura.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Thx 4 response.
Aye, Druid Bear AI occured to be very considerable :D
However, still cannot achieve any aura added to the summon. Tried many ways and many times - even coppied firegolem aura with no effect added to the summon.

So, no ''on attack" and no aura still.
Also wanted 2 ask if any1 here know how to change skill description in game? Somehow my efforts between Skills.txt and SkillsDesc.txt seem not working at all. Also followed many guides, still succeeding with nothing like differ skill name. Onl my icon has been successfully implemented to the game.

Any advice how to deal with it, plz?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:10 am

SkillDesc requires you to use a string editor. I would recommend using AFJ Sheet Edit 1.12. Do not use AFJ Sheet Edit 1.11. Extract the patchstring.tbl from your patch_d2.mpq, put it into your data folder in the same location and use your string editor to edit the tbl. In the tbl you will find the strings that are referenced by SkillDesc.txt

As for your aura problems, where exactly are you adding it? I had it working by going into skills.txt, copy sumskill1 and sumsk1calc from the fire golem and pasting it into the same columns for the raise skeleton skill. Note that sumsk1calc determines the level of the skill, so if the calculation doesn't equal at least 1, it isn't going to show up.

For monprop.txt, you can refer to uniqueitems.txt to figure out what you want since the prop, par, min and max columns work in virtually the same way in both txt files. So for example, you can find Bonehew in uniqueitems.txt, find how it shoots out bone spears and then work from there to apply it in monprop to your desired monster. The only issue I can see is that in uniqueitems you can use the par column to reference a skill by name, and monprop seems to only use the ID of the skill, which you can find in skills.txt (so for bone spear, instead of putting Bone Spear in the par column, you would put in 44). Also note that for your monster to use a monprop entry, you have to put in the same name from your monprop entry into the monprop column in monstats.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:54 am

Cypress wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:10 am
As for your aura problems, where exactly are you adding it?
Even if I copy firegolem aura with the calculating formula's implemented to it in the very next column( without changing anything) it still not working at all. Cannot tell u why is that happening, sorry. Either I tried to change monster abilities in MonStats.txt, with the same result...

So, if i wish to add a proc on attack for a melee summon, I should add a weapon to it's eqpmt,... is that correct?
What about a casters? For example I dream about a melee minion that can temporarily cast a spell. Is it possible to be mixed?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:19 pm

You can add equipment via monequip.txt, but you can also add effects like a proc directly via monprop.txt. If you use monequip.txt, you have to first set the inventory column in monstats.txt for your monster to 1, otherwise it cannot use equipment.

You can also add auras through monprop.txt by giving them the aura directly just as the aura is given to unique items in uniqueitem.txt. Remember that for monprop.txt, the par column requires the skill ID (from skills.txt) and not the skill name and that you must link your monster's monstat.txt to monprop.txt by entering the specific ID from monprop.txt into the monprop column of monstat.txt.

For casters, the druidbear AI can support one skill of your choice. If you want more skills, then I believe your only option is to use the Shadowmaster AI, but the AI does have issues which are described and fixed here, but it requires code editing which is far beyond my understanding.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:38 pm

Shadowmaster seems 2 be free and doesn't care about it's spells...
Still dunno how to add aura basing on monprop.txt. Can u show me the line coz i find it much differ than u r explaining...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dunno why any monster I switch necromage 2 dies in a second like valkyrie on this very picture. Tried man thigs, onl thing that work is to switch to some monster AI but it's useless than - doesn't follow char neither fight 4 it.
How can I effectivel replace summoning necromage skill with some ranged summon that *can* cast spells?
And I gotta question - how to remove skeleton corpse requisity in spell?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to me that there is some code between necroskeleton and necromage that doesn't work after changing AI and appearance of necroskeleton. Mb it coz those skills r connected with requisities? How can I remove values responsible for necromage conditioning with necroskeleton, merely - how to separate those skills? Mb that will fix the issue... :(

My 1st purpose here is to make a new, one only, necro skill tree( tree, not trees) and test it in game.
Skills I invented in my sketchbook r based on, as follows:
- summoning: there are two summoning there, one is a melee tricky and agressive one i wish to summon with nice animation on it( aura, procs, buffs etc.), whilst second one is a fling ranged caster using a) curse, 2) missilies similar to bone spirit or guided arrow, or new kind of inferno-like skill(however the 2nd part will take more time due to animation...so, as for beginer I find 1st 3 existing alread in game skills abbility much better) 3) teleportation skill( like imp for example)
- one morph: I intend to add a rushing skill charge alike, using whilst character morphs into existing crature from game( like leap or charge, dunno which one will fit better to this purpose, I'm burning for any advice here). morph will work only whilst pressing skill button( like in pal's charge) and will be based on mana or stamina( depends what is possible and easier to be done)
- buff spells: one is merely armageddon, but I wish to enlarge it's range to whole screen, still basing on random targeting the area of falling meteors. 2nd one is kind of buff I can cast on minions( so similar to enchant but I want it 2 make them achieve bigger velocity and ll on striking)
* there's also one more buff but I dunno if it's possible: for example I want to add some vortex animation like hurricane, to my summon, and cause it to deal different type of dmg. I saw many guides ''how to make a new skill" about curses, new summoning spells, new missile spells... all of them occured to failed, dunno why :(
- spell that causes corpse explosion and unsummon a selected allied summon( with some nice new animation)
- passive that causes a spell on kill to the summons and gives them aura( if this mess-up in mon-.txt is so complicated mb this one can be much easier, however i'm cheating myself now...)
- passive that causes to cast a spell from character at a number of targets in a specified range
- totem-like spell that creates a portal with minons spawning abbility. Portal can be destroable( or rather *targetable) or temporarily, depends on what is possible and easier. It can be eveninfernolike and manabased if it's not too complicated.
* one more thing. I want to make some of those skills to cost life instead of mana.
** and more one more thing - remeber old d2lod bloodgolem? He could ll for itself and necromancer. How to make necromancer and summon life calculated together( for example I got 100 hp and summon a ''necroskeleton" with 50 hp to get... 150 hp for me and my summon; but if he takes dmg, im taking them too, and in opposite) .

