New player maybe missing the point?

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

Muilpeer
Netherlands

New player maybe missing the point?

Post by Muilpeer » Fri May 11, 2018 9:15 am

Hey guys, I've been trying to level up a char for hours now but I have managed to get one of my chars only to lvl two and it's not really getting anywhere.

Maybe there is some introduction I've missed out on. I have experience with many different mods that are all hard in their own ways, but this doesn't seem to be fun at all.

Are there some secret recipes that I should know about that make some good equips so you can head out into the Blood Moor without immediately being hoofstomped by even the smallest creatures? Of course, I know this requires it's own playstyle and I don't just run out like a mindless idiot, but walking in carefully, luring something weak so it's all alone and then trying to kill it, only to get 2-hit and die isn't my idea of fun.

Because I haven't found any similar posts I am wondering if I'm maybe missing out on some beginner playstyle tips. Anyone has some advice? I sold most gems to make some money for gear, tried out str-based char, dex-based char and an nrg-based char to see what works best early on but couldn't out anything because they are all equally weak. I don't have much time to play so in the short time that I have, it's really a downer to not get anywhere after an hour of trying to reach lvl 2 and then finding out you need to become lvl 10 in order to even get to the first skill haha.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: New player maybe missing the point?

Post by Necrolis » Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Biggest tip: abuse the players command. generally to start off a char, spawn a few monsters a players 1 that you can kill, then switch to players 127 and kill them for the massive exp and loot increases. From there, its about using the recipes, charms etc that are all in the zy-el game guide. There are a lot of tips for power leveling in some of the older posts, but I haven't played in ages so I'm too rusty to really help. You might find the easiest way is ranged/potions till you get a few levels.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Also, there's tons of low-level rune-words/jewel-words that will help you to grow. Here's a complete list:
http://exilania.com/zyel/

Most of your power early-on comes from runewords/gems.

Muilpeer
Netherlands

Post by Muilpeer » Sat May 12, 2018 12:13 am

The main problem is that I am just not getting to lvl 2 or 3 within a reasonable amount of time. My guy has no money anymore, wasted it on potions. But with this AR I can't hit anything because I miss every attack. I'm just ragequitting all the time. Shouldn't there be some kind of better structure? I understand that after a few levels you can start going faster but I see no point in playing 3 hours just to gain 3 levels :roll:

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sat May 12, 2018 12:23 am

It is very much a personal preference. You can make much better progress by just killing kobolds and quill rats in blood moor. When you run out save and quit and reload. With a little gear you can up the player count until you get some good drops. Some players have perfected the early stages and can make rather quick progress.

If that doesnt sound fun, then the mod probably isnt for you. It should be called "mechanics abuse: the game" thats pretty much what its about.

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:11 am

k0r3l1k is absolutely correct. Game the system! Something that is often useful is to up the game to maximum players, then run around the blood moor opening chests and grabbing everything quickly before monsters come and attack you. You can find some pretty good stuff to get you started that way. Finding a stamina shrine really helps.

Muilpeer
Netherlands

Post by Muilpeer » Sat May 12, 2018 8:34 am

k0r3l1k wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:23 am
It is very much a personal preference. You can make much better progress by just killing kobolds and quill rats in blood moor. When you run out save and quit and reload. With a little gear you can up the player count until you get some good drops. Some players have perfected the early stages and can make rather quick progress.

If that doesnt sound fun, then the mod probably isnt for you. It should be called "mechanics abuse: the game" thats pretty much what its about.
Just wanted to emphasize that I am talking about the beginning. I have experience with many different mods with crafting systems that are geared towards creating godly gear so that is no biggy for me. However, I just feel like I am missing a point for starting out.

I have not been able to kill quill rats. The only thing I can kill is kobolds, but they almost always spawn in a bad place, so it's indeed killing 2 or 3 and then restarting the game because the kobolds always spawn mixed with skeletons. Anyway, why am I explaining myself :lol: I'll give it another try in some time.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sat May 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Ita not just about creating "godly" gear. Its about know how to take advantage of the mechanics. For example summons gain health and damage from the /players command. If you know what you are doing you can create summons with almost max health, then increase the players setting again to cause eneny health to roll over and become very weak.

Rollovers are important to keep track of on our own character as well. Using some items may end up hurting you if it rolls over your damage or health.

Knowing how to optimize is a big part of the game.

The start is pretty slow, but like i said there are plenty of short cuts that you can use once you start to figure things out. Its not uncommon to grind blood moor until level 20+.

If its not for you, i dont judge.

LHaart
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by LHaart » Mon May 14, 2018 2:34 pm

When I was playing, I also asked myself this question, how quickly to raise the hero at the initial levels. As a result, tactics are such, we buy things that harm the attacker. And most importantly - to buy a shield that would block most of the blows. Here is a ten-minute video, where I raise the hero to level 5.

And without any commands)

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm

LHaart, Great video! I'd never thought about maximizing the "attacker takes damage" stat for the first few levels. I just did a quick check through runewords... looks like the lowest-level runeword that gives "attacker takes damage" is level 15. Probably not too useful. And it's Paladin specific (Nef + Ith in paladin shield)

Happy ZyEling!

for611bing

Post by for611bing » Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 am

This is a good how-to from player Grom (original linkhttp://allaboutzyel.forum2x2.ru/t49-topic):

1. Create paladin
2. Scroll Gem to flaw gem
3. Scroll key to gem
4. Buy equip & spiked club
5. players 8 (yep, paladin can handle this :D )
6. pwn cobolds && green rats
7. lvl4 -> scepter && eld-el to shield and boots
8. pwn zombies
9. buy mace -> tir+el
10. pwn skeletons, at last!
11. Charms: tir-tir & eld-tir
12. lvl8 -> buy cold merc
13. Nef-Nef-Nef to wep and armor
14. PROFIT!

Muilpeer
Netherlands

Post by Muilpeer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 pm

for611bing wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 am
This is a good how-to from player Grom (original linkhttp://allaboutzyel.forum2x2.ru/t49-topic):

1. Create paladin
2. Scroll Gem to flaw gem
3. Scroll key to gem
4. Buy equip & spiked club
5. players 8 (yep, paladin can handle this :D )
6. pwn cobolds && green rats
7. lvl4 -> scepter && eld-el to shield and boots
8. pwn zombies
9. buy mace -> tir+el
10. pwn skeletons, at last!
11. Charms: tir-tir & eld-tir
12. lvl8 -> buy cold merc
13. Nef-Nef-Nef to wep and armor
14. PROFIT!
The first thing I don't get is: I made a pally, I can buy a spiked club, but he doesn't have the str to equip it. It needs way more str. Am I using a wrong Zy-El version somehow? It's the unofficial community version.

And a mace with Tir + El isn't even a runeword?

I have trouble finding the docs :)
The wiki is down and the alternative links both have incomplete docs, only contain about 12 runewords total.

Chiron
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Ukraine

Post by Chiron » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:18 pm

http://www.exilania.com/zyel/ - it is link for runewords.

Muilpeer
Netherlands

Post by Muilpeer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

[quote=Chiron post_id=494719 time=1529356694 us

Thanks for the link, great. Actually I made Tir + El in a mace, but it didn't become a runeword? It was 2 sockets, 2 runes, in the right order, mace type. Must be a bug.

It's really hard playing without proper documentation.

sokol815
United States of America

Post by sokol815 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Muilpeer, Are you using ZyEl (Unofficial) 4.5v12? or the last official version (I believe that's 4.4?) The link Chiron posted above is for the unofficial version.

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”