Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Post by kingpin » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:55 am

Three unique campains: splitt upp in five chapter each.

Minor quests: a new special type of quests. This feature is planned, but still in research.

Some chapter1 minor quests: Search for your friends murder, found a bow for Aysha, found a sphere for Cain.

Area changes: many area's will have a new look. See Chapter One thread for more info.

Items: There will be a lot of new items. Some new will be listed below.

Unique items: +200 new unique items is planned for the first campain. This items is in fact already finished. All existing unique items is tweaked also. There are going to be some special unique items like class specific and completly new set of famous unique items. The diablo1 uniques is also planned to be included. So some of your old favorites will appear again.

Class specific items: several new class specific items are planned. Some have already been finished.

Cluescrolls: Blizzard planned earlier to have cluescrolls that gave you some hints. This clues gives you hints about several things that you don't found anywhere in the game. The clues you get is cuberecipes (not crafting), runewords,weakness of some monsters.

Recipescrolls: some monster will drop recipes that you can use for crafting. This recipes is actually a part of the craftrecipes. So you can't crafting without them.

Craftrecipes: there are going to be a lot of craftrecipes and they are going to be really useful also. The ingredient requirements has also change a lot. You will now found a lot of new ingredient that you will use for crafting. All existing craftrecipes is disabled.

Runewords: there are going to be a lot of new runewords in the game. These are like crafting going to be usefull. All existing runewords is disabled. Runewords will be droped as a hint in cluescrolls. The hints is splitted in several parts.

Set items: there are going to be several new set items. Some has already been finished. All first generation existing items has also been tweaked.

Crystals: there are three type of powerfull magical crystals in the game. Blue crystals, black crystals, white crystals. These are for enchanting your items and also a part of some craftrecipes.

Elementalstones: These legendary stones was made for one purpose to enchant your existing weapons with a element of either fire, water, air, earth and nature.

Specialarrows: there are going to be some specialarrows. Some of them are firearrows, lightningarrows, poisionarrows, coldarrows.

Cursed Items: Some items are not what they seems to be. There are going to be a lot of items that could be cursed. This will affect magical, rare, set and unique items. The effect of the curse will not dissapear by removing the item. This is a planned, but still in research feature.

Herbs: This was in fact an idea that Blizzard was planning to include. Now they will return as usable items. There will be different type of herbs. Healing, temporary boost of skills, stats and other effects that not will be revealed at this time. If a druid use a herb he will gain greater effect than any other classes. This is a planned, but still in research feature.

Wishing Well: This is a new never seen item. You are putting in golds in the Well and you sometimes got a reward, but not always. There are also going to be some dangerous Wells. A monster spawns instead for example. Not all will be revealed at this time. This feature is research. But, not included in the game yet.

Shrines: Several shrines will be added. This is a planned, but still in research feature.

Storybook: Each character will have a storybook of his class from the start. This is a planned, but still in research feature.

Class specific amulets, rings: Each class have a class specific amulet and ring. These amulets and rings have some mods that are always on them beside the random mods. The rings and amulets come as magical, rare, set and unique. Several of these items are already included in the game. But, more will be added.

Healing potions: Healing potions will going into big changes. That are not desided yet if the vendors are going to sell them at all. If they still sell healing potions. The price of healing potions will be increased. Instead you can buy herbs that gives magical effects, like healing. One note also too the NPC's that are healing. They will instead heal for money. This last feature is still in research.

Special Items: There are planned to be a lot of special items. This special items is dropped by a specific monster type. If you look into item section you will see the concept art of Blood Armor that a zombie is using and only zombies can drop this type of item.

Bodyparts: Blizzard was planning to have monsters to drop bodyparts. This idea is included in the mod as ingredient for crafting a special type of items.

Other modicifactions: There are some other modifications to be and all below is already or soon finished.

New monsters: Thanx to Nefarius gorgons is enabled. But, there are also going to be some other new monsters in the game. So prepare for the return of some favorites from Diablo1.

Balancing: All campains will have a balanced gameplay as a goal. Why play a game without a challenge?

Founding runes: there will be easier to found the more rare runes. It's really crazy that zod is nearly impossible to found. Complety new runes are also been planned.

Gambling: gambling chanses is changed. It's now possible to gamble for set/uniques. But it's not easy to get them in this way. But, not as hard as it is in 1.09d. There are also more items to gamble on. Several of the items that was not possible to gamle on earlier is that now. Also the number of item at one time is increased.

