more pets!!! I want MOOOORE

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

schnuppy

more pets!!! I want MOOOORE

Post by schnuppy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi all!

since my holy grail in LOD vanillia is almost done i decided to try myself modding D2 now. I have that wish a few years already... it will be a horde-mod... everything must be at least 5 or 10 times that much than normal. I already read quite a bit and also succeed in altering levels and monsters and density and also speeds of missiles... the easy stuff at least. :-|

But sadly with many skills it doesnt work if i just change the numbers like i think :(
So i have to start asking and boring you... sorry for that. First question is about pets. I read a few times already, that you just can have 1 grizzly and just 1 Iron Golem or 1 Golem ect.
OKAY. I know that now. But...

How can it be done in any way? Just altering Petmax doesnt work, and at least in skills.txt there is nothing in my eyes, which could solve that problem for certain pets.
What do i have to do? The areas are full of hordes, the summoners need more elite pets. Pls Help!

Should i simply try creating a new pettype, or can i define them all as minior pets such as skeletons or ravens, so that there is no limit? Although it wouldnt be that nice to have them all counted together ofc. Or can it be maybe done with a reanimate mod at a new RW? So that your pets running around you generally are not counted at all? Problem here would be that you just have a static/non increaseable skill lv. But then i can simply make more RWs for a pet and make RWs for small-charms...

Even the wolves and hydras cant be increased as desired. Its really horrible. Although i somehow managed to alter the vines, so that everytime they crawled from one place to an other, there where 3 or 4 visible smaller worms, witch came out from the ground... and that looked pretty funny. But there was just one vine attacking then.

I am able to try everything, which can be done be txt-modding, or simple changes, if i know, what to change and how that file can be opened.
But deeper coding would surpass my options atm.

Hoping for help :-|

PS: General question for editing skills - is it wrong to just alter the numbers in the skills.txt without altering theese skills in other files too then? So many skills are becoming invisible/buggy, after just changing one single number from i.e. 12 to 20. I guess changing DMG or HP or simple other parameters mainly worked though? Or is even that wrong and will cause bugs?

GreenHeaven
France

Re: more pets!!! I want MOOOORE

Post by GreenHeaven » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:02 pm

Altering petmax column in skills.txt should be enough.

If you write 4 in column petmax in Fire Golem skill, you can summon 4 fire Golems in game at the same time. Just remember to save the excel sheet before launching the game.

Always make a backup in case you screw your txt!

schnuppy

Post by schnuppy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 am

I tried that the 8th time now... it didnt work ofc, but then i tested the skills in the direct mode and there everything surprisingly worked... so thank you very much for the fast help!
There must be something wrong with the last step, putting the .txt and .bin in Win-MPQ then.

That is my normal way until now, like i read it in the "Idiot's Guide to D2 Mod Making v1.3":

- extract the .txts with Win-MPQ
- then i open and alter them with D2excel v1.0
- then i save the .txts in the data/global/excel folder
- then start the game with -direct -txt, make a new char and s/e
- take the .txt and the .bin and add them into the .mpq

Besides my Win-MPQ problem everything like i do it is okay, isnt?
Do you use the same programms (D2excel v1.0/Win-MPQ) or are there better options?

GreenHeaven
France

Post by GreenHeaven » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:39 pm

You don't have to put back the .txt into the mpq. Just leave all modified .txt files in data/global/excel.

With -direct and -txt the game should read your files correctly. I am using PlugY myself to launch the game but I am unsure if you need it.

You should read again the basics for starting modding. It takes a couple of hours of trial and error yet it is extremely rewarding once it works ;)

Return to “General Mod Making”