Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Re: Dark Alliance - Main Discussion Topic

Post by Rhonlore » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:48 am

/me drools... inf... uh... sorry

Cant wait :lol:
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:34 am

Runewords
All existing runewords is removed and instead it will be replaced with a lot of new ones. No runewords will be revealed (so sorry no screenshots) we want to save these for you to figure out how it works instead. There will exist different type of runewords. As described down here.

Different type of runewords:

Normal Runewords: This is the group off runewords you are familar with in unmodded game. This type of runeword only works in normal socket items.

Magic Runewords: This is one of all special runewords that exist. This is runeword that works only for magic items.

Rare Runewords: This is aswell a special runeword and this does only for for rare items.

Unique Runewords: This runewords is very different to other runewords. Since this will unlock some hidden power in a unique item. The unique item will still have the same name as it had previously.

Monster Runewords: This are runewords that only works in normal socket monster items.

Class specific runewords: This are runewords that can only be used by a specific class. This type of runeword is either more powerfull or more special than normal runes. This does aswell only work in normal socket items.

In-game hints about runewords:
Monsters will drop cluescrolls that can reveal a runeword. So, you can collect different cluescrolls to gain knowledge about new runewords.

EDIT:
Here are two new screenshots that shows the thief cellar. One that are a complete overview of the cellar and one from in-game.

Thief Cellar overview

Thief Cellar in-game
Last edited by kingpin on Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mythrander101
Champion of the Light

Post by Mythrander101 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:08 pm

KINGPIN: I think that having a new gold system (like u mentioned) would be really cool. Monsters would drop either copper, silver, and gold.

But, How would you convert them? Would you put them in ur Hcube and transmute?? And another thing (this really annoyed me when i tried it and it didn't work):

When i first started playing D2, i tried to put 9 chipped gems in the Hcube to see if, when transmuted, they would turn into a normal gem. This way I wouldn't have to keep switching gems back and forth b/t the cube and my inventory. Unfortunately, this didn't work.

Is it possible that you could make this work??

ALSO: is it possible to have stackable gems/runes of the same type/quality?? For example: My char has a stack of 23 chipped rubies and i need some to make higher lvl gems. I right click and a window appears saying "How many would you like to withdraw?" or something to that effect. I type the number i want and click "ok" or "withdraw". I now have that number of stacked chipped rubies in my inventory. And maybe have a little number in the corner of the box saying how many r there. OR when you put your pointer over the stacked item (highlighting it) it says like "ammount=x" in the description...

Is this viable??

Mythrander101 :snipersmile:
Internal Tester for Diablo II: Dark Alliance Mod.

People say that I suffer from insanity, but I don't suffer from it, I enjoy every moment of it!

World of Warcraft:
Realm: Feathermoon/Alliance
Name: Alistania, Tank

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:21 pm

We have skipped the different coins because its more work than it gives you in the end. Its better to concentrate to balance out gold instead, we have tried to bring in some economy into Dark Alliance. Where money should have some more importance than normally. You will find yourself out of gold from times to time :)

There will not exist any stackable gems. But, in the future there will instead exist bags where you can put your gems into. But, this is a future thing we will add.

Also, you will not be able to upgrade gems like you are used to. There will exist some other ways than use the cube to do that. Othervise you would need to find the right gem instead :)

Mythrander101
Champion of the Light

Post by Mythrander101 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:49 pm

Ah, i see.

Well, the bags do sound interesting. I can't wait to play this mod!!

People say that I suffer from insanity, but I don't suffer from it, I enjoy every moment of it!

World of Warcraft:

Les Ernas

Post by Les Ernas » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:38 pm

Applause for making money more important!
Now the stat "+xx% more gold" is a little bit usefull ;)

...Economy.. well...
Perhaps it's a bit weird:

In every town you can find a trader, who buys and sells shares (stock-exchanges, funds).
The prizes of these funds depend on your actions in the game.

Example:
You could have a company called "The goblin's ear". This company wants to free the land from the evil little nasty goblins.
The prize of their funds raise, when you kill goblins, the prize falls when a goblin kills you, or a goblin hits you.

There could be one company for each monster.

Another company could be the "Human Battle Organization". This company sponsors pvp.
The prize of your fond raises, when you win a pvp duell, it falls, when you loose.

Ideas for companys:

The Crimson Archmages Of Dushham:
P. raise: Killing with fire magic
P. fall: Killing with ice magic

Rai' Chals' Freezing Army:
P. raise: Killing with ice magic
P. fall: Killing with fire magic

Viper's Poisoned Fang
P. raise: Killing enemys with poison
P. fall: Getting poisoned

Ramuth's Order Of Lightning
P. raise: Killing enemys with lightning
P. fall: Taking lightning damage.

The prize of every fond falls, if you do not do the thing which would raise the prize. If fond "A" is worth 5000 Gold, and you wait 5 minutes, his worth is reduced to 3000 Gold, as an example.

The prizes should be influenced by some random thing as well, so it should depend a bit on luck, like it is in reality.