Existing buggs: there are several known buggs in the game. That the people on forzen keep's forum already have fixed. Theese fixes is included. The buggfixes that are fixed so far is assassin/barbarian critical hit, chance-to-cast-skill. All known fixes will be included in the final mod.

Hirelings: they are going to be improved to better fit the gamebalance in the mod. They are going to be more usefull than earlier.

Graphics: completly new graphics are going to be included. Some is already finished. The graphics that are not done by the Dark Alliance team is from several other sources, keep, diablo1, other games and also remake from real photos found on the net.

Music, speeches: All chapters will have it's own new music. Persons in towns are also going to have new speeches to fit the new storyline in the game.

Stash, inventory: the standard extended stash, inventory is included in the mod. I have also planes to bring in some other storage features. Like bags. At the moment i'm not sure how to do this. But, it's an idea i have.

Unique, superuniques, champions (and all champion similar monsters), minions: all theese are toughter than ever to give you far more challenge than earlier.

Drops: the drops has been change a lot. There will be no need for doing memphisto runs no longer. That's one of the goal with this mod to do all gamearea playable and fun. Uniques, superuniques, champions have greater drop than earlier.

Quest rewards: the rewards are going to be change a lot. At the moment there are only andariel that has got a change. She drops a perfect random gem instead of a normal one. Each different campains will have it's own rewards. So like in normal game at normal, nightmare, hell (in the mod these are different campains). Andariel will not drop the same quest reward.

Skills: skills are beeing rebalanced to fit the mod and also to make some useless skills usefull. The goal is to have more usefull skills to choose from than in normal diablo.

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Post by ChaoticDeath » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:55 pm

if you need any skill graphics or ideas, i am always here to help. :) :mrgreen: ;)
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:07 pm

At the moment i havn't planned to include any skills. But, maybe i do that after a while. If i change a skill it would be of two reasons, if the skill can't be balanced to be good enough for a player too use it (I will replace it) or the skill broke anything (probably find potions will be replaced of that reason, but maybe i can change how the skill works for use it anyway).

Since i'm using herbs i have planned to maybe let the Druid to have a find herb skill. But, i don't know if this will break the balance.

But, if you have any nice ideas for a skill you are welcome to tell the idea ;)

This area is that i've been thinking less on.

Ishamael

Post by Ishamael » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:43 am

Are you going to use Myrhginoc's message system for the cluescrolls?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:35 am

At the moment i have not used "Myrhginoc's message system" (only tested it in 1.09b). But, when a 1.09d version is avaible i will use it in some way. But i don't know if i replace it with the cluescrolls or use it in other ways.

But, if i manage to still have the cluescrolls, when right click get the scrollwindow (That is a part of Myrhniginoc's message system) i will use that.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:55 am

That's a thing I really want to do. then we could have a clue.txt telling the game how to show clues based on some clue ID stored in an extra data space for units.

Seems we have to jump on Myrgh's system and turn it C++ style :P
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:13 am

Jepp, then we do that ;)

We can talk more about that when you are online.

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:27 pm

kingpin";p="86071" wrote: Specialarrows: there are going to be some specialarrows. Some of them are firearrows, lightningarrows, poisionarrows, coldarrows.
How about giving the lightning arrows a %chance to cast FoH when striking, the cold arrows to freeze enemies, the poison arrows to explode into the poison cloud, and fire arrows continue to burn the enemy or have a % chance to cast meteor and then at a higher level it cast armageddon! :twisted:

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:47 pm

Thats nice ideas. At the moment they only do elemental damage. But they have no visual effect at all for the moment.

This effects you are talking about is in fact quite nice idea for unique versions of the arrows.

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:57 pm

kingpin";p="86071" wrote: Wishing Well: This is a new never seen item. You are putting in golds in the Well and you sometimes got a reward, but not always. There are also going to be some dangerous Wells. A monster spawns instead for example. Not all will be revealed at this time. This feature is research. But, not included in the game yet.
I am very interested in how this goes. How about there are special items that are made for only throwing in there, and you get a good item back for throwing it in. Or, you throw an item with some gold in there, and it upgrades. And last but not least, how about throwing an item in there and the well asked you if it was this specific item (or special item) or not, and you have to answer yes or no?

