Evolution Tournament Series - Chapter One

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Re: Evolution Tournament Series - Chapter One

Post by Billybgame » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Guess I sort of assumed you had to do all of Evolution series one before going to act 2, but maybe I just assumed wrong...............
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Rerunning areas and returning to previous Acts, once you have completed the previous Act in it's entirety (not including any side-quests) is allowed and the only restricition for doing the side-quest was character level <=75.

I have still to make a decision on whether I allow returning to previous difficulties/modes.
Clersius" wrote:I get that the Rhino Demons stun and cold-slow, but that does not explain how he died. Neither of those two packs of monsters on their own had any chance at all to kill him.
Indeed they would not be able to kill him so fast but there were probably invisible Boogey Men in the mix and they can definitely kill you if there are enough of them and especially if you are already cold-slowed or stunned.
The Pure Grind Naked Run was nothing compared to that. Yes, they are different animals, but that seemed like a pretty intense experience... until this one! I'm very happy that a non-sorceress made it through, and hey, at least it makes up for the death.
Sounds like you actually enjoyed it... :cool: Another character making it through this challenge admonishes exonerates the rules and nullifies any arguments I got in the beginning about it being too hard. I did say players would have to "think out of the box" and you, Billy and Hellwolf_36 have done so and conquered the quest.

So...fantastic job Clersius and I am genuinely happy you made it :D
Last edited by Al-T on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Veteran? More like "Ancient Relic!"..been playing the mod for 12 years!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
I get knocked down but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down...!
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Al-T" wrote:Indeed they would not be able to kill him so fast but there were probably invisible Boogey Men in the mix and they can definitely kill you if there are enough of them and especially if you are already cold-slowed or stunned.
Ahhh I had not thought of that. Now I will work on developing a racial hatred towards them and everything for which they stand! Mmmmmm bitterness and vitriolic contempt... better than caffeine.
Sounds like you actually enjoyed it... :cool:
I did, I really did! It was a gas, a blast, and a regular riot. :mrgreen: Thank you for your kind words, and to both you and Hans for creating this lovely, fantastical romp through adventureland :!:

Ssergit
Champion of the Light
Location: Running around outside of Lut Gholein, sqashing scorpions

Post by Ssergit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:05 pm

It's exciting to read everyone's updates! As for me, I've been battling a different sort of war--morning sickness. I hope that this week it might let up enough to let me tolerate sitting at the computer! My laptop is a Mac, and IIRC there are too many things that don't 'work' for Macs in Zy-El for me to consider it worth trying to switch it over.

My guy is about level 30ish and just rescued Blood Raven. I feel like I'm cheating, those ravens are hilarious! I look forward to having some wolves, though, because since the ravens aren't hittable, the baddies make a beeline for me :P

Luckily as this is my second baby I can actually feel movement already at 12 weeks, so at least I get the benefit of that when I'm at my most miserable :)
Dough, the stuff that buys my beer
Ray, the guy who buys my beer
Me, the guy who drinks my beer
Far = a long way to the john
So, I'll have another beer
La--I'll have another beer
Tea? No thanks, I'm drinking beer...
-Homer Simpson

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Nice to see you Ssergit and sorry to hear you are suffering with morning sickness.

Yes, once you get some Wolves you will be well protected and if you don't already have one, once you get a few wolves also get a "Mamma's Friend" to help with "Sticky Monsters". The Wolves and Ravens should mean both your Druid and "Mamma's Friend" hardly ever get hit.

Could you ask your daughter if she likes the name "Silly Blobs" for "Sunders" or does she have a better one? (**Al has reverted to early childhood** :P ).
Al-Tisaur...Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007 & "Zy-Sensitive" Veteran Pension Holder!
Trying to picture Al as a Power,... it's not working it must be the Tiger Stripes that get me every time - Hans
Official Zy-El Website | ZyEl Wiki | Russian Zy-El Website by mahatmaQL | Eastern Sun

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 am

Well met Seergit...so few females play among us....good to see one:) Hope you feel better. Maybe killing more monsters will help:)
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" ----George Santayana

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 am

Since I have been giving Clersius and Ssergit some tips Billy it is only fair I try to help you also. As a Sorceress don't go anywhere near Chapter 4/Act 4 unless you have a few points in Hydras and Masteries. Also, continue to pump points into Charged Bolt as much as you can. You should make as much use of rerunning Mephisto in Act 3 anyway to collect a bunch of Zy runes for making "Word" and "Oath" runewords later on. Take a look at my Sorc in "Pure Grind" from Page 9 onwards for a few hints and tips for useful runewords etc. A "must have" is a "Sibyl" orb (Dol-Gul). I consider it to be better than a "Zy-El's Element" (which you can't use in this tournament even in Chapter 5/Act 5) given it can get more skills and a huge amount of resistances.

