Need help getting rid of this "evil force" on my splash damage jewel

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Ciciliato
Brazil

Need help getting rid of this "evil force" on my splash damage jewel

Post by Ciciliato » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi there everyone!

I've been trying to fix this problem I'm having for a while, and even after several attempts, no luck.

So in a nutshell, I just want to give a description to my melee splash jewel (something like Path of Diablo does). In case anyone is wondering where I got it from, here's the link: viewtopic.php?t=65367

For it to work, I had to edit 5 txt files:

ItemStatCost.txt
MagicPrefix.txt
Missiles.txt
Properties.txt
Skills.txt

From what I've read, I needed to add an entry to a tbl file (which I did, and yet it didn't work). Then I found out about SkillsDesc.txt, made the according changes, but still no luck. Here's what I've tried:

1. Added an entry to SkillDesc.txt, where the Skills.txt skilldesc (D) column matches SkillDesc.txt skilldesc column (A) as follows:

Code: Select all

skilldesc	SkillPage	SkillRow	SkillColumn	ListRow	ListPool	IconCel	str name	str short	str long	str alt
proc skill (special, melee splash)	0	0	0	0	0	2	Skillname357	Skillsd357	Skillld357	Skillan357
I didn't bother editing the other columns (besides 0 at the very end). I've tried copying another skill and just editing the skilldesc and str columns and it didn't work wither, so I don't think that's the problem.

2. Edited the Patchstring.tbl found in Patch_d2.mpq adding all of the str columns in SkillDesc.txt (as a test), like:
SkillName376, text "Test 1"
Skillsd357, text "Test 2"
SkillId357, text "Test 3"
Skillan357, text "Test 4"

But it's still called an evil force. Am I editing the wrong tbl file? Is the name I put on the tbl file somewhere else (it's a jewel attribute, but I assume it's treated as a skill, no?).

Thanks in advance!

jessedazebra
Paladin
Zimbabwe

Re: Need help getting rid of this "evil force" on my splash damage jewel

Post by jessedazebra » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 pm

You don't need to edit Skilldesc.txt. If you didn't change anything in the text files, then add a string splash3 in patchstring.tbl and add a desc to it, something like "Melee Attacks Deal Splash Damage".

Ciciliato
Brazil

Re: Need help getting rid of this "evil force" on my splash damage jewel

Post by Ciciliato » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:23 pm

jessedazebra wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 pm
You don't need to edit Skilldesc.txt. If you didn't change anything in the text files, then add a string splash3 in patchstring.tbl and add a desc to it, something like "Melee Attacks Deal Splash Damage".
Thanks a lot my dude, that did it. I guess it refers to the ItemStatCost.txt file, I'd never have found it by myself. Cheers :)

Return to “General Mod Making”