Evolution Tournament Series - Chapter One

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Re: Evolution Tournament Series - Chapter One

Post by Clersius » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:13 am

Welcome Przemo and Ssergit! This will be much more fun with contemporaries. :) I hope you both do very well.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Al, and even for the barbed jabs. *practices his riposting skills* :mrgreen: It will be a ton of fun, that's for sure!

-------

First runewords were Booster in a belt and boots, of course. +500 points is a nice addition to... zero! Harken runewords in a tall charm and hex charm were next. I love me some Faster Run/Walk, that's for certain. For other armor pieces, he has a studded leather with 102 defense and two sockets that still have not been filled. A large shield with three sockets which are still empty. An Infernal Cranium set cap was set on his bald pate, but then I remembered that, duh, it ain't allowed. :roll: He's wearing a two-socket helm, and there don't seem to be many options for two-socket helms for a melee-based character who isn't using mana yet.

For weapons, he started with a run-of-the-mill spiked club, then at around level 4 or 5, a spiked club with 2 x chipped topaz and chipped sapphire. This lasted until level 17, when I made Vision in a two-socket sceptre.

Splitting stat points between dex and str, heavy on the dex to keep blocking around 65%. None in vit so far. Put three points into find potion, which is really useful at low levels. Not only does it give free healing, but all those potions that he doesn't use means that the monster dropped an extra 50 gold!

He's been using Bash since level 10; it is level 7 now. Adds good damage, but it is slow. It must depend on faster cast rate, because my normal attack has been getting faster with the Harken runewords, but Bash has not changed in attack speed at all. Will do more testing, with the new Vision sceptre, to see which is better – slow Bash or faster normal attack. After a little testing, it is almost a complete wash. The faster attack speed makes it seem like things are moving along faster, but the lower damage means things die at the same rate. For meaner monsters, like Ogre Demons and Bishibosh, the guaranteed knockback of Bash means that they get fewer hits on Bloodmist, but for normal monsters he's sticking with normal attack for now.

At level 15, Howl became available, and makes Cold Plains a lot easier with the crowd control aspect. Howl until everything flees except a couple that Blood can manage at once, then chase down the groups of two or three that fled in different directions.

Added hp3 to any charm to the Harken tall charm. I wanted to wait for the “right charm,” but with a melee character, the players X setting is going to be low (tried p3 and p2 around level 12, but it was just too slow), which means that the drops are not going to be flowing in like I am used to, which means that I could be waiting for a long time for the “perfect” charm to which to add cube scrolls. He needs more life now! 120 hp was a nice boost. Bloodmist currently has 289 life at level 17.

No merc yet. Of the characters that I've had so far, the merc has been nothing but a big fat pain in the arrears, so I'm not sure if I will put any effort whatsoever into maintaining even the free one once the time comes.

@Ssergit: I took the liberty of adding you to the table.

Code: Select all

Player             Character/Class             RW    CHoM      POST     AC       EM      TOTAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John11             PewPew/Ama                  500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Al-T               Dora/Ama                    500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
gogodanny          Black_Death/Assa            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc           500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
AngusT             Aphelandra/Ama              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Metro              RiseandShine/Nec            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Bucky              Buckassin/Assa              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Montex             Xeon/Barb                   500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
czg                Eve/Ama                     500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
wolfwing           wlft/Druid                  500   1500      3000     5000     0.990    9900
Mithendil          Kage/Nec                    500   1500         0     5000     1.000    7000
Xeigho             Cassilyn-lok/Assa           500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Billybgame         Michelle/Sorc               500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Przemo             Lukrecja/Ama                500      0         0        0     1.000     500
JrEye              Jayarih/Pal                 500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Nanobots           Godel/Assa                  500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Clersius           Bloodmist/Barb              500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Hans               Ni-TheKnight/Pal              0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Rodsur             Imazon/Ama                    0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Misfulness         Dolphin/Barb                  0      0         0        0     1.000       0
the_bogan          Evolutioned/Nec               0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Ssergit            Aldur/Druid                   0      0         0        0     1.000       0

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 am

lol I need to get my butt into gear and play more
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Yup, you do :!: :P
--------------------
Ssergit" wrote:I'm going to take your advice and start a Druid Summoner for this, though I'm going to start in Chapter One because I need to get a feel for the restrictions before I jump in, heh.
Welcome to the tournament Ssergit and I also wish you lots of luck and hope you have a lot of fun :)
As I understand it (blame pregnancy brain here, I ask a lot of redundant questions sometimes): white items or runewords only, in addition to gemmed, up to the saving Cain (then a CHoM!) thing?
Spot on. White/White socketed items are fine including runewords that use a Gem/Jewel but in this case you can only use the Gems as the lowest quality jewel is Magic (blue). After rescuing Cain you can make as many CHoMs as you like but only the first one scores. Similarly, once you get the Quest Icon for Andariel, you may make as many Minor Posters as you like (not Album or Major) and again only the first you make scores.

Al's Druid Summoner Advice: Make use of Ravens early on. They can't be killed and only run out after they have used up all their hits so you don't have to recast them all that often once you get 10 or more. Once you get a decent amount of them, say 20-25, life gets a whole lot easier.

[EDIT] Oh, and get a "Mama's Friend" as soon as you can and beware of "Pizza Heads" and "Sticky Monsters" :D
----------------
Clersius" wrote:...He's wearing a two-socket helm, and there don't seem to be many options for two-socket helms for a melee-based character who isn't using mana yet.
Rubies and Topazes spring to mind ;)
At level 15, Howl became available, and makes Cold Plains a lot easier with the crowd control aspect.
One of the few characters who has a chance at completing the "Escape from Chaos" side-quest is a Barb who makes effective use of his Warcries.
No merc yet. Of the characters that I've had so far, the merc has been nothing but a big fat pain in the arrears, so I'm not sure if I will put any effort whatsoever into maintaining even the free one once the time comes.
I suggest you do get a "Mama's friend" for this tournament and look after her as best you can for as long as you can. Early on it will be a pain but playing a barb you have no meat shields (unless you rescue Cain and make a Summoner CHoM or get another plain charm with summons charges) so any additional help is a good thing.