The way you could get this to work is such as bringing up something like when you use the horadric staff, and then make it so a window pops up such as when you are talking to someone, and the window asks you if the item you threw in was a special item. Then the selection window shows up and has 2 options: Yes and No. You pick, and if you answered faithfully, you either get a good item if you threw the special item in, and if you threw another item in, it gets upgraded. Of course, if you lie, either you get the item bac at the cost of gold, or a strong monster appears to fight you.

Once again, just a thought ;).

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:38 am

Your ideas is very nice.
How about there are special items that are made for only throwing in there
This should be possible to do and this is somethings i probably will use. Good ideas.
you throw an item with some gold in there, and it upgrades.
Maybe, but not without any sacrifice. Maybe a chance to get a curse (for being greedy) ;)
And last but not least, how about throwing an item in there and the well asked you if it was this specific item (or special item) or not, and you have to answer yes or no?
This would be the hardest to get working i think. But othervise its a nice idea.

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:48 am

I should have the "Dark Alliance Idea Creator" under my Hosted Forum Moderator title ;). Anyway, I actually do have some more thoughts...

kingpin";p="86071" wrote: Shrines: Several shrines will be added. This is a planned, but still in research feature.
Different ideas for shrines:

-A curse shrine. Casts a random curse on your character that lasts for a long time.
-Ambush Shrine. Hordes of enemies appear out of nowhere and surround your character. Maybe opens those portals that Nefarius made. The ones that let demons come through.
-Frozen Shrine. Freezes your character in place while a unique monster appears and attacks your character.
-Greedy Shrine. Gold appears everywhere on the screen in large amounts.
-Identification Shrine. Identifies all of your items in your inventory.

You should just make shrines have the name "Shrine" so that it has unknown random effects. This would make getting shrines more of a risk than just support. Kind of like gambling. :twisted: :mrgreen:

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:59 am

I
should have the "Dark Alliance Idea Creator" under my Hosted Forum Moderator title . Anyway, I actually do have some more thoughts...
Hehe, its nice anyway that you come with so many ideas ;)
You should just make shrines have the name "Shrine" so that it has unknown random effects. This would make getting shrines more of a risk than just support. Kind of like gambling.
Random effects on shrines is a really nice idea. I will use that idea.

All the shrine ideas is nice. But, since there are a limite to how many different shrines i will spare some of the ideas for random shrines ;)

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:01 am

ah, didn't know there was a limit. hope the ideas i am providing are useful and are not just impossible... :-| . :roll:

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:52 am

Sorry for double-posting. But if I edit my post I can't quote anyone :-| . Anyway, what to pick on now....
kingpin";p="86071" wrote:
Cursed Items: Some items are not what they seems to be. There are going to be a lot of items that could be cursed. This will affect magical, rare, set and unique items. The effect of the curse will not dissapear by removing the item. This is a planned, but still in research feature.
Healing potions: Healing potions will going into big changes. That are not desided yet if the vendors are going to sell them at all. If they still sell healing potions. The price of healing potions will be increased. Instead you can buy herbs that gives magical effects, like healing. One note also too the NPC's that are healing. They will instead heal for money. This last feature is still in research.
Cursed items
How about making some curses or some of items have invisible curses that they can't see, so they have to figure it out themselves. It will make them think twice before they just go and switch to a super better item.

Healing Potions
Well, for making NPC's ask for money for healing, you could make it so like when you see cain but didn't do his quest that you have to pay him money. Then just change the code of identifying something to healing.

For the potions you can make just normal potions, and they can either heal your life, mana, or stamina :-|. And sometimes the potion may not do anything at all. This will also make players think twice before just running into battle and expecting to use 5 Full rejuvenation potions on bosses they aren't supposed ot beat or be fighting yet. Maybe you could have potions that instead of giving more life or mana, have a higher percentage of working and giving life and mana.

Just more ideas and thoughts. :mrgreen:

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:04 am

You can use quoute command button above in the list to make quotes ;)
Cursed items
How about making some curses or some of items have invisible curses that they can't see, so they have to figure it out themselves. It will make them think twice before they just go and switch to a super better item.

This items seems like a normal item. But when wearing the items for will face a curse of somethings. If the curse is on weapon it will be invisible. There are going to be a way in the mod to detect cursed items.
Healing Potions
Well, for making NPC's ask for money for healing, you could make it so like when you see cain but didn't do his quest that you have to pay him money. Then just change the code of identifying something to healing.
This is the one that i for the moment havn't decide how i will do. Since i want my herbs to be a large part of the game. I don't want healing potions to ruin the game. So i will probably make so healing potion only drops by monsters.

