[1.10] various questions

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Nordos

[1.10] various questions

Post by Nordos » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:59 am

Good day,
I am a somewhat beginner regarding modding, but read through various guides and threads. Still, there are some problems I haven't found an answer for.

1) rand damage for skills.
- I wanted a melee skill to deal and have missiles that deal 'rand' damage, but the damage field gets ignored. Burn for example does work, though the damage is pretty weird in that case

2) (small) leech for cast skills.
- Sounds easy, right? Just use the Vampire Firehead function! Well, first of all I needed extensive testing until I realized taht the missile needs damage (even if the damage is then overwritten through the skill) for the function to work. Problem: Well, I couldn't control the amount of leech this way, it was way too high!
- Next idea was to deal 'life' damage. Turns out, the damage only work in conjuration with physical damage, needs to be at least 1 and ... does the same as firehead function. The leech just seems to be an on/off.
- Building up on the second idea, I modified teeth that it deals physical damage + '1 life' damage, converted 90%-95% (exact values need testing after all) phy damage into magical, so that there is only a small part left dealing physical damage that has leech. Small problem: The damage is now displayed higher than it actually is, thanks to the '1 life' damage I carry with me... Is there a less convulted way to do what I have done differently?

3) removing immus.
- Yep, extensive MonStat editing to reduce all resistances. Got it. Problem: There are still the monster enchantments that give a lot of resistences. Can I somehow somewhere reduce the amount they get or is it CE? Is there any other way to prevent them from reaching 100+ res, maybe by giving them all a prop that leads to a passive skill/aura that reduces said resistance when resistance is higher than y [100}? Any other way I may have overlooked?

I may or may not come up with more questions once I am truly stumped again. I thank you for any answers you can provide.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: [1.10] various questions

Post by Cypress » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:13 pm

For (1), you should have no issue dealing rand damage with melee attacks, so long as the skill itself can deal elemental damage. For example, changing mag to rand for Berserk will make it start dealing elemental damage conversion. Or if I disable conversion entirely (clc4=0) and use emindam and emaxdam instead, then it will deal the defined amount of rand damage.

As for missiles, I don't think it's possible for them to deal rand damage. At best, you could create some complicated missile system that simultaneously deals all elemental damages at once. So for example, if you want it to deal 5-100 "random" damage, then give it 1-20 fire damage, 1-20 cold damage, 1-20 lightning damage, 1-20 magic damage and 1-20 poison damage. It's janky, but it would kind of be like rand damage.

Nordos

Post by Nordos » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:41 am

Thanks for the answer. I suppose 1) is just too much work then :P
I kinda encountered a new problem, which may be common knowledge: the passive_[ele]_mastery stats don't work on summons/minions. How do I increase their elemental damage, though?
For something like self-build minion missiles, one could hardcode it as a synergy, but that doesn't work for revives, for example. Is there another stat that does increase elemental skill damage for them?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:24 pm

Minions can be set up to inherit aurastats and passivestats from their creator. For example, if you were to give Revive aurastat1=fireresist and aurastatcalc1=stat('fireresist'.accr), then your revives will gain fire resistance equivalent to your fire resistance. Note that the aurastat/passivestat values are set on creation, so if your fire resistance increases, then your minion's fire resistance will not update to that value unless freshly created.

In your case, you'd want to give your pets the stats passive_fire_mastery, passive_ltng_mastery, passive_cold_mastery and passive_pois_mastery.

As for self-build minion missiles, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. Could you give an example? But in most cases, the passive_elem_mastery would scale it as expected. If you have a specific case that isn't working, then let me know and I should be able to come up with a solution that would be effectively the same as passive_elem_mastery stats.

Nordos

Post by Nordos » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:02 pm

My problem is, that they don't use the fire mastery stat (they do use the fire pierce stat, though).
I tested it with Revive and reviving a shaman. I have the mastery in the aura fields and the pierce in the passivefields. Now, I have seen other summons use both Aura and Passive stats, so I assumed that both are taken into account when creating the summon.
This is an example of the ele stat I gave them for their passivestats:

passive_ltng_mastery skill('Revive'.blvl)*15 + clc3*(skill('Revive'.blvl)/20)+skill('Skeleton Mastery'.lvl) * skill('Skeleton Mastery'.par4)

the clc3 here is a combination of various thorn stats, and is used (and works) in other areas, too. To begin with, since I skilled Revive to 20, it should already gain 300% damage by default, yet my revived shaman deals the same damage, whetever I have a formulae or a '0' in the passive_fire_mastery stat.

Regarding the missiles, I meant to simply hardcode it. For example, for my Skeleton Mages missiles, I gave them a synergy to their inherited thorrns (which are equal to all accumulated thorn stats scaled by skeleton mastery).

EDIT: It seems to be a revive specific problem (?), because my other summons do inherit their passive damage....

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:50 pm

I see what you are saying now. Elemental damage of missiles in missiles.txt is NOT improved by +% Skill Damage, unless ApplyMastery=1 OR if the missile is linked to skills.txt via the missiles.txt Skill column. As such, you will need to set ApplyMastery or the Skill column for each and every monster missile. You could also just take the quick route and set ApplyMastery=1 for every single missile in the game, but that would also make a few player skills apply +% Skill Damage where they previously didn't (although this wouldn't really break the game, any skill that cannot apply masteries in vanilla is very weak, like assassin charge-ups and armageddon fire patches).

Return to “General Mod Making”