Al's Barb Advice: The type of Barb I would make for this tournament to minimise the chances of death, especially from Iron Maiden, is a "Throw" Barb.

Incidentaly, thank you for right-justifying the zeros in the table. It had been bugging me for ages also but I couldn't be arsed didn't have the time to do it.

Good luck everyone and Happy Zy-Elling :)
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Made a Trinket tall charm, Brass torso, and Mist gloves for damage and blind/knockback combo for even more crowd control. At level 20, we fashioned a Serf sceptre. Tried out dual wielding the Serf and the Vision, but all that does is alternate hits between the two. I was not expecting anything more, as that would obviate the need for the Double Swing skill, so back to the Serf and a shield he went!

By level 22, he also had a Mist quad charm and a Trinket quad charm. A something-to-tall-three scroll produced a tall charm with 5 strength and 20 dexterity – a big boost in the blocking department. Will wait til level 30 and make a Toy in it. Also found a dagger-to-blade-star scroll, which helped immensely with the elixir fund. Have the gems and the money for 1.5 ChoMs, but rescuing Deckard is a long way off yet.

Two standard rubies in the helm was a fantastic idea – thanks Al! Topazes this early I could never bring myself to do, however, as I still need a bunch of socketed quad charms. Made Blend in Bloodmist's shield as well.

Level 22 with 570 hp, Mace Mastery level 4, Bash level 14 doing 314-840 damage. Currently working his way through the Den at players 4; just upped it to 6 to see if it is still stable.
Al-T" wrote:Al's Barb Advice: The type of Barb I would make for this tournament to minimise the chances of death, especially from Iron Maiden, is a "Throw" Barb.
That sounds both interesting and safe, and I will certainly consider it. I'm more in the mood to learn the melee ins-and-outs of this mod at the moment, however, whatever the cost to my tournament score. That may certainly change after the points start melting off of my EM!
One of the few characters who has a chance at completing the "Escape from Chaos" side-quest is a Barb who makes effective use of his Warcries.
Yes, I was thinking that Howl and Leap would be a gargantuan help with the side quest... thanks for the advice, sir. :)

Off to slay more beasties!

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:06 am

Two standard rubies in the helm was a fantastic idea – thanks Al!
You are welcome. Once you get to areas where 2 socket Barbarian Primal Helmets start dropping you could make a "Reflex" (Nef-Ith).
...I'm more in the mood to learn the melee ins-and-outs of this mod at the moment...
That's the beauty of Zy-El, you can do this and then change later having the ability to eventually max all skills in all trees. Bash then Double Swing (Level 40) are generally what I use for my main melee killing skills at lower levels and later move to either Whirlwind or a combination of Frenzy+Double Swing and Frenzy+Double Throw when facing IM (that's what weapon switch was made for). Obviously you need to be failry high level to mix throwing with melee so for a melee approach to begin with you will also need the obligatory point in Berserk to combat Iron Maiden.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 am

Al-T" wrote:That's the beauty of Zy-El, you can do this and then change later having the ability to eventually max all skills in all trees. Bash then Double Swing (Level 40) are generally what I use for my main melee killing skills at lower levels and later move to either Whirlwind or a combination of Frenzy+Double Swing and Frenzy+Double Throw when facing IM (that's what weapon switch was made for).
Mix & Match... I love it! Looks like a sound plan. :)

---------

Level 25, made an Order runeword in a quad charm. Going to wait 'til 35 to upgrade Bloodmist's weapon to a Squire. Continuing to pump points into Mace Mastery for now. Granted, +5% damage and +8% AR per skill level is not as good as Bash's +4 raw damage, +10% damage, and +5% AR per skill level, but come level 40 Bash is history. Blood will be using Double Swing with Squires/Footmen thereafter, and Mace Mastery will still be useful.

By 28, he was doing BM and Den at p32, Cold Plains, Burial Grounds, and Stony Field at p8 with no trouble. Level 32 brought Catastrophe gloves and a Zephyr quad charm, then into the Underground Passage he went! And immediately realized that he was not ready for that, at least not at players 8. Disfigured and Rock Golems en masse are unpleasant, to say the least. Time instead to see about getting a merc and leveling her up in Blood Moor. :P

Leveled the merc from 9 to 26 doing p8 Cold Plains runs, putting Bloodmist at level 40. Gave Elly an old pair of Mist gloves and a Patiently hunter's bow with a standard topaz for extra lightning damage. She is a good little helper as long as things don't get too rough.

Decided to postpone weapon upgrades until level 45. Damage is ok for now (no need to go through the Underground Passage yet), so I can save a few pennies by waiting.

Made Blood's first Gigantor runeword at level 40 – Increase max life 24% and +48 all resists. Up to -16 all resists now; slowly improving. 955 life at level 40. He needs to farm more cube scrolls, but killing monsters one at a time is so incredibly slow. Ah well, the life of a lowbie melee character!

At 41, made Amity in a quad charm. Still trying to find the best way to farm... and after trying out the Amity, I think I've found it! The amount of freeze on Amity is really, really, REALLY nice. Blood is using three items with knockback, all of which have great mods apart from the knockback. The bad news is that knockback destroys the effectiveness of Double Swing. Frozen targets, however, are not knocked back, so problem solved! Double Swing in a group spreads the love around, rather than focusing on one target. This is nice with Amity because it then freezes anything that takes a hit from Double Swing. I'm loving the barbie power right now, for sure.