So much from me concerning economy.
Honestly, I do not want to be the one to program this :roll: , probably impossible, but who knows :?:
two hens, three geese

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:20 am

Looking on the website about the monsters you will find on your legendary journeys I found something extrange.

the Skeleton Elite (that skeleton that throw axes at you) said Demon Elite inestead of Undead, is this intentional? because it looks weird :-|

another thing, should we expect leaping skeletons? I remember you put a tutorial with skeletons doing the leap attack, and it could be funny to see more than barbs flying over our heads ;)

Edit: (so the thread is a bit more compacted)

About arrows, what type of arrows do you have planned to reveal his atributes (poor wording I know)

I though on the Armor piercing (damage ac built in)

the Flare arrows (light radius but near no physical damage, maybe if you want little fire damage)

Burning arrows (burn damage doesn't give exp) but its actually fun and requires skill to get the experience :P

Soul Arrows (mana burn, only for pvp)

also, there will be any Gore crafts (player ears used on recipes)? or you prefer that HC play get safer and less paranoic? :lol:
Last edited by Vendanna on Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:28 am

Some screenies has typo in it and this is one of those. I'm usually to lazy to upload a correct version :)
another thing, should we expect leaping skeletons? I remember you put a tutorial with skeletons doing the leap attack, and it could be funny to see more than barbs flying over our heads
We will see if there will be any enemies that leap attack against you :)

EDIT:
I though on the Armor piercing (damage ac built in)
Yep, Armor piercing arrows exists.

the Flare arrows (light radius but near no physical damage, maybe if you want little fire damage)

Good idea, haven't thougth about this one :)

Burning arrows (burn damage doesn't give exp) but its actually fun and requires skill to get the experience

Same with this one as the above
Soul Arrows (mana burn, only for pvp)
Nice, got three more ideas for arrows in here that we haven't used.

also, there will be any Gore crafts (player ears used on recipes)? or you prefer that HC play get safer and less paranoic?

Ears will actually have "importance" in some ways. You will have use of those ears in some ways.
Last edited by kingpin on Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:16 pm

[quote=kingpin";p="165091"]Ears will actually have "importance" in some ways. You will have use of those ears in some ways.[/quote]

For player killers to get his desired string of ears after they got enough of them? :twisted:

other arrow types I remember are:

Poison/toxic arrows (toxins on their sharp edges to assure a painful time)

Bone shards (undead only arrows) strange arrows that could resurrect monsters on death (that old resurrection mod? I remember it got disabled)

Stunner (% to cause stun on an enemy, not powerful arrows but help other clases apart of the amazon)

Edit: another arrow type and a suggestion.

Fleshripper arrow (lower by 50% your attack rating to represent it only works on not-covered by armor flesh) give an critical chance to the arrow and make the targets bleed (15% chance to appear with 20% damage to animals)

and now the suggestion:

Most intelligent races (well, at least capable of create weapons) can make his own type of arrows (like orcs/goblins) it could be funny to see an orc arrow that deals %damage to elves (or viceversa) :)

other thing, its possible to do a bow (or bow skill) that throws arrows using the movement function of the throwing potions (aka you shoot in a 45º angle to avoid obstacles but harder to hit a target this way (good with immolation arrow to add fire on the ground.
Last edited by Vendanna on Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Omen's production

Mythrander101
Champion of the Light

Post by Mythrander101 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:09 pm

there have been cool arrows mentioned so far, here's one i think would be cool:

water arrows=an arrow that when comes near a fire, it explodes in a shower of water putting out the fire, there is an area of effect, lilke 1-3 meters or somethin.

I've often been in a situation where i've not wanted to have to walk/run thru a fire, maybe this is doable??

ALSO: i have another monster part=scalp. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

keep up the good work Dark Alliance Team!

World of Warcraft:

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:55 pm

Nice arrow suggestions.

water arrows=an arrow that when comes near a fire, it explodes in a shower of water putting out the fire, there is an area of effect, lilke 1-3 meters or somethin.

I've often been in a situation where i've not wanted to have to walk/run thru a fire, maybe this is doable??

This would be hard to make working I think.
ALSO: i have another monster part=scalp. Surprised no one has mentioned it.
We are using scalp already. I have maybe forgott to list it in the monster item and bodypart thread.

EDIT:
Most intelligent races (well, at least capable of create weapons) can make his own type of arrows (like orcs/goblins) it could be funny to see an orc arrow that deals %damage to elves (or viceversa)

This would work more if the spices deal more damage against one of the summon types. Then it would be usefull :)

other thing, its possible to do a bow (or bow skill) that throws arrows using the movement function of the throwing potions (aka you shoot in a 45º angle to avoid obstacles but harder to hit a target this way (good with immolation arrow to add fire on the ground.
Nice idea, I will add this one for sure :)
Last edited by kingpin on Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mythrander101
Champion of the Light

Post by Mythrander101 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:12 pm

Quote:

Nice idea, I will add this one for sure
This sounds really cool, You could shoot up onto the next lvl of dirt in Act5, it explodes on impact and liquid fire spreads around the impact area; in a kind of expanding or growing circular radius. :cool:

World of Warcraft:

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:50 pm

Hmmmm, for the gold system, I'd like to see some bosses (like in Hell mode) drop Platinum Coins, the best. :)

CD
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Hmmmm, for the gold system, I'd like to see some bosses (like in Hell mode) drop Platinum Coins, the best.
We will only use gold, some monsters will have a chance to drop a bag of gold. Not, sure if we added a bag of gold to bosses or if it was somethings else :)

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:34 pm

What do you think of "Holy water" to give Holy bonuses to a weapon (baptise the weapon with pure water) it could work the same way as the Oils (and also have the same limitation)

also... posible to see a powerful enemy caster that throw a curse at you that transforms you on a sheep?