Anything else you want to know please just ask.

Happy Zy-Elling everyone :) - Al-Tisaur

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 am

Ok before you have a heart attack Al, yes hell froze over, Im posting a score update for me in this tourney :P

Rescued Cain and have maid a healer CHoM, Working on CHoM 2 and 3 as soon as I get the gems for it and elixirs.

Code: Select all

Player             Character/Class             RW    CHoM      POST      AC       EM     TOTAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc           500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050
Billybgame         Michelle/Sorc               500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050
John11             PewPew/Ama                  500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Al-T               Dora/Ama                    500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
gogodanny          Black_Death/Assa            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
AngusT             Aphelandra/Ama              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Metro              RiseandShine/Nec            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Bucky              Buckassin/Assa              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Montex             Xeon/Barb                   500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
czg                Eve/Ama                     500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Clersius           Bloodmist/Barb              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
wolfwing           wlft/Druid                  500   1500      3000     5000     0.990    9900
Mithendil          Kage/Nec                    500   1500         0     5000     1.000    7000
Xeigho             Cassilyn-lok/Assa           500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
JrEye              Jayarih/Pal                 500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Przemo             Lukrecja/Ama                500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Nanobots           Godel/Assa                  500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Hans               Ni-TheKnight/Pal              0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Rodsur             Imazon/Ama                    0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Misfulness         Dolphin/Barb                  0      0         0        0     1.000       0
the_bogan          Evolutioned/Nec               0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Ssergit            Aldur/Druid                   0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 am

JrEye" wrote:...yes hell froze over, Im posting a score update for me in this tourney :P
:reallyscary: 8-O It's alive!!!! :helpsign:

You go, JrEye! You can do it :!:

ps - Any serious problems with the paladin so far?

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:52 am

JrEye" wrote:Ok before you have a heart attack Al, yes hell froze over, Im posting a score update for me in this tourney
My lips are :ignore: Glad you have actually had some time to play :)

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Untill i can get Zeal/Conc Im relying on Holy Fire to Kill, Single mob - no problem, groups....a little. But found 2 spots where xp gains are decent and can level my merc to give her Lvl 30 RW gloves.

Other than that no issues but had to hook and book with Tree. Im lvl 35 so I dont know if that is an issue why Treefist (that his name my memory escapes me, IM OLD DONT JUDGE ME :P) and his cohorts are an issue.

EDIT: Zeal/Conc is the first combo I am shooting for, eventually want Zeal/Fanaticism
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Im lvl 35 so I dont know if that is an issue why Treefist (that his name my memory escapes me, IM OLD DONT JUDGE ME :P) and his cohorts are an issue.
Yup...it is an issue...the fact that you are old I mean...not Treehead Woodfist being way above your clvl :P

Craperoony....that statement means QL was right...I am "Al-Tisaur"...remnant of a bygone age ;)

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Could it be possible that Paly can use Raven charges, if any exist on an item (maybe im old and cant remember but dont think Ravens get any aura bonuses at all). Maybe im remembering wrong and I understand about other summos but if the summon cant be granted a bonus could it be ok?
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |

Billybgame
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by Billybgame » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:06 am

Well, Andariel lies in her entails, and the Catacombs level 4 is complete, and all I have to say is Zounds!!!!!! The size of that level is the most interesting change for me, so far, in Zyl-El. Had to return to town like 4 times, just to empty my cube.

Decided after the sub-quest to just play all at players 8, instead of dinking around. No deaths to report, and no close calls either....though all that fire in those hallways hurt me some. Andariel went down quite fast....not knowing exactly where her area was, it was a sudden surprise, yet we mowed her down in seconds.

Guess we're on to Chapter 2! Looking forward to finally donning some jewelry. Guess I have some Chapter 2 forum reading to do......................

Edit: Why isn't my avatar not working anymore? We've been together for so many years, I feel lost without him:( Boohoo....................

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:41 am

Congratulations on completing Chapter 1 Billy :)
...the Catacombs level 4 is complete, and all I have to say is Zounds!!!!!! The size of that level is the most interesting change for me, so far, in Zyl-El...
Just wait until you see the size of the Tombs in Act 2 Canyon of the Magi, The Durance of Hate in Act 3, The River of Flame in Act 4 and The Arreat Summit in Act 5....
Clersius in the PG Tournament" wrote:The True Tomb makes the False Tombs look like the postage stamps used by pygmy dwarfs!
. :lol:

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:11 pm

The Tombs of Act 2 trump everything in size.
Al-T" wrote: Billy. That is a brilliant achievement given a lot of us "veterans" failed the side-quest. I am truly happy you managed it, if a little jealous, but it might just give Hellwolf_36 the push he needs to carry on as he now knows there is at least 1 serious threat to him in the form of "Billybgame". Great work Billy

All we need now is for Clersius to do the same and pile on the pressure
Clersius accomplished that already :(. Thanks to his ability to search in corpses for secret treasures...

