Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:06 am

AdmiralCrackbar";p="393797" wrote:Which thread should I go to ask questions? I have a ton, and since there doesn't seem to be a readme, it seems like a lot of them are really basic.

My main one right now is how do you use the stat and skill point systems?
You use your Legend Points at the trainer (CelaMaeClya Riowien) to increase your stats and skills.

EDIT:
Which thread should I go to ask questions? I have a ton, and since there doesn't seem to be a readme, it seems like a lot of them are really basic.
Feel free use this thread for questions.
Last edited by kingpin on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:35 am

Excellent! I think the Legendary Points one was the most pressing, but I do have another: Do "monster" items do anything special, or are they just tagged as having fallen from a monster?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:04 am

[quote=AdmiralCrackbar";p="394092"]Excellent! I think the Legendary Points one was the most pressing, but I do have another: Do "monster" items do anything special, or are they just tagged as having fallen from a monster?[/quote]

Monster items are flagged for a reason :)

- There is runewords that on works on monster items
- There is monster specific runes that only works on monster items
- There is crafted items that is crafted of monster items that gives items that is equal power of uniques (or slightely a step below, depend on luck). This type of crafted items is purple.
- Monster items does not always work in regular recipes. If a recipe is required a ring to be crafted. Only a non monster item ring work in the craft.

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm

3 questions:

whats the use of the key charsi gave me when i killed "palgmor"?

how to open the chest in tristram?
I thought I could use the charsi key to open it, but it didnt work

where can I find the shaman items for the sorcs adepts way quest?
normal shamans in the first 5 outdoorlevels, right?
i had just had bad luck then...
Last edited by ChaosMarc on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 pm

whats the use of the key charsi gave me when i killed "palgmor"?
The final part of that quest is not active game preview version I think.
how to open the chest in tristram?
That chest is part of a chain subquest.

where can I find the shaman items for the sorcs adepts way quest?
normal shamans in the first 5 outdoorlevels, right?
Normal Fallen Shamans. It's a %chance it drop.

Nameless
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Nameless » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:27 am

While there is a lot of really good stuff in this mod (like the Sidequests, kudos on implementing something that extensive in D2), there are a large number of INCREDIBLY annoying things that quickly shoot down the fun of playing.

The most important thing is the enforced map regeneration. At least let me switch that off in plugy.ini. If you want to keep me as a player, then this will have to go. I played for ~30 mins from the Cold Plains WP with the only goal of getting the Stony Field WP and after clearing about 90% of the Stony Field without finding the WP I get basically one-shotted by a Lightning Enchanted boss. And now I'll have to do the same once more.

Subquest and Clue Scroll texts: I don't know what is possible in D2, but you really have to do something about them. It's simply no fun to watch the text crawl over the screen for over 30 sec so you can check if you need an El or an Eld rune for the recipe. I may have listened to the quest speeches the first time I played through D2, but no more than once. With the regular quests you have the quest screen that tells you at one glance what you need to do next. Something similar is needed for the Subquests and Clue Scrolls.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:25 am

Subquest and Clue Scroll texts: I don't know what is possible in D2, but you really have to do something about them. It's simply no fun to watch the text crawl over the screen for over 30 sec so you can check if you need an El or an Eld rune for the recipe. I may have listened to the quest speeches the first time I played through D2, but no more than once. With the regular quests you have the quest screen that tells you at one glance what you need to do next. Something similar is needed for the Subquests and Clue Scrolls.
There is a possibility to increase the speech speed. Maybe can look into an option where you decide your own speech speed in an option. For quests there will be a new gui added to it later. That will make this less of a problem. There is a possibility cluegui get similar change aswell.

The most important thing is the enforced map regeneration. At least let me switch that off in plugy.ini. If you want to keep me as a player, then this will have to go. I played for ~30 mins from the Cold Plains WP with the only goal of getting the Stony Field WP and after clearing about 90% of the Stony Field without finding the WP I get basically one-shotted by a Lightning Enchanted boss. And now I'll have to do the same once more.
There is a possibility to a /command in game for this. In same way as you could turn it off before.

The problem with this (then the enforce map i.e keep map) was the way I added some special map element. You could simply abuse the map regeneration to get the "map seed" you wanted and always keep the map with a special monster/object spawned. Nowdays I can easy recode this part and avoid any issue with let sp store the map and spawn the object/special monster on fly instead of depend on D2's random map generation.

To use the random maps for special thing's was something's I did very early (back in 2003 or so) :)

I'm not using this way anymore.
Last edited by kingpin on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeadlyStyle

Post by DeadlyStyle » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 am

So.....i'm an idiot and didn't read the desc fully and put on a cursed item....how do i take it off??

Edit:
Well it turns out i'm not that dumb after all it was a side quest curse and suppose to happen....

Edit:
So i have spent the last hour and half searching the wastes for the shrine to do the Lycantrophy (sp?) side quest and have found nothing...fighting as a werewolf is really bugging me anyone know where to find this shrine??
Last edited by DeadlyStyle on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:39 pm

So i have spent the last hour and half searching the wastes for the shrine to do the Lycantrophy (sp?) side quest and have found nothing...fighting as a werewolf is really bugging me anyone know where to find this shrine??
Will check and verify so it's actual in where it should. Was supposed to check it before (as someone reported before it was a problem find it). If it's missing it will come in the upcomming patch.

Flaming Toadstool

Post by Flaming Toadstool » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:19 am

I would just like to say that this is a fairly good mod. I love all the little sidequests. Sometimes the monsters really frusturate me though. With my X-Bow Paladin, it takes millions of bolts to take down some Unique Monsters, and even some regular monsters won't go down easily. But nevertheless, it is very fun.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:10 am

[quote=Flaming Toadstool";p="411249"]I would just like to say that this is a fairly good mod. I love all the little sidequests. Sometimes the monsters really frusturate me though. With my X-Bow Paladin, it takes millions of bolts to take down some Unique Monsters, and even some regular monsters won't go down easily. But nevertheless, it is very fun.[/quote]

Thanks.