That skilltree is my puropse for now and - i'm not preassuring any1 of u - if some1 wishes to help me a bit with hints and advices I will rly appreaciate it :)
rn I can explore .txt files and add new icons, and make a bigger stash and cube and backpack space( however something moved my backpack to the left on screen...), and I mess up a bit with misc.txt causing nothing special( cannot implement this rejuvenation potions to any store, dunno why( I marked all the points alike hp and mana potions with. Also, no jewels and charms appeared in stores either) except bigger quivers, key and id and tp books amount.
So, I'm at the beginning still :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've checked is that in DC6Creator I can still successfully add a new icon the necromage, as we can c

however, after experimenting with Monstats.txt( im many ways, belive me...) we got as a result

unsummoning itself necromage with AI and appearance of valkyrie( i've choosen her coz she can cast spells, that was the purpose...)
When there r no enemies nearby, there is only blaze animation in summoning area, whist with enemies arround she appears and dies immidiately.

This blaze made me think of this...

that in Skills.txt I have connected blaze animation to the NecroSkeleton( instead of corpseexplosion) . When I switched to blaze in NecroMage either, nothing changed and nothing turned right, however, that thing lures me to idea that those skills r somehow connected and only by separating them in some script( dunno which one is it) I can make NecroMage working.

In addition I copy here the whole line of necromage from Monstats.txt
necromage 364 necromage 2 Valkyrie valkyrie NecroPet VK 1 1 1 11 11 0 valkyrie valkyrie 11 6 6 6 85 85 85 1 1 1 1 1 1 -50 -50 -50 12 1 28 28 28 5 400 480 141 9 24 250 18 37 250 400 480 152 13 35 300 26 53 300 400 480 164 16 41 350 31 62 350 0
coz i dunno how to implement my .txt file to this post - sorry if I mess up with this :(

Help me plz. I want to preceed but I'm doing smthg wrong. :(

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 am

In general, shadow master is the best AI for a summon there is. Ogodei has created shadow master AI mini guide IIRC.

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Nizari wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 am
In general, shadow master is the best AI for a summon there is. Ogodei has created shadow master AI mini guide IIRC.
kk, after job I will check it, thx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still working on shadowmaster. Meantime, here's my whole tree sketch with needs

if some1 might have been interested in.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm

To use monprop.txt:

Go to monprop.txt
Create a new row
Add 0 to the column *eol (this is at the very end of the row and whenever you see this, you should put in 0)
In the column "ID", choose any name you feel like. I used iceman since I'm giving frost nova on striking.
Set the "prop1" column to some stat. If you want an aura, put in aura. If you want an on striking skill, use hit-skill.
Set the "chance" column to 100, as this will make it so the property is always given.
The "par1" column depends on the stat given in "prop1". For an aura, on striking, when struck, on attack, etc, this corresponds to the "ID" column of the skill in skills.txt.
The "min1" and "max1" also depend on the stat given in "prop1". For an on striking skill, "min1" is the chance for the monster to cause the effect (if you give it to frost nova and set it to 50, it will have a 50% chance to cast frost nova every time it strikes an enemy). For an on striking skill, "max1" is the level of the skill (so if it is set to 16, it will cast level 16 frost nova).

Now the monprop is complete, but your monster needs to have it assigned.
Go to monstats.txt
Find your monster
Put the same "ID" from monprop.txt into the column "monprop".

Now whenever that monster comes into existence, the property you have defined in monprop.txt will be applied to. Note that this only applies for normal difficulty, if you want to apply it in nightmare and hell, repeat with the (N) and (H) columns of monprop.txt

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:29 am

Still, I cannot deal with the matter of necroskeleton coz im aiming to replace it with a new skill.