Thanks for the faith, Al-T :twisted:

Al-T
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Al-T » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Clersius accomplished that already
He had not done so at the time of my posting :roll:

As for "faith" I have every confidence in my ability to kick all your behinds should I chose to do so :twisted:

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:27 am

As of Chapter 3, how is "kicking our behinds" going for you, sir? :lol:

Player             Character/Class        CFT    CRF      MAJ    MEG    AC      SQ     EM     TOTAL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clersius           Bloodmist/Barb       25214    500     1500   3000  5000   22000  1.0078    57660
Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc    24818    500     1500   3000  5000   20050  1.0216    56053
John11             PewPew/Ama           23570    500     1500   3000  5000   20000  1.0166    54459
Montex             Xeon/Barb            24448    500     1500   3000  5000   15000  1.0160    50239
Al-T               Dora/Ama             22440    500     1500   3000  5000   10050  1.0165    43191

Xeigho

Post by Xeigho » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Cassylin lok just hit 58 and is now braving the catacombs, still running traps and will do for a while yet..
No deaths yet, tho some champion misshapen came quite close when coupled with 'Ghost(eth)'
No tasty gear yet either and still looking for the final piece to my first poster :/
only 887 life so far and with something like -8 drain due to master choms, getting to andy will be interesting :D

Is it an issue its been more than 90 days since my character was born? its only so long cos i didnt bother playing while i didnt have internet for 3 months..

Edit: just hit cata 2 wp :D all good so far
Edit2:After an extended stay in cata 3 due to some accidental p127 combat (during which i hit 60 :D);
Down she goes! :twisted:
'Seriously, barb would benefit us much more, and Paladins are much weaker. Plus a bald guy with a insanely huge sword scares me more than some fancy prick with a mace' ~ Stingray

Clersius
Champion of the Light

Post by Clersius » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 am

Nice to see you back in the fray, Xeigho! Excellent work defeating Andariel. I'm impressed that you pushed through the "accidental p127 combat," as I tend to just run past the monsters when I do that (which seems to be more often than I care to admit), or restart when I can't do that. :roll:

Traps for the first long while sounds like an outstanding strategy to me. It's certainly a lot easier than trying to melee with starting gear! Good luck on your poster drops and your ChoM materials. Those are definitely the keys to an easier life. :P

Xeigho

Post by Xeigho » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Ty clersius :D the p127 combat was only the 8 groups closest to the entrance after having looted cata 2 exit.. and with a potential damage output of 1.3mill every 15-20 seconds it wasnt tooo difficult just took a long time :D

Updated scoreboard;

Player             Character/Class             RW    CHoM      POST      AC       EM     TOTAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc           500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050
Billybgame         Michelle/Sorc               500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050
John11             PewPew/Ama                  500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Al-T               Dora/Ama                    500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
gogodanny          Black_Death/Assa            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
AngusT             Aphelandra/Ama              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Metro              RiseandShine/Nec            500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Bucky              Buckassin/Assa              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Montex             Xeon/Barb                   500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
czg                Eve/Ama                     500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
Clersius           Bloodmist/Barb              500   1500      3000     5000     1.000   10000
wolfwing           wlft/Druid                  500   1500      3000     5000     0.990    9900
Mithendil          Kage/Nec                    500   1500         0     5000     1.000    7000
Xeigho             Cassilyn-lok/Assa           500   1500         0     5000     0.995    6965
JrEye              Jayarih/Pal                 500   1500         0        0     1.000    2000
Przemo             Lukrecja/Ama                500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Nanobots           Godel/Assa                  500      0         0        0     1.000     500
Hans               Ni-TheKnight/Pal              0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Rodsur             Imazon/Ama                    0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Misfulness         Dolphin/Barb                  0      0         0        0     1.000       0
the_bogan          Evolutioned/Nec               0      0         0        0     1.000       0
Ssergit            Aldur/Druid                   0      0         0        0     1.000       0
and no luck on posters yet :roll: also i wish for oskill lightning mastery :P

cant decide on whether to jump into act 2 and get my magic stuffs or whether to stay and level to 70ish and do the side quest. if i go on to act two im bound to get caught up trying to do the quest line quickly and end up going over the limit for the side quest :lol:

Edit: Just got twatted by a fallen ogre thing. OHK sucks.
'Seriously, barb would benefit us much more, and Paladins are much weaker. Plus a bald guy with a insanely huge sword scares me more than some fancy prick with a mace' ~ Stingray

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 am

For the Ogre Demons as a sin, just use a Shadow and summon Charged Bolt Sentries or cast Blade Storm to kill them fast. The blade skills come with painful poison which makes trap assassins very easy to level.

