[Tutorial] Auras with Duration

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

erevos
Hosted Forum Moderator
Paladin
Greece

[Tutorial] Auras with Duration

Post by erevos » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi there, this is my first tutorial, something simple but i think cool. I also felt the need to contribute something, even this small, to this great community. So, i've used this trick with Holy Fire, Holy Shock and a Poison Aura, the result is a castable aura with a duration that can increase with level or stats. Auras that use auratargetstate cannot work cause the effect affects your character instead of the mobs. There might be a way to make this to work but i have not found it.

So...

1. We go to the aura we wanna change in skills.txt and we use: 28 to srvstfunc and: 54 to srvdofunc (this are the Blade Shield functions).
2. In srvmissilea we use: blade shield attachment (this is the Blade Shield missile and does not need any editing in missiles.txt, for clean work though i would recomend to clone him, change its name and use his new name in srvmissilea, also to your new missile update its skill in Skill column with your auras name).
3. In auralencalc we type: ln12 and in aurarangecalc: par4
4. on the columns: anim | seqtans | monanim | add SC to all of them.
5. on the columns: manashift / mana / lvlmana, we choose the mana costs that suits us better. As aura our skill did not cost anything.
6. we remove the: 1 in aura column and we add: 1 to periodic column.
7. copy the entries of Blade Shield skill from par1 to par4 and paste them to your aura's par1 to par4 columns. par1/par2 controls the duration of our buff-aura and the increase of this duration per level (1 second equals to 25). Par2 might not be useable but i left it there. Par4 while indicates a range value it does not work, but can be used for the skill description so i put there: 3 to indicate its small radius.
8. go to skilldesc, find your aura and in the entry StrSkill18 use: rng for the desccalca entry. Then to the next available descline add: 12. In desctexta type: StrSkill20 and in desccalca type: len. These two entries will display in game Duration/Range of aura

And thats it, your aura is now a buff that can actively done what it previously did as an aura. While this change radicaly decreases the range, after playing with it i have found it more fun cause it suits better its role for a melee char and it releases the skill slot so we can use another skill in right slot while your "aura" is active. Also, the decreased range allows you to increase its damage.

If you have any question or thoughts feel free to write them down.

erevos.

[EDIT] fixed 4. step to add animation so it will not crash.

Return to “General Mod Making”