I decided to create a new line in Skills.txt and SkillDesc.txt, as below

with line script
necs1 3 1 3 3 0 18 Skillname357 Skillsd357 Skillld357 Skillan357 StrSkill3 2 StrSkill4 StrSkill23 ln12 9 ln12 2 StrSkill21 StrSkill23 skill('Summon Spirit Wolf'.ln56) 2 StrSkill22 StrSkill23 skill('Summon Spirit Wolf'.ln12) 13 skill('summon fenris'.ln12) 1 40 Sksyn Skillname248 2 25 Skillname228 25 Skillname238 0

with a line script
Summon Grizzly 357 nec necs1 119 fireresist "min(ln78,85)" coldresist "min(ln78,85)" lightresist "min(ln78,85)" poisonresist "min(ln78,85)" damagepercent ln12 tohit skill('Summon Spirit Wolf'.ln12) item_armor_percent skill('Summon Spirit Wolf'.ln56) druidbear grizzly 1 S1 druid_summon 1 0 none SC SC xx 1 4 1 20 1 1 8 5 0 1 1 skill('Summon Fenris'.ln12) hp % ulvl pet lvl 25 % feral add to damage 10 % feral damage per level 0 resist 5 resist/lvl 1 300 20 8 30 10 15 20 26 30 60 10 15 20 26 30 896 64000
and it resulted with

funny situation with I can c the bear icon in RM Skills( S) but I cannot to choose it anyhow.

I found a note in Web that I am supposed to be using some .tbl editing software and I downloaded this
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49397
however I never tried any .tbl file editing. Is there any guide how properly work with such files?

%

@Cypress, thx 4 guiding, gonna check it as soon as possible, rn I need to delete corpse requisity from necromancer summoning skill. Is my idea of replacing it with totaly new skill based on other skills scripts a right way?...

Burn
South Africa

Post by Burn » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:02 pm

O.K., I've tried out ur monprop.txt guide and as a result I'm sharing those picture

Here, i got following probs:

1) only aura applies to the summon

cannot apply ''hit skills''/ ''hit-skill''/ ''hit_skill"/ ''hitskill"/ and other comb. with ''on hit'' ect. :-|

how to fix it?

2) I succesfully applied bloodgolem abbility to ll and share this to necro.
What should I do 2 apply this abbility as a buff skill( it's another skill from my tree, Vampiric Touch) ?

3) As u can c I've already found out how to switch sum-portrait( called ''icon" in .txt files) ; how to add my own one?

4) how to remove corpse requisity to cast this spell?

5) As 1 can plainly c I enlarged my stash, eqpmt and cube. However, I gotta problem with backpack. It's replaced by 3 squares to the left. Which parameters r responsible for this and how to fix it? Below my inventory.txt p.screen.

and a line coppy( if it helps anyhow)
Amazon 320 640 0 441 10 8 339 626 153 384 29 29 331 386 26 138 55 112 398 453 68 148 54 82 575 630 26 138 55 112 398 452 6 57 54 51 470 493 22 46 23 24 470 493 68 92 23 24 470 493 115 139 23 24 508 562 64 89 52 25 508 562 96 148 54 52 508 562 6 59 54 53
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reedit:

I discovered the same prob with stash.

it is replaced somehow three squares 2 the left.

Mb any1 got a proper stash/ cube/ backpack values set 2 make it work? Would rly appreaciate this...
Btw, how to make my own backpack/ cube/ stash pictures?
rere:

I also made a few changes with Misc.txt, esp. I removed mana and healing potions from merchant's store, and applied rejuvenation potions instead( intentionaly) . Also I enlarged arrow/bolt quivers - successfully. Alas, rejuvenation potions don't appear in store

Dunno why :?:
re3:

kk, i found this: https://www.d2mods.info/forum/kb/viewarticle?a=183; lemme study it a while, hope it will resolve one prob. :oops:

re4:

O.K. ... :lol:

here's my next question which is
how to fix this?

It was supposed to be like that:

I searched throughout forum about resolution but still found none similar prob. :-| So... I would rly appreaciate each help.

re5:

Is there any guide how to use Afj tbl editor? Mb it's obvious but it seems I cannot find the way to open SkillDesc in there... :cry:

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 pm

1) hit-skill should work. Make sure that the skill you are using for this has the column ItemEffect set to 1.

2) I don't really understand what you are asking, but if you want a buff skill then you will likely want to create a skill based off another buff skill, like a warcry or enchant.

3) Refer to the SkillDesc.txt guide, particularly the IconCel column

4) If you don't want to use corpses, then convert your skill to a summon that isn't based off the necroskeleton. Compare what necroskeleton has versus what a summoning skill that doesn't use corpses has and change accordingly. Referring to the Skills.txt guide will make the process easier. In particular, the srvstfunc, srvdofunc, cltstfunc and cltdofunc columns are probably responsible.

5) Refer to the inventory.txt guide. The plugin you used for your expanded inventory also likely includes hints as to what you should set in inventory.txt

As for Afj tbl editor, it edits strings in tables, such as patchstring.tbl. You use a sheet editor to edit sheets such as SkillDesc.txt. SkillDesc.txt, a sheet, references strings from tables, such as patchstring.tbl, by whatever you put into SkillDesc.txt. Refer to SkillDesc.txt

Return to “General Mod Making”