Favorite Mod

This forum is exclusively for members to give feedback on the Keep's mod reviews as well for posting your own. NOTICE: Forum temporarily closed down for "renovations".

Moderator: Maxx Power

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: Favorite Mod

Post by jbouley » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:23 am

[quote=PhrozenHeart";p="82622"]From what I recall, Descendants of the Dragon was designed as an ultra hard mod for players that had already beaten Tekno's Ancestral Recall mod in hell difficulty.[/quote]

That's correct. But from what I've heard, even with a high-level character who survived Hell AR, DotD is damn near impossible to get through. ;)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Eisead
Champion of the Light

Post by Eisead » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:35 am

From my expert review eyes I would break the mods down into these groups.

Ancestral Recall :: Mod focus appears to be on what Diablo is all about, Kill masses demon spawns without much lag and without much item hunting.

Zy-El :: Like above but with more focus on lag and super item tweaking. You havn't seen masses untill you played this Mod.

Anything by Sir_General :: Whole new game, get ready for some fun times and customiztion. But from my experince (sadly not much) it left me with that 'I've been there before' feeling.

Baldur's Gate :: This used to be the Bread and Butter of PK, but fell beneath the cracks due to some annoying bugs and a long development chain. Version 1.07 is finialy in development.

Sorry, but I got to go to sleep, would finish but *yawn* sleep time is now :-|

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:28 pm

I would also have a category of highly cosmetic mods, including CryptForge and the Demon Trip series. These mods alter the game experience through massive graphical and skill behavior ovehauls. I'd also include Visions of Valor in this category because of its cosmetic nature, even though it does not alter the game mechanics at all.

the_brainaic

Post by the_brainaic » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:50 pm

I haven't played many mods (one, to the exact number), but the one that I have played I have LOVED. This is Sir_Generals Rune Mod, where you start from scratch and inprove your equipment as you go along. Everything starts out the same, with the exception ofthe class-specific items which have to be found, they cannot be bought. It can be hard due to not finding enough +damage runes (dammit, why are they ALL of the wrong element!), but as you get further into it it is very fun. once you comlpete the game and get a p/matriarch... You mule your items onto a new char and start again, getting to the harder levels much more quickly but at a lower level, meaning that although you have powerful armour/weapons/shield/rings/ammy/whatever, you can still die from a few hits. This is where it shines I think, although I haven't got a 2nd generation character so far. I have two chars, one is an axe barb who doesn't deal enough damagge to go along but has a huge hp, and the second is a bowazon which I am working on. She is maxing multishot, and then pierce, but is having mana issues. And their both loads of fun.

So if anyone has to try a first, real mod (by REAL I mean that it changes the whole focus of the game), try Sir_Generals Rune Mod. And play TCP/IP with Rhonlore. I can't play until halfterm because my machine was left at home. But after halfterm I am hoping to be able to play TCP/IP with many more people. I can't wait, but I need more people to try out and enjoy this great mod. As Rhonlore put it: 'More people should play this mod.'

The Brainaic

Izlude25

Post by Izlude25 » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:13 am

Personally i prefer the V&K's Middle Earth MOD because of the balance it offers to this now easy game.
The End Always Justifies the Means

Xenobi
Paladin

Post by Xenobi » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:33 am

[quote=the_brainaic";p="92232"]
. And play TCP/IP with Rhonlore. I can't play until halfterm because my machine was left at home. But after halfterm I am hoping to be able to play TCP/IP with many more people. I can't wait, but I need more people to try out and enjoy this great mod. As Rhonlore put it: 'More people should play this mod.'The Brainaic[/quote]

Yeah ive played Sg_Runemod with Rhonlore a few times, hes seriously obsessed with this mod. Then again, it is a GREAT mod.
Whenever my character is having trouble, I reset the game, but what happens to that world I reset? It's only a virtual world I realize, but thoughts turn into reality, and I fear that the world I abandoned was overcome by evil...

Eisead
Champion of the Light

Post by Eisead » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:46 am

I really want to try out Visions of Valor, but that would also mean I get to put up with Bnet. And that is not happening EVER.

But the concept is great, now only if we could get diabloii.net to endores it. Then we could direct a large number of those crazy Bnet guys over to the Keep, get them hooked. Its crazy I know.

But that has nothing to do with anything about the topic. I'm personally having a load of fun with Zy-El Multiplay right now.

Cyrus-Blaze

Post by Cyrus-Blaze » Tue May 06, 2003 10:12 am

well.. i have played quite a few mods recently, and so far the best ones are Sir_Gernerals Rune Mod, and Valhalla.

Rune mod is excellent just because it is very unique and different. but what kills it is the lack of online play :(

Now Valhalla is an excellent mod, and the best part is i can play it on open and have converted a few of my online freinds to play this mod and now, likie me, they rarely play vanilla D2 ;)

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Tue May 06, 2003 10:57 am

I haven't tried any of the recent mods because of work being done on mine. But, out of some of the older mods we have here, my favorites are......

