Change drop rates from chests

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

ShinoVL
Brazil

Change drop rates from chests

Post by ShinoVL » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:45 pm

Hello guys!!! I'm new to the modding community, started with the idea of making mods for D2 LoD yesterday.
I want to make a lot of things, but my first objective is to change the drops from the chests you find at the end of caves/dungeons. I think the experience of going through this dungeons should be more rewarding. You go through all the trouble of cleaning the dungeon and at the end you find a shining chest that won't drop nothing useful. If you are trying to play in a efficient way, there is a strong argument to skip this caves altogether. After I have a better understanding about modding, I might change other things like monster density and exp gain in these dungeons with this objective of making then more appealing. Right now I only want this chests to drop some rare grade equipment, a good pile of gold, have a good chance to drop gems and runes and have a relevant chance of dropping sets and uniques (2~4% maybe?)

My research right now:
- I have MPQ View and D2 Excel so I can open the mpq files and edit the .txts
- I have taken a look at the "Intro to the D2 Files and File Guide/Tutorial Masterlist" section of this forum to develop a generic understanding of how the files work (To really understand how each thing work you take a lot more time)
- I have read this guide: https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-2/item-generation/ to understand the process the game goes through for dropping itens
- I have read this guide: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threa ... hests.380/ to try to understand how chests work in the game

The problem is, I was kinda expecting to be able to do these things without changing hard coded stuff. But after reading this last guide it seems that the function that determine the drops and qualities of the itens in the "sparkly chests" are in fact hard coded. There is a group of cases that can occur, each one with it's own rules. I don't now if it's possible and how to change what I want by just manipulating Treasure Classes. Can some one help me with this?

Return to “General Mod Making”