Elly's bow has CTC Amplify, which is immediately overwritten with Blind from her and Blood's Mist runewords, so it is basically useless. Need to find a bow for her with pierce/knockback that has decent damage instead of amplify. Could ditch the Mist runewords, but the Blind effect is the better of the two effects so long as crowd control is needed, which it certainly is at this point.

Thinking ahead to the side quest, I think my approach will be high, high life. Probably a Shield or Defender ChoM and four life sticks. One of the sticks will be the charm Blood has been using as the depository for all hp and mana scrolls – it should be well over 500 life by level 75. The other three sticks will be four-socket talls with perfect rubies in them. I've already started doing shrine runs in Blood Moor to upgrade standard rubies first to flawless and then to perfect. Bloodmist's Blood Moor map has four shrines that don't take long to run. That is a lot of Gem Shrines to find, but hopefully it will pan out. Do a shrine run while popping chests at p127, then duck into the Den at p64 and clear it out for cube scrolls... yum!

On the cube scroll front, I was upgrading commons to uncommons, but then I realized that what I really need are commons right now. Specifically, key to 5- and 6-socket hex charms, hp to charm, and the lower level rune upgrades to get closer to the Sol and Dol runes that Blood needs to make his Footman sceptres at level 45 and Man at Arms sceptres at level 60.

Level 43, 1054 life, Double Swing damage 300-1250.

Anyway, that's what's going on with Bloodmist right now. Good luck to all of you playing this tournament, especially to my contemporaries! :)

-----------

[EDIT]

By level 45 I had done dozens and dozens of runs around Blood Moor, popping chests and examining all of the shrines for Gem Shrines. Found a total of seven during that time, and now have 4 Perfect Rubies. With all of the life and damage charms that Bloodmist is toting around, there is no room for Gold Find charms, and his income is suffering because of it. This is by far the poorest character I've yet played. Even Suwayyah was richer than Blood! :-0

Found/rerolled plenty of low-level rune upgrade scrolls, a couple of Bar1 skills scrolls, but no more hp to charm have shown up yet.

Once I got fed up with seeking Gem Shrines, I changed around some of Blood's charms, removing a couple that had poison damage, and remaking two two-socket runewords in a couple of new quads. Then Blood headed back into the Underground Passage, again at p8, and did fine – freeze target and more life leech were the keys. Also, Shout lowers the chance to hit of all monsters by about 13% at skill levels 1 to 3, so that helped. The downside is that it doesn't last too long. Found two- and three-socket primal helms, one for now and one for level 60. Horrid defense, but the runewords will add quite a bit of defense. I'm seriously debating putting off upgrading weapons until level 60. I know I keep putting it off, but I think that I'm only going to get one upgrade while Blood is still in Act I, and I want to make it the best possible. Level 45 sceptres (Footman runeword) would be very nice, but level 60 sceptres (Man at Arms runeword) are even nicer. One of the things that allows me to have a choice at all is that I rerolled two scrolls of chipped skull to quad-2, and those have 3% life/mana leech each, which helps offset a load more damage than before.

Level 2 of the Underground Passage was a different story. I don't know why I am always surprised when my characters get raped going in there for the first time... I never learn, and am never prepared! :roll: I did cast Shout before engaging the Black Rogues, but as they do combination physical/fire (Blood had -6 fire resistance), they hurt him pretty bad. We retreated, and the merc lived, so we went and found a skill shrine to boost Shout a little, and went back in. All it would have taken is to have cast Shout and then started spamming Howl, but noooooooo, Blood waded right into the thick of them and was taken down even while quaffing some greater heals. The recovery went smoothly, as I took my head out of my posterior long enough to actually start using Howl. One and two at a time are no problem at all. Ah well. Maybe on the next character........

The next problem didn't occur until the Black Treant party descended on Blood and Elly in a frenzied flurry of flailing fluffernutters. (Yeah, I don't know what those are, either, but it's the only noun I could come up with to complete that awesome string of alliteration! :P ) Again, the normal ones are ok in ones and twos. Treehead, being a named beastie, cannot be frozen, just cold-slowed, and even then he can put the hurt on at players 8. Had to make sure not to corner him or he starts getting more hits on Blood. Pushing him through the trees across the Dark Wood was kind of humorous!

It becomes more and more apparent to me the more characters I play that I have a serious decision-making disorder when it comes to resource expenditure. I will put off making a decision on what runeword to put into a new item for hours and hours just because I don't want to regret my decision later. Pretty soon, all the use I could have gleaned from it is no longer available because the situation has changed. Usually, by that time, the item itself is also no longer useful because something better has come along. I've really got to look into getting over that. :cry:

Level 48, 1137 hp, Double Swing damage 170-1200.