The difficulty is tuned to the harder intended as it's a preview version. In next patch the earlier part will be found easier in general. Some skills will get buffed aswell and suspect x-bows is one of them :)

Next patch will end the preview cycle and have give me alot of valued info from both public and internal testers.

I know unique mobs is sometimes pretty annoying. They get health currently as percent multiplier based on the base mob. This is a problem for both champion type mobs, and unique mobs. The complete stat system for champion/unique mobs is on ToDo to solve in future.

Kuss

Post by Kuss » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm typing this as I play

- I want to eat that chicken!
- How did you manage to color the gold? I guess CE again :(
- I really like how the town feels more alive and the music fits very well
- There are a lot of things I have no idea what they do. Like, (Zombie Item). Is there a documentation or I'm gonna discover them in game?
- Little bug: if I click right on the subquest item while in a trade NPC it changes window and I'm not talking to the NPC anymore; but the windows of the merchants are still visible
- OH MY GOD. I'm in love with the Clue Scrolls
- I don't seem to be a ble to use the Holy Grenade skill. EDIT: Ok nevermind I just read it requires the weapon
- Is there any particular reason for the new system of leveling up? If I got it correctly, this way you have more control over the stats and the skills.
- I kinda like that there's no mega-inventory or mega-stash
- Game feels really hard and requires to put some thinking and not only bashing battle, I like it

Overall I played only for about 30 minutes but it feels pretty cool, you can see there was a lot of work put in here :D

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Kuss" wrote:I'm typing this as I play

- I want to eat that chicken!
- How did you manage to color the gold? I guess CE again :(
- I really like how the town feels more alive and the music fits very well
- There are a lot of things I have no idea what they do. Like, (Zombie Item). Is there a documentation or I'm gonna discover them in game?
- Little bug: if I click right on the subquest item while in a trade NPC it changes window and I'm not talking to the NPC anymore; but the windows of the merchants are still visible
- OH MY GOD. I'm in love with the Clue Scrolls
- I don't seem to be a ble to use the Holy Grenade skill. EDIT: Ok nevermind I just read it requires the weapon
- Is there any particular reason for the new system of leveling up? If I got it correctly, this way you have more control over the stats and the skills.
- I kinda like that there's no mega-inventory or mega-stash
- Game feels really hard and requires to put some thinking and not only bashing battle, I like it

Overall I played only for about 30 minutes but it feels pretty cool, you can see there was a lot of work put in here :D
1) I have recoded the itemname code so I can set color on any items I like.
2) thanks, that was one of goal with make towns feel more alive and nice see you like that.
3) there is no online documentation. But, for monster items there is feature that is connected to it. like craft recipes that only works for specific monster item. I have removed some features to monster items since preview version, so don't actually remember what was in preview version regarding this. But, in my current version you can click on a bodypart and apply it directly to a monster item to improve it's stats.
4) the npc ui bug is known and fixed since preview version. You can "fix" it by press esc and it will get back to normal again.
5) my legend system is from a paper roleplaying game called earthdawn that I got alot inspiration from. It's intended to be a customizable system where you can assign stats/skills in way you like. Now, gain stats is alot harder as it cost more legendary points than a single stat point do in vanilla. It's more you get 1-3 stats depend on your current stat and early on I'm sure most spend their points in skills over stats.
6) I disslike huge inventory myself, there is much harder manage the space with too large inventory. Also, as I support plugy you have infinite stash space anyway.
7) preview version is harder then intended early on, it have been retuned to have a smother initial progression.

GrandMaitre
Paladin

Post by GrandMaitre » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Does your mod work with D2SE?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 pm

GrandMaitre" wrote:Does your mod work with D2SE?
preview version doesn't work with D2SE. Next public release will be D2SE compatible.

GrandMaitre
Paladin

Post by GrandMaitre » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Let me know when it will be done :)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:17 pm

GrandMaitre" wrote:Let me know when it will be done :)
Keep an eye on my forum and you will know for sure. Atleast my goal is do a new public release this year.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:14 pm

I can't wait for it,bet it will be awesome...as it looks Selt Samuel will probably launch his new D2SE next year as there have been no updates on the topic...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Lucifer666" wrote:I can't wait for it,bet it will be awesome...as it looks Selt Samuel will probably launch his new D2SE next year as there have been no updates on the topic...
This mod will be like my 2-3 months reborn into D2 , maybe more if its hard . I really doubt that king and his company will make any kind of crap .
As of Selt - Wait for Windows 14 , and DirectX 25 with Intel I19 - 24 core cpus (non-server) - By that time you will probably get D2SE 2.3 .
Not that I'm in a hurry , haven't played a lot of time now . Its just how life goes in the current world of diablo 2 . Slow . Anyway D2SE is great and doesnt need a new version to be usable .
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Post by Lurix » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 am

DA and D2SE actually can work together with current versions.
I just don`t know if teams behind these projects are okay with that.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Lurix" wrote:DA and D2SE actually can work together with current versions.
I just don`t know if teams behind these projects are okay with that.
I have no issues if anyone got DA to work with D2SE in current version.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:36 am

Any News King???I'm waiting for the next ver of your mod to get back to d2...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Lucifer666" wrote:Any News King???I'm waiting for the next ver of your mod to get back to d2...
I haven't any news yet. Hopefully it wont be to long before you hear some :)

nguyentai44
Vietnam

Post by nguyentai44 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:33 pm

waiting for D2SE version, hey bro, go to your inbox

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:21 am