Diablo 2 Randomizer

This forum is for members of the public to post any announcements relating to Diablo 2 Mod Making including mod and patch releases amongst other similar subjects.
Sunbeam

Diablo 2 Randomizer

Post by Sunbeam » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Hello everyone!
A few weeks ago I released the first version of the Diablo 2 Randomizer. As with randomizers for other games the idea is to take some elements from the game and shuffle them around or assign completely new values. An example might be unique items with attributes from other unique items. Or shuffled set item stats. Or new colors for enemies.
Since no problems (bugs, crashes) were found I wanted to show the project to some more people.

You can see some examples of randomization here:
(Not everything is implemented in the program right now.)
https://imgur.com/a/08z2JQQ

The download can be found here:

A readme for the setup is included. The options currently have no detailed explanations. If something's not clear you'll have to try it out. This (as other things) is planned for the future.

I'm looking forward to your feedback. Have fun! :)

Should you have any good ideas for what to also randomize please let me know!

Lady Isabelle
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Re: Diablo 2 Randomizer

Post by Lady Isabelle » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:52 pm

I played it before, it definitely has a lot of potential. However with the surprisingly powerful items, the enemies leave almost no challenge.

You could consider:

Random monster placement, with perhaps some configuration on the range of monsters that can be picked depending on the area level. So if a player were to set in the program a level range of say 5, it'll only pick monsters that are between level 1 to 4 in the blood moor, and 80 to 90 in The Pit in hell difficulty.

Random treasure class. Shift around the items that are in the treasure class, and even the amount of picks and nodrop.

Random amount of Unique monsters

Random amount of monster density

Randomly shifted character skills. Warmth may be randomly swapped for Werewolf for example.

Random items sold by vendors

Randomly shifted cube outputs. For example, cubing 3 chipped gems could just give you a Zod.

Random resist and leech values

Random starting character stats and gear

Random amount of experience needed to levelup

Random sounds. Should note however that ambient sounds may cause issues so you should consider ignoring those.

Random weapon and armor values, speed, durability, and cost.

Random monster resistances, damage, life, armor, movement speed and attack rating. I would strongly suggest keeping these a random % increase/decrease instead of shuffling them between different monsters.

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I had some of your ideas as well but chose to focus on the things that would affect all players / the whole game in the first version.

erevos
Hosted Forum Moderator
Paladin
Greece

Post by erevos » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:52 am

Hi @Sunbeam, very nice work and idea!

I love the Randomizer. I too do believe that eventually the irem rolls wil make you overpowered. I get the feeling you increased chance drops too? If yes, i wish you will consider return them to default cause they will make you power faster.

I would recommend, perhaps rare, sets, uniques items to roll one or two less affixes to balance out the good rolls, and not to mess with monsters.

Another thing i would recommend is to exclude "increased stack size" to roll on bows, swords etc.

Random runewords would be nice too.

Cheers

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:22 pm

erevos wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:52 am
Hi @Sunbeam, very nice work and idea!
Thank you very much!
erevos wrote:
I get the feeling you increased chance drops too? If yes, i wish you will consider return them to default cause they will make you power faster.
Actually the randomizer does not change these values. Must have been chance or a bug. 😉
erevos wrote:
I would recommend, perhaps rare, sets, uniques items to roll one or two less affixes to balance out the good rolls, and not to mess with monsters.

Another thing i would recommend is to exclude "increased stack size" to roll on bows, swords etc.
Yes, some kind of balancing would definitely be better. For now I only shuffled the values. Interpreting them to balance them would be a bit harder. However the way it works now should in theory allow the use of mods which introduce new attributes (or whatever you may want to call them).
erevos wrote:
Random runewords would be nice too.
I think these shouldn't be too hard. However I assume that players could be frustrated not knowing what's coming when they insert the runes into items... Finding an item with random stats requires no work beforehand.

erevos
Hosted Forum Moderator
Paladin
Greece

Post by erevos » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:04 am

Well, probably its a bug, i've tried it with a 20ish char and with a new char, the newone had in the first 4 drops, 3 yellow items and a blue. That can never happen in vanilla game. Just an example.

About runewords, well, the old ones will work too so it is a matter of risk if someone wants to try a random one, like the gambler.

Im proposing less numbers of affixes cause there is a need for the player to make sacrifices and choices. Lets say that you leave it as it is, a 70-80-90 lvl char can easily roll in every piece of gear block chance, with a shield he could be a fortress. And with so many rolls/affixes he could have max res and high dmg.

I dont know the extend of the tool but if it can roll the number of affixes too, with a rarer chance to roll the full number, it would be another alternative with very little work.

Anyway, just some ideas, om not an expert in modding, i just love D2 :D

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 am

erevos wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:04 am
Well, probably its a bug, i've tried it with a 20ish char and with a new char, the newone had in the first 4 drops, 3 yellow items and a blue. That can never happen in vanilla game. Just an example.
It might be a leftover from testing. However I don't recall having a high droprate in my tests. Or did you just mean chance for magic items? The chance for unique items can be set in the randomizer as you have probably seen...
erevos wrote:
About runewords, well, the old ones will work too so it is a matter of risk if someone wants to try a random one, like the gambler.
Yes, that would be the only way to do it. And then depending on the runes you have you could get something useful. Would be nice. ;)
erevos wrote:
Im proposing less numbers of affixes cause there is a need for the player to make sacrifices and choices. Lets say that you leave it as it is, a 70-80-90 lvl char can easily roll in every piece of gear block chance, with a shield he could be a fortress. And with so many rolls/affixes he could have max res and high dmg.