Yes, damage dropped even with higher Mace Mastery. Why? [rant]Poison damage should not be displayed in the damage box on the character screen. In fact, no damage over time numbers should ever be combined with instantaneous damage numbers – it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The previous damage I listed was a lot higher than the actual damage precisely because of that.[/rant]

On the agenda: Still need to decide what bow to give Elly. Tristram portal is opened and awaiting our entry. More shrine running for perfect rubies. Still want some “hp to charm” and “key to hex-5” common scrolls, so still rerolling those.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

Level 2 of the Underground Passage was a different story. I don't know why I am always surprised when my characters get raped going in there for the first time... I never learn, and am never prepared!
Forgetting to remember not to disremember rears it's ugly head again.
Elly's bow has CTC Amplify, which is immediately overwritten with Blind from her and Blood's Mist runewords, so it is basically useless. Need to find a bow for her with pierce/knockback that has decent damage instead of amplify. Could ditch the Mist runewords, but the Blind effect is the better of the two effects so long as crowd control is needed, which it certainly is at this point.
:idea: When "Elly" hits level 30 make both her and "Bloodmist" a pair of "Catastrophe" (Ort-Nef) gloves. That way you can use (I am assuming it is "Patience" or "Patiently") the bow with CtC Amp Dmg and you will still have crowd control skills in the form of 5% CtC Level 5 meteor from "Catastrophe".
It becomes more and more apparent to me the more characters I play that I have a serious decision-making disorder when it comes to resource expenditure.
This is fine for solo play just for fun but not a good thing to have in a tournament. Having things sitting in your stash doing nothing but sitting there, unless it is a deliberate choice for a future upgrade or for when the rules allow the use of an item, is a bit like a shop having stock sitting in a storeroom instead of being sold from the shelves.

I hope your "condition" is not affecting your enjoyment of playing :P

Keep up the good work Clersius and hopefully Ssergit and Przemo will post soon to give you some buddies to venture through the quests and Acts with :) I am putting my playing of this tournament on hold until you get to Act 4. I still have the side-quest to do for Act 4 but won't attempt it until you have started the Act. Hellwolf_36 and myself need someone else to give us some competition and motivation to continue.

JrEye....I won't be holding my breath for an update from you :P

Good luck everyone and happy Zy-Elling :)

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 am

Al-T" wrote:Forgetting to remember not to disremember rears it's ugly head again.
:roll: Tell me about it! Unfortunately, it's like a hydra. it rears ugly head after ugly head after ugly head...
When "Elly" hits level 30 make both her and "Bloodmist" a pair of "Catastrophe" (Ort-Nef) gloves. That way you can use (I am assuming it is "Patience" or "Patiently") the bow with CtC Amp Dmg and you will still have crowd control skills in the form of 5% CtC Level 5 meteor from "Catastrophe".
Done and done! That is great advice, and I took it retroactively. :P The crowd control that I needed from the Mist was the blind, so that they would be blinded then pushed back, effectively removing them from the fight for at least 10 seconds. Meteor damage cannot actually kill anything hardier than a Fallen at players 8, nor does it seem to put anything into hit recovery. The massive physical/lightning damage on the gloves (for that level, especially), coupled with the extra damage from meteor while Bloodmist beats on something else - that is the beauty of Catastrophe for Blood's setup!
I hope your "condition" is not affecting your enjoyment of playing :P
Not even the tiniest little bit! I am painfully aware of the problem and its effects, but doing something about it is the hard part. :x
I am putting my playing of this tournament on hold until you get to Act 4. I still have the side-quest to do for Act 4 but won't attempt it until you have started the Act. Hellwolf_36 and myself need someone else to give us some competition and motivation to continue.
I will most likely do just the minimum of work on Act III to gain the points and finish the side quest, then enter Act IV to be "part of it," then go back and forth to do Mephisto runs to prepare for the future. Act II could take me a while, however, as I will need to farm quite a bit in preparation for that side quest. Meanwhile, the results of my last run in Treasure Hunters is gathering dust as I am having too much fun in this to go write that one up! :P I'll have to make some time to that, though. As soon as Xires gets the new rules sorted (specifically, adding in free use of commons in Nightmare :mrgreen: ), I'll have a go at Nightmare in Pure Grind, as well.

-------

Did another dozen or so shrine runs, and finally found another Gem Shrine. That makes five perfect rubies. That same run turned up the third Sailor Moon poster piece that I needed, so those are ready to be transformed. That changes everything! I still need perfect rubies, but the other major problem, runes, is solved now. I can get a few more levels, then forge ahead and finish Act I at players 1. Then at least I will have access to better runes, along with magic items. Killing Radament isn't out of the question, to have access to rares.

With the poster parts collected, I decided to go ahead and upgrade Bloodmist's equipment. Used three “Ith to Amn” cube scrolls to make the three Amns he would need for Band of Brothers, Pattern, and Pride runewords. Used cube scrolls “Ort to Dol,” “Ral to Shael,” and “Tal to Sol” to get the three Sol runes for 2 x Footman and Instinct runewords.

He already had the primal helmet (useless thing with no worthwhile skills on it, and terribly low defense) and the two sceptres, so those were done in a flash. Shopped for two-socket boots and found heavy boots right away. I should have gambled for better boots and then used flawless gems to put three sockets in them for Patterns, but I had already made the Pattern runeword by the time the bright idea to gamble occurred to me. I could have added in a flawless diamond for 20 more resists. :cry: I don't think it is really worth 135k to make another Amn rune, especially considering the fact that these boots probably won't be used for more than 20 levels or so.

I figured that Pride would be used for a while, so I went ahead and gambled the most expensive armor he could afford – blew 90% of Blood's savings on a 915k full plate mail. Downgraded it to a decent defense of exactly 400. Very happy with that. Added three sockets to it and created “Pride” runeword in it, giving increase max life 30%, which is superb!. Using cube scrolls, I added 15% poison resistance, 21 defense, damage reduced by 13, and magic damage reduced by 22 to it.

While gambling for a decent belt, he got lucky with a battle belt! Downgraded it to white with 94 defense, used a “two socket to any item” scroll on it, and made Band of Brothers in it – the upcoming fights with Black Rogues demand that higher fire resistance. Applied two “hp to belt” scrolls, each of which gave +100 life! 8-O Also, two “hp3 to belt” giving another 35 life.

Have a whole passel of damage scrolls for weapons, but I'm having yet another decision-making-disorder attack on whether to use them now or wait to use them on the level 60 sceptres.