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:11 pm

You might want to edit you formula for calculating the score Al.
Without brackets, only the last term is multiplied with the EM :D.

By the way is this still open?
I'd rather go to Africa and get eaten by an Elephant... Snoopy

Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007!

ZyEl Wiki

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, you can join. Just do so from Chapter 1 to where we currently are so you don't get point cuts.

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:57 am

I didn't know Al-T resumed the tourney this month and this is one of the only tournaments I actually had some interest in cause of its simplicity.

But since my Sorc is on another hard drive that I currently don't have right now, I have no choice but to restart from ground zero. But since I had an easy time doing it with a Sorceress and I dont really want to make a Barbarian (since already 2 people are doing it and it makes Chapter 2's subquest ridiculously simple), I'll do a different magic class. Enter Dokuwomoru the Necromancer!

Hellwolf_36        Blivarticcil/Sorc           500   1500      3000     5000     1.005   10050 RET
Xeigho             Cassilyn-lok/Assa           500   1500         0     5000     0.995    6965
Hellwolf_36        Dokuwomoru/Nec              500      0         0        0     1.000     500
=========
I decided to scrap the idea of doing Skeletons and try for spells first. I will still have a rough road getting to 20 (as you get your first combat spell then), but at least Dex per level until 6 when I can make a Steel weapon will assist. Teeth is powerful, but without Mana per Kill, I will be running out very quickly. Bone Armor's 300/level protection is enough to get from 15-20 easily by killing things in Cold Plains with Merc assistance.

=========
It was grueling overall. Basically, once I was able to get to 8, I was able to handle things reasonably. I had a Steel Sword, my Rogue armed with a 2 os Spiked Club that had an Amethyst/Ruby together which I used from 1(without gems) to 8. Then, it was constant runs over and over clearing out Blood Moor. But I was able to get a few Experience Shrines to speed up the process. Amplify Damage was helpful as well, considering there were Unique monster rolls each time from the locals (luckily there were no Holy Shock or Fire ones). And my map unfortunately had a Pecker in a house, which I had to ignore until I got the Rogue and myself to 9. I did some Cold Plains and Den of Evil as I could, but I ran when I encountered Ogre Demons, Tombrats or Pecker packs, but I usually ended up ending a few things before I had to run. It also helped to get Rancid Gas Potions from a Stone Skin Zombie too, which made ending groups effectively. If it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't have been able to attempt Cold Plains at ALL pre-15.

With 1 Bone Armor point, I was able to do Cold Plains at 15 with minimal troubles. It truly is an overpowered physical protection spell. Even one point is enough to cover up some of the damage you take in the region. Getting it to 1200 protection before Teeth made it WAY too effective, for the only thing that was able to damage me were Corrupted Rogues by chance or Fallen Shaman. But 1 ice wave strike was enough to end Fallen, Quill Rats, Zombies and weaken other forces for me to chop them down with a sword. Bishibosh though had to be ignored until I got Teeth though. But I was still able to down each Carver Shaman once before I let them get ressed.

I also managed to clear 3/4 of the Den of Evil using Amplify Damage/Steel Short Sword and Rogue abuse before I finally got Teeth. Primarily because no Tombrats rolled in the spawn. Corpsefire was a problem and I was able one hit killed, but he got dropped with some hit and run tactics. With just 1 point in Teeth, I remade the game, slaughtered everything from the start, Cold Plains, Burial Grounds (killed Blood Raven in the process) and Stone Plains, gaining about 8 levels in the process. I now sit at level 25 and I fire level 6 Teeth. I am probably going to set it to Players8 next session and try to get to 35 for Golem for damage mitigation.

Considering I got this far using NO skeletons yet (may end up using mages when I finish my Poison Nova/Bone Spear/Lower Resist setups), I am doing rather well. Sure Skeletons are lethal, but it takes QUITE a few points in Mastery to get them going. But the plus side of that is you can set the game to Players127 and then do Cold Plains/Den of Evil/Stone Field runs for Level 40-50 relatively fast, as long as you got enough skeletons to keep enemies from directly targeting you (especially if its an Ogre Demon). But then again, that makes things WAY too easy. And even a Tier 1 attack spell has been known to be quite destructive, considering I got far in this one starting off with Firebolt as my "Crossbow on Steroids" attack before I got Charged Bolt to waste everything.

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”