How could you change it so that Crafted Items roll a color like rare items do?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

PD2Cat

How could you change it so that Crafted Items roll a color like rare items do?

Post by PD2Cat » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:22 am

Hey everyone,

My name is Cat and i have no idea about modding, but i play a lot of Project diablo 2 and i really love colored chestplates / Helmets :) , a lot of players in the Community would like to see Crafted chestplates/Helmets/weapons to roll a color just like rare items do ( red from life mod etc).
We asked one of the devs about it and the answer was basically, if we can find out how to fix/change it they could maybe do it, but its not worth to invest a lot of time on because it is a pretty minor change.

Quoting the dev:

"this isn't something you can solve within the txt files
if you can find me the location of the function that applies the colors to items, I can tack it on to the end of the crafting code"

that is what brought me here :D, does anyone know how you can change crafted items to gain colors from specific attributes just like rares do? and if you do, how do i communicate this in the best way to said devs :D?
anything to point me into the right direction would help me a lot, thank you in advance!

Edit: PD2 is on 1.13 LOD

EDIT: WELL! i got good news, we figured it out and i thought rather than deleting this post here i will let you know what was changed to make it work;
copy pasting what the dev said in discord;

kinda hard to eli5 but basically I added a switch case to that function for crafted items that just redirects to the magic/rare portion
patches look like this:
{ D2DLL_D2COMMON, 0x252CD, 0x04, FALSE, 0x01 },
{ D2DLL_D2COMMON, 0x25804, 0xDB, FALSE, 0x01 },
{ D2DLL_D2COMMON, 0x25805, 0x52, FALSE, 0x01 },
{ D2DLL_D2COMMON, 0x25806, 0xD7, FALSE, 0x01 },
{ D2DLL_D2COMMON, 0x25807, 0x6F, FALSE, 0x01 },
// &Asm_D2COMMON_MagicRareItemColorSwitchCase
extended the switch case range to include 8 (crafted) and pointed it to the magic/rare

hope this might help someone some day!

Return to “General Mod Making”