Looking for a list of Bugs and Fixes

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

zjat
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Looking for a list of Bugs and Fixes

Post by zjat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:17 pm

I'm aware of BaseMod and PlugY and various full game-mods that have done some CE fixes.
Are there any other mods that do only bugfixes and QoL additions?

Is there a list of all mechanical bugs that anyone knows about? (Animation x cancels effect y, or skill z doesn't work properly because w, etc)
And if they exist, the various fixes that can solve them?

If it doesn't already exist I wish to compile such a list.

Thanks, Z

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: Looking for a list of Bugs and Fixes

Post by Cypress » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:37 pm

The only purely bug fixing mod I know of is fixed 1.13c txt files, although it mostly fixes txt file structure issues rather than game bugs. Most of the bugs in the following list can be fixed, although many of them will require extreme reworking of the txt files. I've made a mod with a lot of these fixes, although I've never uploaded it.

Also, see (these are where I sourced a lot of these bugs from, although a few of the ones I listed I've never seen described by anyone else):
https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/ind ... =Diablo_II
viewtopic.php?t=47602
viewtopic.php?t=66555
viewtopic.php?t=65798
viewtopic.php?t=56033

---

Monster Arctic Blast has returnfire=1.
Batdemon and sandraider AI is broken.
+% fire/lightning/cold/poison skill damage displays as if it applies to ranged attacks, but it does not.
The entries for El1pct/El1mind/el1maxd in monstats.txt override the entries of all other element types (this is why Gloams do so much damage).
Decrepify is broken when cast from MonCurseCast, which Oblivion Knights use.

Amazon bow/crossbow skills do not gain +% attack rating.
Magic Arrow assumes +dmg% does not apply to the added damage, even though it does.
Cold Arrow says it deals reduced damage, but it doesn't.
Strafe does not accurately display the number of missiles it will release.
Immolation Arrow does not benefit from +% fire skill damage, even though the game thinks it does.
Penetrate and Blessed Aim use the same state, which causes Blessed Aim to override Penetrate.
The "next hit always misses" bug, especially in the context of Dodge and Avoid with sequences.
Power Strike and Plague Javelin do not gain +% attack rating.
Lightning Strike is completely desynced.
Lightning Fury submissiles are released upon colliding with a wall or hitting the ends of its range, but the cltside missiles are invisible.

Wake of Inferno's damage display is extremely inaccurate.
Blade Sentinel and Blade Fury assume +dmg% does not apply to the added damage, even though it does.
Blade Sentinel and Blade Fury do not show the 1/2 damage multiplier when equipping a two-handed weapon.
Death Sentry has a slightly lower radius for the physical portion of the corpse explosion than its elemental portion.
Blade Shield's weapon damage multiplier doesn't display it applying to the skill damage, even though it does get multiplied.
Cloak of Shadows causes crashes when used against specific monsters, usually with special sequences like Leap Attack or some monster spawning skills.
Shadow Warrior and Shadow Master have all of their aurastats/passivestats set equivalently to the values put for aurastatcalc2 and passivestatcalc2.
Dragon Talon, Dragon Tail and Dragon Flight assume +attack rating doesn't apply, but it does.
Dragon Talon and Dragon Flight assume +elemental damage doesn't apply, but it does.
Blade of Ice ice cubes instantly disappear instead of melting.

Bash's added damage only applies to leeching, it doesn't actually increase the damage you deal.
Double Throw and Throwing Mastery assume that they are multiplicative, but they are additive with other dmg% sources.

Summon Spirit Wolf gives +attack rating instead of +attack rating%.
Spirit of Barbs adds less damage return than it says it adds.
Rabies and Hunger are bugged, missing every other hit at certain breakpoints for the Werewolf, and always missing every other hit for the Werebear.
Firestorm's damage calculation is inaccurate, underestimating how much damage it actually deals.
Molten Boulder assumes that +% fire skill damage applies, but it doesn't.
Arctic Blast deals 10/24 times the amount of damage it says it deals.
Cyclone Armor is supposed to have three different stages like Bone Armor, but it doesn't work properly since the eventfunc doesn't update the counter (only Bone Armor can).
Armageddon overestimates its fire damage per second.
Armageddon assumes +% fire skill damage applies to the fire damage per second, but it does not.
Armageddon adds physical damage, which isn't displayed on the skill.
Armageddon fire patches instantly disappear instead of fizzling out.

