New project, different engine

This forum is for members of the public to post any announcements relating to Diablo 2 Mod Making including mod and patch releases amongst other similar subjects.
Sied

New project, different engine

Post by Sied » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:54 am

Hello, I’ve played Diablo 1 and 2 for many years now, I don’t see Blizzard making any plans to remake the two existing games in the series at the moment, I was hoping we could take the initiative to remake the two onto another engine ourselves...

-- this isn't one of those "make this for me threads" I'm actually planning on doing this, and would like to see some support from the community here.

I’m looking for a talented team to put together and with the help of the community to get this project up on its feet, I’ve been thinking about this for a while now but never really had the time to get around to it, college and the girlfriend taking up most of my time.
I still can’t figure out a name to call it, Blizzard’s a bit picky about copy write issues, and I don’t want my project getting shut down… and so far it’s just me, myself, and I…

Right now what I’m looking for is putting together the entire team basically, I’d like to use a system similar to Left 4 Dead’s (one level per map or something) and have the dynamic AI-System and build on that.

My main goals are to convert the engine to support a similar game-play system to Diablo II’s and a mix of some new concepts while getting input from the community as a whole. Something of this scale will take a few years if not longer to make it a quality product (which is what I want). If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post them in this thread and I’ll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Take note: I’m just one person, I don’t have any skills that can be of use other than leadership and voice acting skills, so I’m looking at putting together a team of skilled people who can do this with me and make this thing happen. I’m looking for people who’re skilled with the Source engine game code and able to use tools with ease, I’ll be going to various sites to get some more help.

As for other such I’m also looking to get a URL for the un-named mod, I was wondering if the Phrozen Keep would like to support it.

As I said, you have any questions, shoot.

ImperiusDamian
Great Britain

Re: New project, different engine

Post by ImperiusDamian » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me!

I'm not a programmer but I'm good with HTML/CSS and I'd be happy to beta test also!
"... though we are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

SpearGirl stories and more @ The Imperium: http://theimperium.elementfx.com/index.php

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Limiting yourself to an engine that requires a purchase of a value product is going to chop down the amount of people able code for this, thus this is probably better suited to a source forum. As for support, you'd need to pm onyx about that, if you just what a site, email the owners of hugelaser(iirc its alex, goes by the name of raptor)
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:11 am

If you plan to modify Left 4 Dead this is going to be L4D mod and not D2. Thus said I don't think hosting it around here is a good idea. :roll:

Before deciding how to do and what to do please consider:
1st and foremost: comparison and research on the game elements (graphics, controls, UI modification etc.) in order to see if it can be done at all.
2nd: a clean storyline that will fit the new environment/gameplay;
Terms Of Service - Written for a reason.
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

Return to “Member Аnnouncements”