item_kickdamage cap?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

tomasemma
Sweden

item_kickdamage cap?

Post by tomasemma » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:10 pm

I guess no-one thought people would use this. I have an offensive martial mastery, which adds bonus to kick damage. But now it doesn't add anymore damage, I guess it's capped at +255%? It's problematic, because my kicksin needs a lot of hits to kill hell monsters. I tried to just add normal +%damage, but that didn't increase the damage as much. Oh well, still have bonuses to deadly strike and crushing blow as well, and a poison mastery. :mrgreen:
"No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united Cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: item_kickdamage cap?

Post by Cypress » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:28 am

How exactly are you adding the kick damage to your character and how do you know it is capped at +255? I was able to get at least +1000 kick damage adding onto kicks via an aura (which I tested in comparison to +1000 damage melee attack which seemed to do about the same damage). I presume the limit is +8192 kick damage based on itemstatcost.txt.

But regardless, item_kickdamage is really wonky to use. It is broken when added as a property via items since it always gives double the supposed value (which makes it workable although awkward), but when added via skills it is even worse, completely ignoring dmg% and the strength bonus (it only factors in percent kick damage from kick skills). The only way I can think of to make it work well when given by skills is to assign it to an aura and use the clc (stat('item_kickdamage'.accr)*(100+stat('damagepercent'.accr+1.2*stat('strength'.accr)))/100 to simulate the normal percent damage increase that applies to kick damage that doesn't come from item_kickdamage.

Unrelated, but are you sure Deadly Strike works? The kick functions normally ignore it altogether, along with critical strike, dmg% against undead/demons and +damage.

It might also be worth noting that strength and dexterity semi-secretly add flat kick damage (that isn't broken), although giving the player tons of strength/dexterity might be an issue since they give many other additional benefits.

tomasemma
Sweden

Post by tomasemma » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:55 am

i have a passive martial mastery.

item_kickdamage skill('Offensive Martial Mastery'.lvl)*10

wow, actually, it seems capped at +64%? it adds 10% per level, and it stopped adding dmg after 7 points in the skill? changing from 700dmg to 1100dmg.

as for deadly strike, i at least get the animation?

i have myrmidon greaves, since they have max damage of 149, it might cap at 200dmg or something? really odd...

i'm using 1.14b
"No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united Cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:57 pm

I think I know what the problem is. In itemstatcost.txt, you need to change SendBits of item_kickdamage. By default, it is 7 which means 2^7, or 128, but since it is signed it is actually 2^(7-1)=64. From my brief experimentation, lowering or increasing the limit doesn't actually do anything except change what the LCS will read. Even if I set it to 2^(2-1)=2, I'm still able to deal around 1000 damage by adding +1000 kick damage despite the LCS thinking my damage is much, much lower.

Return to “General Mod Making”