Damage Caps, Rollovers, and other #'s ---edit 9.03.09

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

100%

Total votes: 1

GhOsT(eth)
Champion of the Light

Damage Caps, Rollovers, and other #'s ---edit 9.03.09

Post by GhOsT(eth) » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:32 pm

Acting on Iceman777's wonderful Idea I decided to create this thread.

NOTE: This thread is for known caps and rollovers. Please do NOT post any problems or questions in this thread.

I will try to keep it simple and keep editing this post to keep the list the first thing you read.

Quick explianation of the difference between a Cap and a Rollover.

Cap- will not do anything after that amount is reached.(ex. cap=500 you have=501 will do=0)

EDIT: After a certain point is reached you will start back at 0 and continue toward the next cap.
i.e.
DMG cap= 350
You have=753
DMG starts over at=700
Your actuall damage = 53

EDIT: Having negitive resists causes the damage to go up. So, when dueling if you are at the cap and duel someone with negitve resists, you will not do any damage to them.

Rollover- Will display back at 0 after this amount, but still includes the amount before the rollover. (ex. rollover=210 you have=380 will show=170) Yes Life and Mana just roll over because of the graphic.

Known Damage Caps:

I am thinking that elemental damage is capped at the 83k mark.
BUT it is only with the damage on hit.

The elemental damage per second(firewall, blaze, poision) as far as I can tell does cap at 2,097,150 per second

Elemental Damage:

--Lighting: 83886
Damage rolls back to 0 around 167773

--Fire:83886

--Cold:83886

--Poison: No Cap Known(damage is done per second)

Physical Damage (NO elemental damage included):

Guessing same as other known caps 83886

Known Rollovers:

Fixed in Version 4.4
Life: 32767
Mana: 32767
Stamina: 32767

Long time no edit. I think I should fix that :)
Last edited by GhOsT(eth) on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:58 am, edited 23 times in total.
~~Closed Server Preeminence~~
Code of the Ostrich - I can't see you, therefore you can't see me.
Code of the GhOsT - You can't see me, therefore I can't see you.

Horacer77
Champion of the Light

Re: Damage Caps, Rollovers, and other #'s

Post by Horacer77 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:06 pm

Is it just me who thinks that the level caps and damage caps are going to vary from char to char? Now for my reason for saying this is this. Every char I have had to fix to get them to do damage has been different char classes and different levels. I just think it going to be hard to get the damage caps do to what a char is wearing for +skills, whats he has added to the stat a certain chars needs to raise his/her damage.
If I just blowing smoke im sorry or maybe im just missing something. I just think the level/dam caps for a level 500 char is going to be different then it is for a char of a level of 4500. If some one can explain it so we all can agree it would be greatly appreciated.

Iceman777
Champion of the Light

Post by Iceman777 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:52 pm

I believe the intent for this thread is for us to push and find out those variables and limitations. GhOsT(eth) has offered to update the first post of this thread with what concrete findings we all do come up with. I think this is another thing that makes this mod so great. We are all learning together and sharing any info may help us come to some kind of understanding of where the limits lie. Nobody said it was going to be easy and I'm not sure that anyone could adequately explain it all right now.
"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

*Astalion*
Arch-Angel

Post by *Astalion* » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:08 pm

For mana and life they should have the same limit. Also remember that it is only graphic.
--About me:
--Links: Forum ToS / Prophecy of Shadows Site / Forum
--Interesting statements: The statement to the right is false - [color=#00ffff]The statement to the left is true - [color=#00ff00]This statement is false

GhOsT(eth)
Champion of the Light

Post by GhOsT(eth) » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:53 pm

@Horacer

I made this thread not only to help us figure out what the limits are so we dont go past them, but also to help other mod makers. If we can find some type of consistancy between the max dmg you can do, it will create a boundry to work with when making mods. Right now noone knows if there is a boundry or not so technically we can go as hiigh as we want. What I am trying to figure out is what the actuall # limit is of the game.

Scenario:
ok fighting as a sorc you can't hurt anything with no light resist if your light dmg is above 86k-87k BUT .. you can hurt someone that has light resists(because you do less damage.

to fully prove what the caps are you would have to fight someone that has no def or resists and keep killing them with Increasing amounts of dmg to see when it stops working. That would be the only way.

I know that there has to be a numerical cap to everything and more than likely the cap # has some sort of relation to something. like the life rolls over at 2^15. and the max requirements for something is 256 which is 2^9.

Most people that play this game dont realize it is a big math problem with a bunch of formulas lol

Horacer77
Champion of the Light

Post by Horacer77 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:35 pm

Ghost,
I know what your doing, and i can relate to that. But my point was this my damage cap is not the same as yours. The numbers are going to be definately different for a number of reasons. So Ill foolow this and see where it leads will be interesting.