Level 49, 1800 life, 1800/750 defense with/without Shout, 600-1600 Double Swing damage, maxed fire resistance, and 24 poison resistance (other two are both only 9). A mere 63k left in the bank account after all the upgrades.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:42 am

...Downgraded it to a decent defense of exactly 400. Very happy with that. Added three sockets to it and created “Pride” runeword in it, giving increase max life 30%, which is superb!. Using cube scrolls, I added 15% poison resistance, 21 defense, damage reduced by 13, and magic damage reduced by 22 to it.

While gambling for a decent belt, he got lucky with a battle belt! Downgraded it to white with 94 defense...
Oops. That is an infringement of the Recipes rule:
Rules" wrote:Recipes. Any recipes that use items that are not in the equipment list must not be used to modify gear you are using.
Downgrading Magic-->White means you used an item (magic) that is not in the equipment list.

Ruling: As it is your first infringement and the rule is slightly ambiguous, you may continue using the items you have created in this manner prior to reading this post. Please do not use the downgrade recipes after this until you reach Act 2. I will also edit the rule to say "Any recipes that use items that are not in the equipment list must not be used to modify gear you find, gamble or are using."...done :!:

Apologies for the ambiguity and please do continue to use the items you already made using the downgrade recipes as they give you no great advantage in any case. In fact, given you are playing a Barb you are more likely to need them than most other characters just to survive.
--------------------

Horrible stuff dealt with (I hate having to do things like that)....a runeword you should seriously consider, assuming you get a 5 socket Hex charm and the runes to make it, is "Phoenix" (Thul-Ort-Ral-Amn-Tal). It's a good alternative to a minor poster until you get your first poster. Most of my Barbs generally have 2 and sometimes 3 "Phoenix" charms until I can make them posters and I usually make these before any "life giving" charms like "Gigantor" or "Moby Dick".
As soon as Xires gets the new rules sorted (specifically, adding in free use of commons in Nightmare :mrgreen: ), I'll have a go at Nightmare in Pure Grind, as well.
That's all I am waiting for now. A ruling on the common for Nightmare and Uncommon for Hell in "The Grind". Well I still have 3 of my 15 Matrix & KG runs to do but given the speed I can do them at now I'll have them finished today at some point.

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 am

On page 2, Al-T" wrote:
Mithendil" wrote:....Couple questions, can we upgrade items like rings to rare and crafted as long as we don't use them, or should we just store the base items in our stash and play like we don't know how to do that yet. Can we gamble for items and downgrade them, I was messing around yesterday and didn't find any necro heads to put runewords in, not sure if I was just unlucky or if they don't drop early.
:arrow: Hmmm....Hans and I could be strict and say "no reverse engineering allowed as you haven't the knowledge to make computers or computer programs yet" but unlike that tenuous analogy given, it gives no advantage so yes it is okay to do so but you must remain within the rules for this chapter i.e. if it downgrades to a magic, rare, set, crafted or unique you still can not equip it but can store it for later. Similarly, upgrades can be done as long as they are kept in storage for when you can use the items. Let's call it "random chance by experimentation" you hit upon the upgrade/downgrade recipes but by doing so gives you no insight into how the damn things actually work ;)
I thought I had seen that in this thread somewhere. I was certain that "if it downgrades to a magic, rare, set, crafted or unique you still can not equip it" meant that we could gamble and downgrade to white. My apologies for misreading it. :( I appreciate the allowance to continue using the items, they are a big help, indeed. :)
...a runeword you should seriously consider, assuming you get a 5 socket Hex charm and the runes to make it, is "Phoenix"
Aye! The leech alone would be worth it at this point. No "key to hex-5" scrolls dropped until level 58, and then two of them dropped. Deciding what to drop from inventory was too daunting a task for how tired I am, so it will have to wait. Thank you again for the sage advice, old one wise one! :twisted:

-------

Rescued Deckard and killed the Countess. Somewhere along the way to the Countess, Elly died one too many times, and that was enough. Bloodmist has no resources to equip her as well as himself, and certainly doesn't have the money to keep bringing her back from the dead. If she actually played the part of an archer, hanging out away from the things that can all-too-easily kill her, she might be useful. But noooooo... R.I.P. you annoying, death-seeking moron! :twisted:

Only at level 54 did I get around to making Bloodmist's first ChoMs. He had 12 elixirs by this time, so two Healers, an Icer to replace the Amity runeword he had in a quad charm, and a Destroyer for some nice damage and damage-dealing characteristics. Inventory space is really tight now. In addition to the Amity charm, he also had to ditch his Mist and Trinket quad charms in order to accomodate the four ChoMs. Losing the Mist was good, as he no longer needed Hit Blinds Target. Without it, he actually benefits from Amplify Damage from the Destroyer. Mist was great before freezing entered the picture, but it has outlived its usefulness. The downside is that the charm in which the Mist was placed also had 3% life leech, so that brought him down to 7%.

Ghost(Eth) and Magogs were a joke, monoliths were a joke, Black Rogues were a joke. Skipped the Smith and the Horadric Malus in favor of prolonging Deckard's news about Andariel. I wanted to put Bloodmist through his melee paces, see what it takes to break him open like a pinata. So far, he had been cruising along at players 8. With all the damage reduction on his equipment, nothing was even touching him. I could hear his grunts as if he was getting hit, from both physical and magical damage, but his health didn't usually move, as most of the incoming damage was being mitigated. Single Bone Golems could scratch him, but even that was minor. Overall, the worst damage he was taking was from the net -3 life replenish.