I dont know the extend of the tool but if it can roll the number of affixes too, with a rarer chance to roll the full number, it would be another alternative with very little work.
The best way would probably be to only allow shuffling between items of similar level, so that level 1 items can not get stats from high level items.
erevos wrote:
Anyway, just some ideas, om not an expert in modding, i just love D2 :D
I am not a modding expert myself. I read up everything I needed from this website. :D

erevos
Hosted Forum Moderator
Paladin
Greece

Post by erevos » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 am

I mean for the yellow items.

Yes the range level on affixes probably is another good solution. Or since its a Randomizer with choices, you can have a choice for the range level, a choice for number or affixes etc. So someone could choose one of them or both of them.

dreathean

Post by dreathean » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Hey! Just wanted to check and see if further updates are being made on this mod? Also got a few questions:

Is there any way to make this work with Plugy? Haven't been able to figure that out as I'm not super familiar with utilizing the D2 mods, but it's unfortunate not having the QoL of Plugy in conjunction with the randomizer.

Can you retroactively use the randomizer on a character? Or will each successive use of the randomizer only impact new characters made?

Does the randomizer impact each unique once in the same way? (ie, will a changed unique mean all drops of one unique will maintain the same changed state, or will each drop of the same unique have wildly different affixes?)

Hope to see more come of this! Huge fan of randomizers in games, thank you for everything you have done already. Cheers

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:08 am

Hi there! :)
I've been working on other things in the meantime, so there are no updates for now.
However I'm still looking for good ideas on what to randomize.

Actually I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with PlugY. However I haven't tested it myself. But the randomizer only changes the game's data tables and none of the game's code. So there should be no problems.
What kind of problems did you experience?

Since no changes are made to characters using it with a preexisting character should work. However there *might* be some problems and because of that I recommend not doing it.
dreathean wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:02 pm
Does the randomizer impact each unique once in the same way? (ie, will a changed unique mean all drops of one unique will maintain the same changed state, or will each drop of the same unique have wildly different affixes?)
Yes, all uniques stay the same once they are randomized.

I'm glad you like it! :)

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Version 0.1.1 was released!

It's just a small fix for a problem that occurred when extracting files with some Diablo 2 installations.

performancer
Denmark

Post by performancer » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:54 am

hello, i love all kinds of random stuff. i sadly cannot get this to work. it launches version 1.14, i assume that is the problem. i don't have an install folder that is v 1.13, i use modmanager normally. is there some workaround for this?

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi! I haven't tried the randomizer with version 1.14 myself. Generally speaking I think it should work.
What exactly is the problem?

performancer
Denmark

Post by performancer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:52 am

it looks like i put the randomizer into the wrong folder, it works now :)

i was wondering, would it be possible to implement some sort of randomized skill trees and which skill belongs to who? for example, barbarian starting with teeth, dragon talon, conviction, lightning fury, war cry - basically all skills getting shuffled around from every class.
it could even go wilder, with each skill having their effects, duration and damage randomized by some thresholds, the thresholds depending on where on the skill tree they are and their level requirements, and how much they increase each level by some limits... so their position on the skill tree could also be random. i have no idea if this would be possible, but it would sure be epic. it would be amazing enough if the skills could be shuffled around while still retaining their location and level requirement.
though some skills would not work, because katars n stuff. or characters don't have the animations. i don't know if this could be made to work, though. i know that a lot of the classic characters can use their skills between each other, like i have seen other characters use leap and other skills you would think they did not have the animations for, but they do :o assassins skills, i think, are the ones that work the least on other classes. but even shadow warrior can mimic some of other classes skills without problem. i have seen her cast glacial spike, frost nova, and chain lightning from sorcs side, but then none of paladin or druids skills worked for her

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:53 pm

I'd suggest randomizing at least 2 skill trees per class. (you can keep the more hardcoded skills character exclusive). Although randomizing classes is probably more problem than it's worth.
Another interesting thing would be implementing a code edit to make monster levels tied to area level on normal (as well), so you could swap monsters around acts.

Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:05 pm

performancer wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:52 am
it looks like i put the randomizer into the wrong folder, it works now :)
I'm glad to hear this. :) Good to know that it works on 1.14, too.
performancer wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:52 am
i was wondering, would it be possible to implement some sort of randomized skill trees and which skill belongs to who? for example, barbarian starting with teeth, dragon talon, conviction, lightning fury, war cry - basically all skills getting shuffled around from every class.
I really like the idea and I initially planned to implement this. However I found out that not all classes could use all skills from other classes. There were missing animations and other problems.
The other thing was that skill icons were hardcoded, so you could not just switch them from the data tables, you would also have to manually copy the actual image files to different folders. Of course there's the chance that I missed something.

Return to “Member Аnnouncements”