[ 1.14b , exp ] DC6 Modification cause crash

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

theoutlaw
Canada

[ 1.14b , exp ] DC6 Modification cause crash

Post by theoutlaw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:04 am

Hi,
I'm a software engineer and worked in game dev for about a year.
Diablo 2 mod making is something I wanted to try for so long.

I know that some of the tools here are old and it might be because i'm doing the dev on win10 , but trying to compile/override a dc6 file ( data/global/ui/panel/invchar6.dc6 ).

I modified the .PCX file , everything looks fine.
I've generated the .dc6 using both dc6con and dc6 creator.
Both generated .dc6 file that looks ok ( I extracted them again to see ).

But whenever I try to open the inventory or char stats the game crash with a internal error on line #1383 ..

I don't know yet how to debug this ( if there is actually a way , i have some debuggers on my pc .. ) .. but it's not like debugging my own env , i'm new to this one.

Can anyone tell me where this can come from or how to debug the line 1383 please ..
Thank you !

MoB666
United States of America

Re: [ 1.14b , exp ] DC6 Modification cause crash

Post by MoB666 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36 am

i'd guess that your frames are incorrect or you're missing one. i split the extracted pcx so the stat screen and inventory screen are separate whole images. i open dc6 creator, click new, import stat screen pcx, let it split the frames, then click "add" under the frames section, then import the inventory screen. save. you have to click add or it will overwrite the last frame of stat screen and i believe will give you an error. hope this helps

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Also make sure that the frames are no larger than 256x256, as this causes an assert in vanilla D2.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

theoutlaw
Canada

Post by theoutlaw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm

MoB666 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36 am
i'd guess that your frames are incorrect or you're missing one. i split the extracted pcx so the stat screen and inventory screen are separate whole images. i open dc6 creator, click new, import stat screen pcx, let it split the frames, then click "add" under the frames section, then import the inventory screen. save. you have to click add or it will overwrite the last frame of stat screen and i believe will give you an error. hope this helps
I did this with dc6 creator .. however ..
Necrolis wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm
Also make sure that the frames are no larger than 256x256, as this causes an assert in vanilla D2.
On the tutorial , it says that they are 320x432. I Let them this size.
The pcx is already 320x864 and the tuto say to let them this size.

My final dc6 is 320x864 , do i need to shrink them to 256x512 ??

Thank you for your answer.

Edit :: it works , was just not letting it split the frames and was loading each image as a single 320x432 frame.

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:01 am

I know you figured it out, just posting this for anyone else gets the same issue:

Hey i just did this myself yesterday actually, i had no problem really im working with Gimp for the images, you just have to click frame 0 then show frames. Tick the box that says save image. Once again you will need to click show frames, type 0004 in the box that says from frame (assuming your working in DC6 Creator) Tick the save image box and hit OK. It should have saved them in 2 images which are 320x432. Once you have finished editing your images create a new file in DC6 Creator, Then import your stats image first it will ask you to split the image hit yes, now click add, to add a new frame, make sure frame 0004 the one you just created is highlighted, and import your inventory screen the same way, also say yes to split it. Overwrite the old one and repack it. BOOM done.

Return to “General Mod Making”