The first test was to up the players to 16. That did it, all right. Broke him half in two! Black Rogues were doing a lot more damage than was being mitigated, and in packs they could hurt him badly. He is not doing enough physical damage through which to leech as compared to the increased damage from the players 12 setting, so... that was a good thing to find out. He definitely needs more life leech. The next weapons he will use have an increase of 2% life leech, and I doubt that will be enough, even with the increased damage on the weapons themselves. There is not a single minor ChoM that offers life leech, which seems odd to me. I may have to wade through all of the runewords from level 40 through level 70 or 80 and see if there are any worthwhile ones with adequate life leech on them. Not that he has room for more stuff in his inventory, mind you! Resource management... a thrill a minute. :roll:

Meshing well with Al's advice above, two "key to hex-5" scrolls dropped near the end of these shenanigans, but converting them to Phoenix runewords, finding a place to put them, and deciding whether to use them and posters will have to wait until the next session.

The other thing that breaks him is wading into packs of Bone Golems, even at p8. They don't do a whole lot of damage, but with no leech against fleshless undead, it can add up quickly when four or five of them are beating on him.

During the tests and the exploration of the Jail, he died twice from his handler forgetting to put players back to 8 from 127 after popping chests. :blush: But again, Deckard has not broached the subject of killing Andariel, so those deaths don't count.

I also crammed three quad charms with gold find on them into his inventory – 30%, 30%, 28%. It's not huge, but it does help. He has 40% and 37% GF grand charms in the bank to use after graduation, as well, and Wealth runeword... well that is quite a ways off yet.

Blood also acquired the pieces for three more posters: Kenny, Garfield, and Bugs Bunny. In order to prolong Deckard's announcement as long as possible, I will probably clear all the way to just before Andariel's room before going back, killing the Smith, retrieving the Malus, and talking to Deckard. Then Blood can equip a poster or four, go in and kill her, and be done with the Act until level 75.

Currently level 59, 2043 life, damage and defense about the same as last update. Just acquired Inner Cloister waypoint.

Forecast: The laborious clear of the Catacombs, Deckard's proclamation that Andariel must die, Andariel's death, the journey to the desert sea, Fara's non sequitur about her religious proclivities, and Radament's demise.

Player             Character/Class             RW    CHoM      POST      AC       EM     TOTAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John11             PewPew/Ama                  500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Al-T               Dora/Ama                    500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
gogodanny          Black_Death/Assa            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc           500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
AngusT             Aphelandra/Ama              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Metro              RiseandShine/Nec            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Bucky              Buckassin/Assa              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Montex             Xeon/Barb                   500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
czg                Eve/Ama                     500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
wolfwing           wlft/Druid                  500   1500      3000     5000     0.990    9900
Mithendil          Kage/Nec                    500   1500         0     5000     1.000    7000
Xeigho             Cassilyn-lok/Assa           500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Billybgame         Michelle/Sorc               500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Clersius           Bloodmist/Barb              500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Przemo             Lukrecja/Ama                500      0         0        0     1.000     500
JrEye              Jayarih/Pal                 500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Nanobots           Godel/Assa                  500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Hans               Ni-TheKnight/Pal              0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Rodsur             Imazon/Ama                    0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Misfulness         Dolphin/Barb                  0      0         0        0     1.000       0
the_bogan          Evolutioned/Nec               0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Ssergit            Aldur/Druid                   0      0         0        0     1.000       0

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 pm

I thought I had seen that in this thread somewhere. I was certain that "if it downgrades to a magic, rare, set, crafted or unique you still can not equip it" meant that we could gamble and downgrade to white. My apologies for misreading it.
Oh bother :!: :oops:

You have not misread anything. That previous statement I made does indeed allow downgrading to "White" items and the ruling above contradicts that. The "old, senile, suffering from EOA one" needs to have a "word with himself" :roll: .

I'll add a separate rule as an exception to cover "downgrading" to allow players to make items that are allowed in the "current" chapter, whichever that may be....done :!:

Apologies once again for any unneccessary stress/gnashing of teeth/weeping/wailing and all other forms of discomfort caused by this "old git" :oops:

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Al-T" wrote: JrEye....I won't be holding my breath for an update from you :P
*sniff* You cut me deep Al....you cut me deep
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 am

JrEye" wrote:*sniff* You cut me deep Al....you cut me deep
<----This is why the US forces are the most feared and respected in the World....."If they don't shoot you, they will drown you with their tears" :mrgreen:

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 am

I thought that was the french? or is it just that they will surrender faster :P
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:18 am

Yeah, it's the French or it could be my fellow Scots but somehow I don't think so....

Scots vs. English

In the good old days the English and Scottish armies used to fight by gathering their armies on top of the hills and at day break they would run down the hillside into the deep gorge below to fight.

One morning at dawn there was a fog (as thick as pea soup) and the two generals decided to refrain from fighting that day.

Whilst the two armies were resting, a voice with a Scottish accent came from within the dense fog. "Any one Scotsman can beat any 10 Englishmen".

With this, the English general sent down 10 of his soldiers. There was a hell of a fight and NO ONE returned.

An hour later, the same voice was heard. "Any one Scotsman can beat any 50 Englishmen".

With this the English general sent down 50 of his soldiers. The same thing, a terrible fight ensured and again NO ONE returned.

An hour later the same voice. "Any one Scotsman can beat any 100 Englishmen".

Down went 100 of the best. NO ONE returned.

An hour later. "Any one Scotsman can beat any 1,000 Englishmen".

By this time, the English general had had enough and was about to send down 1,000 soldiers, when he saw a lone Englishman crawling up the hill.

He was battered to a pulp. As he reached his general he said, "Don't send any more troops down, its a trap, THERE'S TWO OF THEM."