1. Eastern Sun: This mod did all kinds of good stuff but the dramatic mass of new items and changes to existing items and skill stats are a couple of the things I remember the most about it. I used to play this on a small BNETW server with a couple of my local cousins. But, they've since moved on to other things.

In it, you had to fight Duriel, Andariel, and Mephisto again in the Chaos Sanctuary. That was pretty cool in the most recent release. In the first release that this feature was implemented, though, the bastards were damned near immortal :) . I'm glad that was fixed.

2. Darkness Weaves: The challenge factor brought about by the Ironman Rules brought about alot of new perspectives on the game and was alot of fun (and frustration, but fun nonetheless) to utilize hardcore characters.

3. The Demon Trip Series: The idea of playing as monsters happened to be one of my favorite ideas to see implemented. This was alot of fun for a long time for me. The new skills were also real cool.

4. CryptForge: No, not because I wrote it :) . I listed it because I like the idea of playing as the Prime Evils and utilizing their skills. I've thought of this idea for a long time but the inspiration to actually go about doing it never came into fruition until I played through Brother Laz's Demon Trip Mods.

I also like Diablo 1 style in graphics and functionality along with darkness and a more evil, gothic, undead, dark, and demonic feel to the Diablo game which is why I made a heavy effort to put this to work in the mod as much as possible.

5. Baldur's Gate: It's been almost a year since I've played this. However, I loved the skill changes made to this. I also liked the way the system of buying/selling stuff felt to me when I played it. I actually found myself having to really think about what I was gonna buy next, weighing in the pros and cons of each item on the market, and all that good stuff.

I liked Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and playing this mod influenced me to like them even more after playing it. The town portal animation GFX which looked like the teleportals in Baldur's Gate 2 were very cool as well. This is a mod I'll probably play again sometime.

6. Hell On Earth II: I hated to see this mod go. But, I really loved test-driving this mod when it was still available. However, since Goldark's mysterious Black Hole Vanishing Act, the mod is far out of date.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Tue May 06, 2003 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue May 06, 2003 11:19 am

Do you want a balance mod, uberl00t mod or a total conversion?
If it's a balance mod you want, try V&K's MEmod (which is great) and FoxBat's Seven Lances. The later patches of SL ruined it a bit by adding insane mana costs but I don't know about the very latest patch, FoxBat took a lot of flak and it is very possible that all those things are simply fixed now.

If it's an uberl00t mod, try Zy-El, or closed B.net. :roll:

If it's a total conversion, there aren't that many to choose from. Zhoulomcrist's Cryptforge is one, and it has prime evils as chars, but in 1.09 it currently doesn't have many modified skills. My old Demon Trip 2 mod does, but many techniques used in it are outdated and it admittedly does have a lot of bugs. Joel's Aeon's Tide and my Acid Reign are the major new conversions being worked on, should be finished within a few months if you can wait that long, and Zhoul will likely update his mod with new skills come 1.10.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

ex-vault13

Post by ex-vault13 » Thu May 08, 2003 6:16 am

I've been mod crazy lately, having gotten into mods again; all this after a year of going PvP crazy in closed Bnet, up until the whites started showing up.

RUNEMOD: I have to say this mod offers the most radically interesting change to gameplay of them all, despite the others' coding and graphical achievements. My rationale: its not always adding stuff but streamlining/restricting gameplay elements that actually sustains interest over time, not unlike the Ironman or Nood play styles or even Hardcore (at least for me, of course). If not for the fact the mod left out +skills, I'd have gone further with my lvl 18 javazon. Also, some skill enhancement would have been a nice compliment.

SEASONS AFTER: the +3 skills is a great idea, especially in SP, since it allows more character customization, and is forgiving of skill-placement mistakes. I actually never realized how much fun the bow skills are, esp. Freezing Arrow, then I promptly realized how overpowered zons are which is why I've never played them in 2+ years of D2 patches. Enq's web page is clean and organized, well-documented and constantly updated.

ANCESTRAL RECALL: what can I say, new Necro skills (cold-damage Bone Spear!) and Bruce Lee wanna-be Ass-assin kicking skill (Psychic Hammer) for my trapper. Now she's truly well-rounded. Now if only Teknokyo added Perfect Cell's (Eastern Sun) poison-damage Blade Fury, she'd be close to a perfect "real life Hollywood" ninja. Wish there was a Fire or Cold dmg. javelin attack, that would allow my pure throwing java to advance to Hell.

FURY WITHIN: I was about to skip this mod but when I found out the modders were "kababayans" of mine (go go Pinoys!) I had to give it a try. New monsters, cubing goodness, amazing below ground levels, etc. But why lvl. 40 for the prime skills but no xtra skill point to use for the others? And so much info to digest, a little overwhelming to the newbsters like myself. But I'm going to give it a go again sometime just to see the new graphics and all.

