Monsters that look like Hirelings

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Monsters that look like Hirelings

Post by DragonlorSCB » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:15 am

My goal was to make an area filled with monsters that looked like all of the hirelings. I've had no trouble creating new monsters before based off of existing creatures (I even made a monster based off of the Camel animation and that isn't even a full set of animations) but I can't seem to get the hirelings to work.

I've tried using existing monsters and just replacing the Code field with the hireling Code but that didn't work. I copied a hireling and then changed some things like the AI and such but that didn't work either. In both cases the monster was invisible.

Exceptions: The Barbarian works fine and I have Flavie (rogue graphics) attacking the player but I can't use that to spawn others elsewhere.

Is there something special about the hireling graphics/animations that I'm missing?

Cypress

Re: Monsters that look like Hirelings

Post by Cypress » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:09 pm

I was able to make an aggressive mercenary by cloning act2hire, setting AI to goatman and AIParams to 100/1/100. The invisibility issue you are getting is probably due to the monster using an animation mode it does not have; for example, act2hire does not have A2, so if the AI ever tries to use A2 it will break.

You also need to be sure that you are connecting the correct monstats2.txt entry (act2hire) since GU uses a lot of different pieces.

You could also produce "new" animations by cloning some of the animations it already has and setting them for the non-existent animations. This will allow you to use any animation mode.

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Post by DragonlorSCB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:19 am

There's a lot of AI fields (that I've never touched before) so I'm not sure where 100/1/100 goes or what it even does.

Does anyone have the entire line of a functional monster merc in the txt file that they can post? If I have something that works to begin with I should be able to tweak it from there to suit my needs.

Cypress

Post by Cypress » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:31 pm

See: kb/viewarticle?a=360, kb/viewarticle?a=359 and viewtopic.php?t=36230. AI parameters would be the aip1-aip8 columns in monstats.txt, so 100/1/100 = aip1=100, aip2=1, aip3=100; more specifically, for goatman AI, aip1 is the chance to approach, aip2 is the delay if aip1 or aip3 are not selected and aip3 is the chance to attack if in range. This AI works since the Act 2 mercenary has all of the required animations. I guess the easiest way to make a hostile merc would be like this though:

In monstats.txt:
(1) Clone goatman1 and rename the id column to something else (I called it evilmerc)
(2) Set the hcIdx to be one greater than the previous (so if the previous monster is hcIdx 757, then this should be 758)
(3) Set code=GU, baseid=evilmerc, remove nextinclass (baseid should be the same as the id column of your monster, unless you plan on creating a chain, in which case nextinclass should be the next in the chain and baseid should be the id of the first of its kind)
(4) Set monstatsex=evilmerc

In monstats2.txt:
(1) Clone act2hire and rename it to something else (I called it evilmerc)
(2) Set nosel=1 (so that you can select it)

All you have to do after that is set it to spawn by referencing its ID in Levels.txt, so that it actually spawns somewhere.

Return to “General Mod Making”