Act 5 hirelings description

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Devangell
Belgium

Act 5 hirelings description

Post by Devangell » Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 pm

Hello all

I want to know how you can add a description for the act 5 hirelings below their names in the hiring screen.
Adding a new string in my table and in hirelings.txt in the column 'hiredesc' doesn't seem to do the trick.
I also noticed that the values in that column are not directly taken over in the tables.
For example, for the act 2 mercenary - defensive, is shown 'def' but in the table, the string for this is 'PalMercExST1X', so I don't how and where these two values are linked.

I guess this might be hardcoded thing? Any help is very much appreciated!

Grtz

kain_abel_666
Canada

Re: Act 5 hirelings description

Post by kain_abel_666 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:29 pm

That is the name of the string in one of the Table files - you would have to check either expansion string.tbl or patchstring.tbl for what it translates to.
I've stayed quite a while and heard what you have to say. Now it is time for the real Kain to emerge.

Devangell
Belgium

Post by Devangell » Tue May 04, 2021 6:54 pm

The text you put in the column 'HireDesc' isn't directly taken over in the tables. So if I type in 'ActVMercX' in this column for the barbarian mercenaries, insert it into my table with the wanted text, it doesn't show anything ingame. It seems that the text you use in that column is somehow linked with another string in either a .txt files or in the .dll files.

kain_abel_666
Canada

Post by kain_abel_666 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 pm

The descriptions may use indexes (the number the string is in the table) instead of actual string names. The act 5 mercs may be hardcoded to not look for a description sting. If you are modding Diablo v1.10f there is a d2mod plugin for merc descriptions.
I've stayed quite a while and heard what you have to say. Now it is time for the real Kain to emerge.

Devangell
Belgium

Post by Devangell » Wed May 05, 2021 11:05 pm

Ye, I thought so it would be hardcoded.
Therefor I used an existing one and changed the hirelings a bit. Thanks for the help though!

Return to “General Mod Making”