Terror doesn't adjust for the difficulty reduction that applies to its curse duration, thus making it display a higher duration than it actually has.
Corpse Explosion has a slightly smaller physical radius than elemental.
Raise Skeleton and Raise Skeletal Mage have an incorrect life display, since they do not multiply the added life from Skeleton Mastery by the base +% life of these minions.

Smite only applies off-weapon +dmg% to 1 point of damage, even though it applies to Smite's total damage.
Charge can break if Holy Shield runs out while you are charging; this prevents it from being used for the rest of the game.
Holy Shield adds damage to smite's display as if it were based on the current level, even though it uses the level when Holy Shield was cast.
Fist of the Heavens desyncs horribly and, based on the txt files, seems to give more bolts than it should since the calcs are wrongly described.
Concentration says it prevents action interruption, but it instead interrupts actions, doing the exact opposite of what it says it does.
Sanctuary doesn't actually give +dmg% vs undead, and according to the files it should also give +AR vs undead, which it also doesn't give.

Inferno deals 10/24 times the amount of damage it says it deals.
Blaze can create cltside-only fire if spawned during a sequence.
Enchant says that it reduces the damage bonus to ranged weapons, but this is not true.
Chain Lightning badly desyncs.
Frozen Orb releases cltside-only novas every time it collides with an enemy, even though it only produces a real nova when it runs out of range or is destroyed by an obstacle.

Many, many, many instances of skills dishonestly or not at all describing their functionality, like:
Sacrifice ignoring +dmg% vs demons/undead and Deadly Strike/Critical Strike.
Impale ignoring Critical Strike.
Double Swing giving +50% attack rate.
Skills describing attack rate as attack speed, even though they are inherently different.
Skills describing velocity as faster run/walk, even though they are inherently different.
Thunder Storm not describing its decreased delay with levels.
Energy Shield not describing the exact multiplier of damage taken to mana.
Blessed Aim, Resist Fire, Resist Cold, Resist Lightning not described the base level passive bonuses.
Multiple Shot not describing trigger arrows.
Skills not describing or not taking into account nextdelay, despite it being an extremely important part of calculating skill damage.
Valkyrie not describing its synergy from Decoy which gives +% all resistances.
Valkyrie, Decoy and Shadow Warrior not describing the +% all resist they gain per level.
Blessed Hammer not describing its 50% damage vs demon bonus.
Holy Bolt not describing that it ignores undead magic immunities.
Sanctuary not describing that the user ignores undead physical immunities.

zjat
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by zjat » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:19 am

Cypress wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:37 pm
I've made a mod with a lot of these fixes, although I've never uploaded it.
Just fixes or an entire mod? Care to share?

I'm curious how much of these listed issues require CE vs .txt fixes?

I'll be digging through this list and these links for a while I'm sure.

Thanks!

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 am

zjat wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:19 am
Just fixes or an entire mod? Care to share?
I did make a fix-based mod, but it's not really at the level of quality I want for a public release. So I'm now working on another one which will have thorough documentation, as well as sections for listing of bugs that cannot be fixed for various reasons. It's nearly done, I'm mostly just cleaning up skilldesc.txt so that it is less awkward to work with.

EDIT: It is now uploaded (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67078)

zjat
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by zjat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm

This is pretty amazing! Thanks!

Just to clarify this is a major 1.13c txt update + 1 code fix for the druid anims?

Been hunting for whatever I can find and found this assassin bug list the other day (dropping here for now):
https://www.diablofans.com/forums/diabl ... -and-hopes

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 am

zjat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm
This is pretty amazing! Thanks!

Just to clarify this is a major 1.13c txt update + 1 code fix for the druid anims?
I think so, although I'm not exactly sure what you mean. It doesn't have any hardcoding if that is what you are asking.
zjat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Been hunting for whatever I can find and found this assassin bug list the other day (dropping here for now):
https://www.diablofans.com/forums/diabl ... -and-hopes
Thanks, although I think all of the described bugs require hardcoding, significant file restructuring or are not actually bugs. I suppose I could make a second set of txt files with the restructuring, although that would make it difficult to work with and potentially very buggy.

zjat
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by zjat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:16 pm

although I think all of the described bugs require hardcoding
With d2:r coming I am planning to make my own code edited package or a plugin. I'll be using 1.13c as a starting point.
I'm still in the collection and research phase, as there's a lot of known fixes and bugs floating around.

Return to “General Mod Making”