Asterix
Paladin

Post by Asterix » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:05 am

@horacer: the damage caps will probably be the same for all chars as there probably are functions that are called to determine how much damage is done...

the differences you see are probably due to diffrent damage types mixed which could lead to diffrent calculations.
perhaps each damage-type is calculated seperately which could mean there is a diffrent cap for each type of damage.

perhaps some good coders know more about the damage-calculations of d2, would be nice to know how much diffrent functions there are for this purpose :)

night

Post by night » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:19 am

Mana cap is the same as the Life cap.
Oops, did I do that??

LordDemeter
Champion of the Light

Post by LordDemeter » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:45 am

I believe this may only apply to server play, but it could be an issue on both versions. We have decided on what is wrong with that weapon that I before mentioned about not being able to hit anything. There is too much IAS on it. I appear to be attacking faster than the server can register it. Not sure of the exact numerical speed on it, but it has 226% IAS. I had someone else try to attack me with it, and aside from an odd twitch every few seconds, it looked like they were just standing there.
"If you step on my feet,
You get dropped in your own drink.
I suffocated my shrink just for talkin',
Came back and f*cked up his pollbearers and made 'em drop his coffin."

Zy-El: Trial by Fire mod website - The Temple of Zy-El
The best source of Zy-El item info to date - Raven's Keep

emperor9999

Post by emperor9999 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:20 pm

what about melee/range damage cap?

i played an amazon and i think the cap is somewhere around <=120k. just to be safe make it 99k for sure

Sephiralenden

Re: Damage Caps, Rollovers, and other #'s ---edit 3.01.03

Post by Sephiralenden » Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:23 pm

I was using my Barb with approximately 53-63k damage, but I noticed when I was fighting some demons I wasn't hurting them half the time.

I looked at my amulet and realized how dumb I was to use Pul runes while crafting the jwl... +75% to demons. From this I can say that the damage cap for Barb Whirlwind is approximately:

95,000-110,000 dmg

I will try to get a more exact number though.
United As One Forum Administrator
Sephiralenden@USWest

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:34 pm

Some numbers in D2 are scaled integers. If you multiply a number by 128, you still use integer processing (much faster than floating point) but effectively add two decimal places to your value. So I would look for cap numbers to be one less than a power of two. In the table below, I have some of the possible rollover points for 32-bit data data (4,294,967,296 possible values), other data sizes will have different rollover points. D2 integer math is primarily 32-bit with some 8-bit thrown in, the 16-bit forms are rarely used (mostly for string processing). A signed value will go negative right above the rollover, and an unsigned value will reset to zero.

Code: Select all

scale by    signed     unsigned  resolution
32      67,108,863  134,217,727  0.03125
128     16,777,215   33,554,431  0.0078125
1024     2,097,151    4,194,303  9.765625e-4
4096       524,287    1,048,575  2.44140625e-4
In addition, various data are stored in odd sizes (SaveBits in ItemStatCost), so even though a value might be stored internally in 32-bit form, only some of the bits are used. Masks are ANDed to the register to ensure only the desired bits get through. But even with oddball data sizes, it is still one-under-powers-of-two rollover points because masks are binary.

So you might make a table of the 63 possible rollover points (although anything below five bits is trivial), and your value will be at one of them for each stat or effect.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

GhOsT(eth)
Champion of the Light

Post by GhOsT(eth) » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:25 pm

Not to sound like I'm stupid or anything, but I do think that maybe a better explaination in Laymen's Terms would help. I can somewhat understand what you are saying but if you could relate it to something in the game I think it would be a bit more understandable.

I think I figurede out what you were talking about. I'll do some math and see if I come up with what your are talking about.

WoooHoooo

:idea: By George I think I've got it!!!! :idea:

Check :up: top :mrgreen:
Last edited by GhOsT(eth) on Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:05 am

I wasn't trying to be confusing, sorry about that. I think you do have most of it, but I wonder about the numbers for elemental damage calculation. On the life/mana/stamina values, I think you are one off, that these are signed values so 32767 would be the highest positive value (2^15 - 1). So these three parameters might be signed words, without scaling, or signed dwords with scaling and we don't know the width but it is between sixteen and thirty-two bytes. I seem to recall there are fractional hitpoints used in damage calculations, although the display is integers only.

The fastest way to provide a cap is to AND a number with a mask. If you have byte-wide data, you can have from 0 to 255 unsigned, or -128 to +127 signed (the highest bit becomes the sign bit then). Looking at the dmg-min modifier, it tops out at 63 which is six bits, and that modifier is unsigned normally. If you had that value in register EAX, then you would execute AND EAX,3F and anything above 63 would be discarded. An AND operation compares each operand bit by bit, so the only way to have all the values in your range is to set each mask bit to 1 below your cutoff, in this case 3F = 0011 1111 in binary.

