What's the ideal OS for playing and modding Diablo 2?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Pareto Front
Brazil

What's the ideal OS for playing and modding Diablo 2?

Post by Pareto Front » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 pm

Hello guys,
I've installed a Windows XP in my secondary notebook (my main is in maintenance), but I had problems installing the drivers, apparently the minimum OS for installing the drivers is Windows 7, and this is the OS that came with the purchase. So I think about installing it, but I'm undecided about the version (starter, home, ultimate, pro, etc) and also about the architecture (32 | 64), I don't know if there's a significant difference. I would like indications, it need not be limited to windows 7. I just don't have much experience with linux and frankly I don't like windows 10, besides disliking it was previously installed on this notebook but it didn't work well probably because the hardware is obsolete. I apologize if I posted in a wrong area of the forum, which I thought was most appropriate. I also apologize if there is anything about this here already, maybe I did not look right. Maybe my doubts are silly, but I am really undecided and consider very much the opinion of users of this forum. Thanks guys, I've already learned a lot from you.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Re: What's the ideal OS for playing and modding Diablo 2?

Post by devurandom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 am

Depends on what you want to do.. Win7 works fine for most mods, except old ones, but as of yesterday there's no more patches for Win7. It's a dead OS for using on the internet. You can install most any OS into a virtual machine like Virtualbox, even XP. With that you get compatibility with older mods.
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:09 am

Between the two i would stick with Windows XP, just my personal opinion though

Pareto Front
Brazil

Post by Pareto Front » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks for the reply tmuhlhausen and devurandom.
tmuhlhausen wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:09 am
Between the two i would stick with Windows XP, just my personal opinion though
I tried XP but had problems with the drivers. I ended up putting Windows 7 Home Premium, I also had problems with the drivers, but I ended up getting it, on Windows XP it would be very difficult to get it because my hardware is from win7 home basic and, from what I searched, no drivers were produced for it on Win XP. Now I can manage to play and modify some things :).
devurandom wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:00 am
Depends on what you want to do.. Win7 works fine for most mods, except old ones, but as of yesterday there's no more patches for Win7. It's a dead OS for using on the internet. You can install most any OS into a virtual machine like Virtualbox, even XP. With that you get compatibility with older mods.
Since Windows 7 will no longer be updated maybe I will switch to Linux in the future, but I will only do so if I face problems. I also intend to avoid connecting to the internet now that I already have the system working. Can you also play and modify Diablo 2 on Linux with ease?

Darkquake
Australia

Post by Darkquake » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:55 pm

I use 7 and I've had no problems with modding or playing, but like it's already been mentioned it's now officially unsupported by MS.

Wine works somewhat with d2 but I definently wouldn't reccomend it as it doesnt run natively on unix platforms.
I make things? I make things.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/darkquake

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:15 am

Install VirtualBox in Linux then install XP in VM.

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:12 am

Google is also giving out 400$ worth of free cloud services to use over the course of a year, which you can install many different Versions of OS on and just connect remotely. The downside is OS's like Win XP - Win10 arent available but still.. free lol

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 pm

Linux is a free and open source operating system. It's more technical to learn, however it's more reliable than MicroSoft, and it doesn't collect data on you, unless you're using Google Android which is based on Linux.

I've seen server uptimes of 2 years without a reboot in linux.

Fawahar

Post by Fawahar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:55 pm

I was working extensively with ubuntu Linux + wine for several years and can recommend it as well. WIN10 works for me also smooth. It really depends what machine you have and how much extra time you can spend learning some tweaks on Linux for example. Both have pros and cons, I'd recommend to try different OS for few weeks just for comparison.
As I look into the cave
The fog doth fill my eyes
Inside lies the answer
A cause for my demise

Return to “General Mod Making”