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

:rotf: Hilarious! But Al, why did you let that one Englishman escape :?: :?:

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:00 pm

So he could tell the tale and put the fear of God into the other sassenachs :twisted:

Actually...I quite like the English...but I couldn't eat a whole one (not at a single sitting anyway).

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Interesting facts: Disfigured cannot be frozen, which is a shame as they are one of the few things that actually hit harder (MUCH harder) close up than at range. Barbarians get no specific mastery for dagger-class weapons, nor are they included in any other mastery. Why do I care? Well...

Bloodmist found a Gull unique dagger, the one with 120% magic find on it. He equipped it while running low-level areas for scrolls and other items, and it has produced three other uniques so far. It is highly perishable, however – it gets broken in less than five minutes! I had him apply a scroll for repair durability, and now it works sort of like a machine gun: prolonged use heats it up and can break it, but in smaller bursts it performs well. :P It's honestly not a whole lot of use right now, but if he can work out a way to use it in the next side quest, that would certainly benefit him.

A whole lot of nothing going on over the past day and a half as far as updates are concerned. Bloodmist decided he needed to learn how to use Howl to the utmost of its ability in order to be able to use it only when necessary in the side quest. We set players to 32 and he runs through all of the outdoor areas – Blood Moor, Cold Plains, Stony Field, Dark Wood, Black Marsh, and Tamoe Highland – peeking at the shrines and opening chests while keeping the baddies at bay with tactical treatments of Howl. When he happens across Bishibosh, Rakanishu, Treehead, and various random named monsters, he will stop to slaughter them for drops. It makes for exceptionally slow leveling, but the cube scrolls come in at a steady enough pace. As well, he picks up every single gem he finds and builds and builds and builds higher tier gems from them. After his 10th perfect ruby, he started making perfect topazes instead – one so far.

At level 64, he was finally authorized to use those perfect gems, and immediately placed four perfect rubies in a 4-socket tall charm, then three perfect rubies and a flawless skull in another 4-socket tall charm. The rubies give him 875 more raw life, which is more than welcome! The skull will offset the drain from whatever non-healer ChoM he may decide to employ during the side quest, as well as allow for healing between levels.

Among the myriad common cube scrolls that he has acquired/rerolled, he was graced with two more “hpX to any charm” versions (they seem to be extremely rare – almost as rare as “bar1 to any helm” :roll: ), and his charm is now up to 619 life. More would be wonderful, but he grows weary of the slow pace, so he is going to forge on (finally!) and finish Act I, clear down to and corpsify Radament, level to 75 doing whatever suits his fancy, become the second character to successfully complete the Act I side quest (thinks quite a bit of himself, doesn't he?), then start prepping for the Act II side quest.

Level 65, 4143 life, defense 800/1900, Double Swing damage 640-1740.

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:46 pm

[EDIT]

It's honestly not a whole lot of use right now, but if he can work out a way to use it in the next side quest, that would certainly benefit him.
:idea: Put it on switch and use it with "Find Item" ;) Scrap all that. This is a rule infringement unless you are doing the Chapter 1 side-quest and found the "Gull" dagger while doing it.

Please place the dagger in your stash and don't use it until you are allowed to according to the rules.
Level 65, 4143 life, defense 800/1900, Double Swing damage 640-1740
Pretty decent stats at that level given the equipment restrictions.

Keep up the good work Clersius :)

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Al-T" wrote:This is a rule infringement unless you are doing the Chapter 1 side-quest and found the "Gull" dagger while doing it.

Please place the dagger in your stash and don't use it until you are allowed to according to the rules.
...wow. My skull must be completely empty inside. While I cannot think of a way in which it helped me advance, and it has long since been removed, that was still a huge violation of the rules. I feel horrible about that, I apologize profusely to my fellow players and our esteemed tournament host, and will accept whatever penalty is required. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I did it! Just completed the mini quest, at players 1, level 70. Had good run/walk, and of course teleport. Sorceress's sure get surrounded quick! With -5 life renew, I barely survived...though I might actually try to find some items at first, but it dawned on me that would not work. So, I ran like hell, and teleported when necessary, like especially once I moved on a bit in the Inner Cloister!

I'm just terribly happy that I can move on, and stop this endless farming :)

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:08 pm

:D Billy. That is a brilliant achievement given a lot of us "veterans" failed the side-quest. I am truly happy you managed it, if a little jealous, but it might just give Hellwolf_36 the push he needs to carry on as he now knows there is at least 1 serious threat to him in the form of "Billybgame". Great work Billy :D

All we need now is for Clersius to do the same and pile on the pressure :)
Clersius" wrote:I feel horrible about that, I apologize profusely to my fellow players and our esteemed tournament host, and will accept whatever penalty is required.
Don't feel bad please. It is a minor infringement and I think I can explain why it happened (EOA aside :P)...you are playing in 3 tournaments, Pure Grind, THM and Evo and the rules in the other two would allow you to use the Gull. You simply got the rules mixed up. Knowing full well this is a danger, when I switch between tournaments I always read the rules for the one I am switching to for the point I am at in that one before loading the game so as not to make a mistake even if I wrote the rules.

Penalty.....read and comment on my latest post in Pure Grind ;) .

Next infringement will have a much harsher penalty and I am talking "writing a thesis" proportions :P

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks, Al. Well, I sure learned enough through so many runs, to feel like a veteran of act 1!

I've been meaning to ask, and I hope I didn't ask before, but, man, am I the only one who just hates how minions open doors? We got this turned off in Eastern Sun. This is the most annoying thing in the whole game for me. Places like the Jail and Catacombs can get awfully dangerous, with this happening.

