Is there an easy way to change cast speed breakpoints?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

flyspray091
Australia

Is there an easy way to change cast speed breakpoints?

Post by flyspray091 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 am

Basically I want all classes to have the same cast speed breakpoints as sorceress, so that everyone is on the same playing field. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about doing it. As far as I know, there's no txt files that control this. Are there any simple dll edits? Has someone already done this that I can copy? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

EDIT: After another round of searching today, I found a few posts on animdata.d2 and how to export it to a txt for editing.

Problem is, I seem to have no idea how mpq editors work.

I tried the Ladik mpq editor first. It seemed simple to understand, but after adding the edited animdata.d2 file, the mpq was corrupted. I thought I made bad edits, but even just removing the base file and putting it back corrupts the mpq. Doing anything at all corrupts the mpq. I don't know if the problem is me or the program. I did a bunch of googling, changed the compatibility to Diablo 2, but still couldn't make it work properly.

So I tried winmpq, but this seems to do nothing. I remove the animdata.d2 file and add the altered one in...nothing. I straight up delete the file from the mpq...still nothing. No error, everything seemingly works fine. Again, I have no idea what's going wrong.

I feel stupid, but I'm blind in the dark here. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is there some way to properly pack a mpq that I'm unaware of?

EDIT2: I figured out my problem with winmpq...a spelling mistake when adding the file. So embarrassing, lol. It works now.

That said, I could still use some help with the animdata.txt file. I read in some other thread that it's not safe to change the frame's column, and it can cause all kinds of issues. That was a very old thread, though. I did a quick experiment right now, and changing the frames works, but causes a graphical blinking. Is it best to only adjust the animation speeds? Or is there some way to safely adjust the frames themselves?

Cypress

Re: Is there an easy way to change cast speed breakpoints?

Post by Cypress » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:38 pm

If you want to adjust the frames individually, you will need to edit the .dcc and .cof files for the given character. For the .dcc, you will want to remove or add frames via a DCC editor, and for the .cof you will want to adjust it accordingly with a COF editor or hex editor such that it knows how many frames are in the .dcc you edited. You would need to do this for every single animation of the given character; so for example, the amazon has 8 different casting animations, so you'd have to do this 8 times just for her.

Alternatively, you could just change AnimationSpeed such that it is equivalent for all characters. All you should need to do is adjust such that the animation length * animation speed/256 (see Nameless's post in viewtopic.php?t=53773) is the same for all characters. So for example, if the amazon has an animation length of 19 and the sorceress has it of 13, and you want the amazon to be as fast as the sorceress, then set the amazon's animationspeeds for casting to 256*13/19=175 (disclaimer: I've never actually done this before, so it may or may not actually work as easily as I think it works).

flyspray091
Australia

Re: Is there an easy way to change cast speed breakpoints?

Post by flyspray091 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Okay, thanks for that. I'll play around with the ani speeds. I think your equation is correct, but 175 would be slower, so I set it to 175 on top 256, ie 431. That seems quite close to sorc, although admittedly I still struggle understand much of this stuff, lol.

Return to “General Mod Making”