Sheep state: you can't attack or cast spells during this state

it could be a "special" enemy, I found it funny and annoying, ala Nilathak :)

(of course the decission is all yours, its only an idea)

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:38 pm

What do you think of "Holy water" to give Holy bonuses to a weapon (baptise the weapon with pure water) it could work the same way as the Oils (and also have the same limitation)

Maybe class specific ability to Paladin's :)

There will exist class specific abilities to each class and don't remember if we had anything for Paladin yet. Amazon will have fletchery (make her own arrows).

Sheep state: you can't attack or cast spells during this state

Or a Goat state: whenever you walk, you walk into the opposite direction you was supposed to go to :)

We will see if we add anything like this. It would in that way be a bonus level like Moo Moo Farm level :)

EDIT:

I have corrected a lot of wrong links to screenshots in the first pages and have also removed old links I no longer have the screenshots for.
Last edited by kingpin on Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:46 pm

there will be a make Sllaylleg" skill (or how its supposed to be the name of the druidic magic staff capable to hurt vampires and such) or an class specific staff for druids (like the ribcracker style)

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:11 pm

there will be a make Sllaylleg" skill (or how its supposed to be the name of the druidic magic staff capable to hurt vampires and such) or an class specific staff for druids (like the ribcracker style)
Was this a question? :)

I suppose you meant will there be a...? :)

There are nothing planned like that at the moment, but since you have mentioned it I will think about it :)

ArCh4Ng3
Champion of the Light

Post by ArCh4Ng3 » Tue May 11, 2004 5:00 am

Me and a friend found a nice idea for DA...

that would prolly be a nice idea for the necro

he should have a special skill, which would, when casted (not works evertime..maybe up the % with the lvl) will kill the targeted monster in the weapon he is using(the monster killed could not be unique/superunique, in the case of others it should automatically cast the "normal version")

this way the necro could actually summon the entraped monster to fight by his side which would have its original skills

this skill would be over the revive skill, it would be evil! :twisted:

to add an even more nifty bonus , the entraped soul on the weapon could either add holy bonus or cursed :twisted: bonuses

only an idea tho ^^

edit : to make the idea even a little more kinky, why not adding a weapon type, "Catalysts" which would be necro only, u need to have the weapon equiped to cast the skill so those weapons would be a little special ^^
Last edited by ArCh4Ng3 on Tue May 11, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
An atheist knows that we should build hospitals instead of churchs.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue May 11, 2004 8:39 pm

This skill would be a bit hard to make.

EDIT:

Sorry for the lack off update lately. I have had some computer problem that has been fixed.

I have finished a minor part off dark alliance:
{Note: the version number you see there is our internal number for the upcomming betatest version of DA}

Shortcut Screenshot

EDIT2:

Usually we don't add any new features into the first chapter. But, we come up recently with the idea that it would be fun with have the possibilities to use locked door (so afj666 coded a system with locked door to require keys).

This make it possible to add special keys you need to find for quests/subquests :)

Normal doors have a chance to be locked so you would need a key (same key as for chests to open it up).

Here is an example for Monastery Gate that will require a special key to gain access to it.

Closed Door

Opened Door
Last edited by kingpin on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:59 pm

[quote=kingpin";p="172887"]
Normal doors have a chance to be locked so you would need a key (same key as for chests to open it up).

Here is an example for Monastery Gate that will require a special key to gain access to it.[/quote]

Wow. It gives a lot of new possibilities! You can use the same system for special chests too!
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:48 pm

I have been playing around a bit with character in-game animations today and these is somethings you can expect to see in da (together with new custom in-game graphics for character classes). Those down here is just unused in-game graphics.

Character Equipped with a torch

Character Equipped with a Burning Sword
Last edited by kingpin on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:13 pm

There is any news on the Web site, I see it more dead than a ghost city :P

I know you are busy updating the mod and the topics here, but the news you have on the web had webs with spiders all over it ;)

Between, good work with the skills, you are working really fast, seems that since sorceress is the last character of the preview, you want to finish it so we can put our hands on the preview sooner :mrgreen:

Black Omen's production

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:51 pm

I know, its to bad I haven't been able to do any website updates. But, I decided after the last website update that I don't do anything more before I have the new site finished. The current site is a pain in ass to update, take to mutch time without any good tools and these tools take time to develope so had to decide, work on mod or work on site :P

But, after the preview version is finished the more frequently updates will happend again.

Return to “Dark Alliance”