Is there no way to turn this off myself?
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Is there no way to turn this off myself?
If it is a "softcoded fix" you would need access to the .txt files and Kato has never released any of them. All the ones in the .mpq are zero byte filled dummy files. You could "theoretically" use the "vanilla" .txt files and then recompile the .mpq but there are a lot of dangers there...(a) it may cause other "side-effects" (b) you would have to know exactly what to change and in which .txt files (c) you couldn't just copy what was done (assuming it is softcoded) for Eastern Sun as it is 1.10 based and Zy-El is 1.09 based, meaning there are differences in the equivalent .txt files.

If it is a "hardcoded fix", again you couldn't just copy what was done for ES due to "offsets" and many other things being different values and in different places. You would have to have an intimate knowledge of low-level D2 coding to even begin to do something like this.

So I guess the short answer is, sorry no :(

We would really need Kato himself or a magician like Myhrginoc (not active here any more) or Nefarius (working on his own Mod) or one of the other senior modders to do this.

Oh and yes, it frustrates the hell out of me at times causing many an avoidable death :x

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Billybgame" wrote:I did it! Just completed the mini quest, at players 1, level 70.
Huzzah!!!! Congratulations, sir! That is a serious accomplishment, and you did it as low as level 70. You must truly have been itching to move on...
I'm just terribly happy that I can move on, and stop this endless farming :)
...but you know that the farming will never stop, right?! Muahahahahahahaha! :mrgreen:

I'm starting to suspect that there exists a conspiracy in which sorceresses are enabled to victoriously conquer the Act I side quest at the expense of all other characters. Perhaps there exists a dark horse in the running who can shatter this building myth once and for all? Whether this so-called conspiracy exists or not, I commend you on a job well done, Billy. :)
Al-T" wrote:Penalty.....read and comment on my latest post in Pure Grind ;) .
*looks at Al* *looks at Al's latest post in Pure Grind* *looks at Al* Is there no other way, sir? Is there NO OTHER WAY!? 8-O

:lol: It would be my pleasure! *heads off to make some barbed uplifting comments*

-------

[EDIT]

This update forced me to finally create and populate a Photobucket account. Way too many screenshots to include...

Horadric Malus turned in, Deckard lecture received, posters made, examined, and sorted. Decided to use just Sid for now (500 life, 500-1000 cold damage). Inventory examined, rearranged, and edited. Down to Andariel we go! I expect this to be easy and breezy – perhaps laughably so.

Sure enough. Players 1 after all that Blood's been through is too easy. However, even on players 1 he was not stupid enough, after the myriad warnings he's read, to kill Creeping Feature at close quarters. Having no bow, he just skipped killing him at all. Each of CF's lackeys took 500 off of Blood's life when they died, so with Creep being Extra Strong, Cold Enchanted, and Fire Enchanted... thank you but I'll pass. :roll: Andariel dropped a perfect amethyst, a perfect diamond, a Hel rune, and an elixir. Back to town to talk to Warriv, a six-month caravan trip later, and...

[EDIT2 - Moved the part that used to be here to the Chapter Two thread]

...went back to doing runs under the Cold Plains in the Cave, or whatever that's called, at p50 until level 75. Bloodmist then went to town, stripped down to his skivvies, chose five of his most beloved and charming possessions (one, two, three, four, five) to take with him, and teleported to the Jail with 2848 life.

Made it through the first gauntlet with little more than a scratch.

A touch more banged up after the second gauntlet – Bone Golems and Zombies tried to eat him.

Several chests popped, several items acquired. Tall charm with 3 def and 5 life, damaged heavy gloves, damaged barbed club, damaged axe, and two red yums to heal some dings – will use the two potions after the third gauntlet.

A bruise or two more from Goat Men and Ogre Demons blocking the path through the third gauntlet, but nothing too serious.

Now for the real challenge: the fourth gauntlet. This will require a lot of Howling, and I remind myself again and again that it is only to clear a path or if I am being mobbed... only to clear a path or if I am being mobbed. Of course, the truth of the matter, as every single person who has done this before me knows, is that there is no clear path, and every single step forward past the third corner puts Bloodmist in mortal danger, so other than holding down the Howl key, almost any use of it will be justified. *deep, deep breath... hold it... release* Here we go!

Holy crap! That was 50 times worse than I ever imagined. Champion archers and bone mages in the first room, but there almost always are. It was not the third corner when he started to be in peril, it was the end of the first room! A complete, moving, living wall of jerks with bad intentions. Horrors, Knights, Dark Ones, Fallen, and Rock Golems EVERYWHERE. I had planned on taking a few screenshots, but there was no possible way, with all the moving back and forth, feints, Howls, surging through a gap, running around a pack, running back to group two or three packs together, Howling another path, moving to the side and forging through again. Blood needed that much life, and especially that much FRW. I think the worst part was having nowhere to click. There was something covering every possible square millimeter of floor space, and clicking anywhere to move simply made Blood try to Stun something. Incredibly annoying.

I almost forgot to take a pic just before porting out, and got whacked while doing so. The rat bastige Amped Blood, and I fear that one more hit would have done him in while Amped. Anyway, Bloodmist made it through the sidequest in one piece! Barbie Powa!!! I am bloody well shaking, that was so intense. The Pure Grind Naked Run was nothing compared to that. Yes, they are different animals, but that seemed like a pretty intense experience... until this one! I'm very happy that a non-sorceress made it through, and hey, at least it makes up for the death. :-|

Changed Hellwolf's and Billy's scores to reflect that they left Stage One with the Side Quest EM Bonus.

Player             Character/Class             RW    CHoM      POST      AC       EM     TOTAL
Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc           500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050
Billybgame         Michelle/Sorc               500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050
Clersius           Bloodmist/Barb              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Well, off to bed again. Have fun with whatever you all are doing, with whomever you are doing it!
Last edited by Clersius on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”