Custom cube recipes are outputting rares instead of uniques

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

deadwingmx

Custom cube recipes are outputting rares instead of uniques

Post by deadwingmx » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:06 am

Hi, I'm just starting with modding D2, trying to understand how to try out a custom unique in game.
I added a unique amulet to UniqueItems.txt as so:

Code: Select all

UniqueTest, 100, 1, 1, 110, 85, amu, Amulet, 3, 5000, blac, allskills, 3, 3, res-all, 45, 45, 0
And then I added a cube recipe to CubeMain.txt to try it out (2 tome of town portal -> UniqueTest) as so:

Test Unique, 1, 100, 2, tbk,qty=2, UniqueTest, 0
When I try the recipe in game I get a random rare amulet.

I tried swapping "UniqueTest" in the cube recipe's output field with "Windforce" which gave me a rare Hydra Bow instead of Windforce, and "9gm,uni" which gave me a rare Martel De Fer, instead of Gavel of Pain.

Then I tried "Horadric Staff" and "SuperKhalimFlail", both which did produce the corresponding unique item.
I noticed that Horadric Staff and SuperKhalimFlail have their own identifying entries in Weapons.txt, so they are the only type of their item that exists in the game?

Darkquake
Australia

Re: Custom cube recipes are outputting rares instead of uniques

Post by Darkquake » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:16 am

It still has to meet requirements to spawn such as ilvl. You can test to see if the game is failing unique item spawn by looking at the curability of the rare, if it's a failed unique it will have triple the normal durability.
I make things? I make things.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/darkquake

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:34 am

deadwingmx wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:06 am
Hi, I'm just starting with modding D2, trying to understand how to try out a custom unique in game.
I added a unique amulet to UniqueItems.txt as so:

UniqueTest, 100, 1, 1, 110, 85, amu, Amulet, 3, 5000, blac, allskills, 3, 3, res-all, 45, 45, 0
And then I added a cube recipe to CubeMain.txt to try it out (2 tome of town portal -> UniqueTest) as so:

Test Unique, 1, 100, 2, tbk,qty=2, UniqueTest, 0
When I try the recipe in game I get a random rare amulet.

I tried swapping "UniqueTest" in the cube recipe's output field with "Windforce" which gave me a rare Hydra Bow instead of Windforce, and "9gm,uni" which gave me a rare Martel De Fer, instead of Gavel of Pain.

Then I tried "Horadric Staff" and "SuperKhalimFlail", both which did produce the corresponding unique item.
I noticed that Horadric Staff and SuperKhalimFlail have their own identifying entries in Weapons.txt, so they are the only type of their item that exists in the game?
to create a unique item you also will have to edit patchstring.tbl

which is located in patch_d2.mpq
data/local/LNG/ENG/

deadwingmx

Post by deadwingmx » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 am

Aha! Looks like that's indeed what was happening. It spawned after I switched ilvl to 1. Thanks
How does ilvl factor in when using cube recipes? Does my character level need to be at least the item's ilvl?

Darkquake
Australia

Post by Darkquake » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:42 pm

As long as the output is equal to or greater than the required ilvl the item will spawn. By default I believe it uses the ilvl of the first recipe input but you can change it using any of the three lvl fields in cubemain.

lvl: Controls the level of the item that is created in the first output field
Note this value force spawns the item at this specific level. Its also used in the formula for the next two fields.
plvl: This column uses a portion of the players level for the output level.
ilvl: This column uses a portion of the first input's level for the output level.
kb/viewarticle?a=284
I make things? I make things.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/darkquake

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Odd, in the past ive never been able to get it to display in game properly without adding a new string.

Return to “General Mod Making”