Another way to provide a cap is with a compare and choose lesser value. Again, let EAX be the current value and 63 the cap of choice. You would have

CMP EAX,63
JLE (one step)
MOV EAX,63
(continue on)

This cap method is slower to execute, but it can be any value you want. When I said earlier there were 63 rollover locations, I had forgotten this approach. But it is the only way I can understand those elemental damage caps, because AND masks would not skip bits or you lose a lot of intermediary values in your range.

If you want to find out more about damage calculations, there are some old tutorials by Jarulf that might shed some light. He was writing about version 1.08, so you might have to hunt around for current version code. But one thing stays consistent, the exported ordinals seem to remain the same from version to version even though their call locations and internal code may not. (There is nothing that says they have to, but so far we have been lucky.)
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:07 pm

:?: Question: will any of this change for patch 1.10? Are they going to raise the damage cap or leave it as is?

:idea: One solution I'm thinking of is to cut in half all weapon/spell/misc item damages and all monster/player hps. This would make it a little tougher to get to the max damage cap. Oh heck, I might even consider quartering it , but one-quarter of 1 will still be 1 because you can't have an item doing less than 1 point of damage. ;) It's just a thought - and I wouldn't do it until after 1.10 comes out anyways. Maybe in ZyEl3.
"Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - D.Vader
Zy-El: Trial by Fire Mod Forum: http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=53
Zy-El website: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/index.html Zy-El wiki: http://zyel.wikispaces.com/

uLiKo
Champion of the Light

Post by uLiKo » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:53 pm

Kato";p="73618" wrote::idea: One solution I'm thinking of is to cut in half all weapon/spell/misc item damages and all monster/player hps. This would make it a little tougher to get to the max damage cap. Oh heck, I might even consider quartering it , but one-quarter of 1 will still be 1 because you can't have an item doing less than 1 point of damage. ;) It's just a thought - and I wouldn't do it until after 1.10 comes out anyways. Maybe in ZyEl3.
I like that idea, it's hard to kill high lvl monsters fast now since you cant get enough dmg since then you will go over the cap wich I've done twice now :( And even tho I do 76k dmg with my bowazon it still takes forever to kill hell cows so I have to do nm cows and I dont like the idea of doing nm cows to level 5000

But hopefully they will raise/remove the dmg cap in 1.10 so we can continue to do our massive damages wich this mod offer :)
http://www.againsttcpa.com/
Don't let them take your rights!

DCplusplus

Post by DCplusplus » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:24 am

OK, I know this may seem weird, but just recently i had a six socket uniq bow and i had a crafted jwl that had +609 to dex. lol Well, I place this jwl in (it had other mods so dont laugh) my bow, and i pull off two multi shots, all the cows die, so i run to another group of cows and i start shooting and none are even getting hit, when i shoot normal arrow (not guided) i can hit them...is it possible theres a ar cap? :?:
DC++DC++DC++DC++DC++DC++

LordDemeter
Champion of the Light

Post by LordDemeter » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:03 pm

Even had you hit this cap, Multishot, and normal attack have the exact same ar, as multi gives to ar bonuses,just more arrows, and less dmg. So that would still make no sense at all. O_o
"If you step on my feet,

Jetro

Post by Jetro » Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:27 am

with the life cape I rolled over and my life meter would not fill(sp) it read 875 when the meter (ball) emptied it instantly filled to 32k I didnt die. Did this happen to anyone else?

alphabet

Post by alphabet » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:34 am

look at the very top of this post under "Known Rollovers"
Keep up the great work Kato

kinda here but mostly lost

night

Post by night » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:44 am

Jetro";p="77990" wrote:with the life cape I rolled over and my life meter would not fill(sp) it read 875 when the meter (ball) emptied it instantly filled to 32k I didnt die. Did this happen to anyone else?
Yea, but I find the game likes to crash when it autosaves when you do your life/mana like that. So I tend to keep them sub-par ;)
Oops, did I do that??

mistegirl
Champion of the Light

Post by mistegirl » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:53 am

Anyone know if there is an attack rating rollover? My sassy's at 21k and it seems like she's not hitting as much as she should be.

LordDemeter
Champion of the Light

Post by LordDemeter » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:55 am

Don't know of any rollovers in ar, except when it goes negative. You sure it isn't just the bad lag on the realm tonight? :)
"If you step on my feet,

The Baron

Post by The Baron » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:32 am

My AR is 120,000, so no. ;)

Iceman777
Champion of the Light

Post by Iceman777 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:01 pm

@mistegirl:

You might also want to take a look at your IAS. There have been rumblings of having too much and not being able to hit. Especially being an Assy I don't know what your burst of speed skill is at, but it might be worth taking a look at.
"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”