CRYPTFORGE: I'd played this a long time ago when I lost my internet connection and liked the idea of traipsing along dark and dank corridors like in Diablo 1. But for some reason, the claustrophobic and goth dungeony feel of D1 was never duplicated in the underground sections of D2, so I could never get fully into it (oh, and a game-stopping bug impeded progress even more ;) ).

Caveat: the farthest I've gotten along so far is with my lvl 35 Necro in Ancestral Recall, but only b/c he's been the easiest to play. But, again, after a while you realize its the same 'ol game and somewhat gets a little repetitive. If only Runemod had ias/ r/w / +skill mods, I'd still be playing it...

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Tue May 13, 2003 6:52 am

ex-vault13" wrote:CRYPTFORGE: I'd played this a long time ago when I lost my internet connection and liked the idea of traipsing along dark and dank corridors like in Diablo 1. But for some reason, the claustrophobic and goth dungeony feel of D1 was never duplicated in the underground sections of D2, so I could never get fully into it (oh, and a game-stopping bug impeded progress even more ;) ).
Actually, that was the ZhoulomCrypt mod, which I retired from development. The ZhoulomCrypt mod had a pretty short life on the forums.

It is true that the full feel of the Diablo 1 game was never fully recreated. I had actually warned users about that immediately after launching the first release of ZhoulomCrypt. :)

Many of its features were carried over to the CryptForge mod such as the 3 relics, the Diablo 1 Weapon/Armor GFX, etc... and then enhanced/added to the existing lineup of stuff. The Level-To-Level dungeon crawling didn't make its way into the CryptForge mod and I had given up on attempting to fully recreate Diablo 1's style and set out to merge what I had into a new and different style/feel for the CryptForge mod which I think came out real well.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Ravenswolf

Post by Ravenswolf » Thu May 22, 2003 9:55 pm

The giga inventory mod is a big bonus to gameplay, no more portalling to town every few seconds to sell new bits and bobs. It's also nice having a big cube and stash to store oodles of bits and pieces in.

But the major mod I seen to keep playing is Suicidal Tendancies which includes huge changes to items and gameplay, and is just fun even if you have played Diablo to death.

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:09 am

Of the mods I've played, I'd have to say that Xyrax 15 is my favorite. It's the most difficult, and has more changes than the others I've played. (ME, CD)

I nominate my mod (which is currently under MAJOR construction) as the second best. The reason behind this is that it's a total joke right now. You can effortlessly kill D with a dru using HUNGER! Oh well. That won't be the case much longer.
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Dark-Ally

Post by Dark-Ally » Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:56 pm

I Played alot of mods and my favourites were:
-------------
New Dawn X
HOE2
Eastern Sun
------------

Fortitude

Post by Fortitude » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:14 am

I must say that my favourites would have to be Hell on Earth II and Eastern Sun.
I was kinda dissapointed to hear that Goldark did a vanishing act (I started playing his mod well before learning of his disappearance) but I still think it is an excellent mod (especially because I managed to make a paladin that could kick serious butt :twisted: , most of my other efforts with this class has met with complete failure).
Happiness is a beltfed weapon

Zaharias

Post by Zaharias » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:17 pm

My turn ;Q! What is the best mod on 1.10 patch(im to lazy to turn on 1.09)
,oh and i am mostly looking for mods that change almoast all game ;Q(new skill graphics)but i wqant them balanced heck, even hard ones :D
And im also looking for crafting or rune mods.Btw,if u can plz give me liks pls ;)

:flamer: :black:
Thou art but a mere mortal........fool!!

Armadi

Post by Armadi » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:00 am

Zaharias: There aren't a lot of mods out yet for 1.10. Also, I believe the file center isn't updated yet with a 1.10 section. But you can find them on this site by looking at the news- I believe all of the true mods (not counting drop mods, double xp mods, etc) came out in November. A few I can recall: valhalla, middle earth mod and nezermontias. I may have forgot a few and may have misspelled nez.

Based on what you're looking for I would suggest Nez. It has hidden classes with brand new skills, new skills for all of the characters, more crafting stuff, a different skill system, more monsters and lots of stuff to collect (every monster has a soul and all of the bosses drop "dolls"). That being said, at first the game seems very similar to vanilla diablo2 and the mod doesn't give a complete change.

For something that exactly fulfills your wishes: you'll have to wait. 8-O

Gandalf_grey

Post by Gandalf_grey » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:34 pm

best basic mod - Hell on Earth
besh server play mod - Eastern Sun
best single play mod - Santuari in Chaos
--------
most expected mods:
- Cabal wars
- Doomsday
- The horde of chaos
- Median

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:06 am

Another one that came out for 1.10 is The Punisher mod.
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Return to “Mod Reviews”