I'm maybe going to give Cain the ability to detect cursed items for money instead of his normal identifying item code.

Hehe, by making potions (cursed) and not giving healing is evil. Thats maybe nice to have blind potions that do nothing.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri May 02, 2003 11:25 am

The vendors is going to be change a lot. So, here is what the vendors will sell, tell me what you think about this ideas.

Gheed - Selling less good weapons and gambling
Akara - Selling herbs and magic related stuff
Kashya - Selling special made arrows/bolts
Deckard Cain - Selling magical things
Charsi - Selling weapons, armor, bolts

For the last two i will give an explanation of how this will work.

Deckard Cain - Sells a random magical item for money. This will be instead of his identify all items in your inventory. So, you will access this from the same way as indentify.

Kashya - Will selling hers items from the same list as her hirelings belongs to. This will be a kind of D1 vendor ;)

One note about Healing Potions.

Akara will sell Healing Potions for a higher price than vanilla d2:Lod. But, she are not willing to buy potions for you for a high price.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Fri May 02, 2003 3:17 pm

It looks very nice. Have you researched the modifications needed to make Cain and Kashya work in the way you described already?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri May 02, 2003 3:56 pm

With Cain i have done the research already, but accidently it was when i was investigated how identification works. So i got this for free and don't need to do a research for it, its not implemented yet but will be soon i hope ;)

For Kashya it will still needs some research.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun May 04, 2003 11:18 pm

I have been reworking the TC from scratch for some days now. Finally i have almost done all the work for first chapter for all normal monsters. Each monster have its own treasureclass, so it has take some time do finish it. +400 lines in TC take some times to write ;)

I have TC for Champions/Uniques/Boss and Chests/Golden Chest left to do.

This will probably take one day to finish and after that i will finally go into updating the website with a lot of new stuff ;)

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Mon May 05, 2003 12:01 am

How about letting Kashya allow you to hire "Hirelings", and then you can also buy specific-weapons for your hirelings from her! :twisted:. That would be very cool 8) :mrgreen: .

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon May 05, 2003 9:03 pm

If i manage to make hirelings only items. This is a cool idea and i would implement that. I look into how this could be done.

I have finished all my work for TC and also finished the latest internalversion of the mod. The next version is meant to be the Beta version of the sneak peak version. I will soon put up a beta listning thread for sneakpeak version.

The next that is on my TODO list is the work on updating the website. So expect a lot of new info, new downloads, new screenshots in the comming days.

Also, i got a idea today of a new kind of unique items. I will call them as Good & Evil items.

This kind of items can be Gems/Jewels and Runes and are always a unique item.

Good & Evil items shares the same itemname. They don't shows any abilites before its used.

As an example:

Good Jewel:
+ Damage
+ IAS

Evil Jewel:
- Damage
- IAS

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu May 08, 2003 2:15 pm

I will use a custom coin system that are Gold, Silver, Copper.

1 Gold is worth 10 silver
1 Silver is worth 10 Copper

Question, would it be weird to have all prices in copper?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu May 08, 2003 2:38 pm

Here is another info. This time its about Amazon Class and its startitems.

Amazon

Str 20
Dex 30
Enr 15
Vit 20

Hit Points: 40
Stamina: 84
Mana: 15

Levelup

Life: +2
Stamina: +1
Mana: +1.5

Attribute Point Effect
1 Vitality Point gives 2.5 Life
1 Vitality Point gives 1 Stamina
1 Energy Point gives 1.5 Mana

Start items:
Book of Story
2 Small Healing Potions
A bag of silver coins (a random amount of silver coins)
Short bow + 250 Arrows
Short spear
Fletcher’s Scroll (With this scroll you can enchant a pack of arrows with a magic abilities)
Town portal Scroll
Low level Identify Scroll (There will be 5 different levels of identify scrolls. A higher identifyscroll will be require to reveal more powerfull magic)
Random generated item (It could be gold, extra healing potion, gift from your father, item or special item)
Reagent to make a special Amazon item.

Each class will have its own set of startitems.
Last edited by kingpin on Thu May 08, 2003 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Mon May 12, 2003 6:59 pm

kingpin";p="97006" wrote:I will use a custom coin system that are Gold, Silver, Copper.

1 Gold is worth 10 silver
1 Silver is worth 10 Copper

Question, would it be weird to have all prices in copper?
No, simple math conversion. I play MUDS, it works well
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

Return to “Dark Alliance”