a friend and I have been working on a simple -direct -txt mod. We're playing every other week with a big group and it has been a blast. Here's a download link for version 2.1 as a d2se plugin:
It is a casual PvE mod, aiming at people who want a short exciting trip into the maws of hell, without having to learn obfuscated new rules, cube recipes, rune words, best farming locations for set or unique items, new maps, etc.
- Strength increases spell and weapon damage (+10%/point)
- Vitality gives passive regeneration
- Dexterity gives magic find, stamina, as well as %damage
- New stat "protection" on armors that reduces damage taken
- Three types of armor: Heavy (high protection, reduces speed), Light (high def), Mage (no protection, increases mana and mana regeneration)
- No stat restrictions on weapons or armor
- Resist potions for all elemental damage types
- Most of the crap and bloat removed, such as trash affixes, low-level affixes, low-level item drops, worthless items, ad-hoc synergies
- No more free healing and mana potions
- Most of the things that limit builds removed
- Max level 20, only normal difficulty
- Most skill cooldowns removed
I also suggest not using the cube or mercs unless you find the mod too hard; although in some spots, it can become necessary.
The mod has been tested with the current patch (1.14 something), but since it's a txt only mod it should work with nearly all recent patches. It certainly works with every patch that has the token of absolution.
Older version: 1.3