Player Suggestions

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Player Suggestions

Post by kingpin » Thu May 06, 2004 7:10 pm

We already use cursed affixes since long time.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Fri May 07, 2004 2:50 pm

First of all sorry for double posting...

I have some more ideas: what do you Kingpin think about placing a new item (weapon) type - shurikens. It can be powerfull throwing weapon. It can be class specific - for assasin (don't remember replacement name :o). You can use graphics from "Blade Fury" skill.

And other: there can exist other new item class - potions. Not just common potions. These potions can have time limit, and giving various stats - I think that potions, that allows you to transform in any monster will be ok :). And some others, like +5% experience gained and such - it depends on your imagination :D

What do you think about these Kingpin?
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat May 08, 2004 1:21 pm

I removed your double post.
I have some more ideas: what do you Kingpin think about placing a new item (weapon) type - shurikens. It can be powerfull throwing weapon. It can be class specific - for assasin (don't remember replacement name ). You can use graphics from "Blade Fury" skill.
Maybe, I think some of the artists in DA already have made shurikens graphics. But, not sure if we will use it.

And other: there can exist other new item class - potions. Not just common potions. These potions can have time limit, and giving various stats - I think that potions, that allows you to transform in any monster will be ok . And some others, like +5% experience gained and such - it depends on your imagination
Limited effects to stats is used by Herbs already and transformations to any monster will not be used. But you will be able to transform into other monsters in some rare ways.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun May 09, 2004 3:24 am

Molmoch:

I moved your thougths into this thread instead.

1) Martial arts outfits. Could these be set items? Maybe the set items do not generate any bonus if a weapon is equipped?

Its a possiblity, not sure what you meant with the last part about "not generate any bonus if a weapon is equipped"

2) Set items generation. One of my biggest beefs with set items is the infrequency of drops. By the time someone has gathered all the items, they usually have better rares than the set could generate. Otherwise set items become twinks for new characters.

Set items is far better in DA, when you gather the sets you usually gain some nice effects that makes it worth to have it. A complete set is usually the best type of item you can have.

3) Lesser powered uniques need to drop more often. I still remember back to D1 when I found a Flesh of Torn Souls (right name?) on level 2 before fighting the Butcher. I wish there were more drops of lesser powered uniques in order to get a better feeling for the casual gamer.

The problem in unmodded game is that there doesn't exist much low-level uniques. In dark alliance you find a lot of low level uniques. Each itemtype has its own unique version, also each monster spec item has an unique version.

4) The most powerful items in the game should be rares. This encourages the power gamer types to really go at it.
We have as a goal to make no quality to dominate another. Each quality will have its own uniqueness.

5) Runewords / gems / insertables. I really like some of the concepts in the Kingdom of Tenai mod where a person has to make trade-offs between magic, rare, and strong viable socketed items. Not saying take those ideas, but I like the balancing issues.

I have no plaed KoT so don't know more than from screenshots how it works :)

6) I am not advocating simply more drops to increase ease of gameplay. I just wish there were more options available to the casual player.
More drops means usually harder to balance or could also means even more crap items. But, a balanced drop isn't easy to accomplish.

Montex
Paladin

Suggestions

Post by Montex » Wed May 12, 2004 8:21 pm

Any1 remembers runeword Delerium (not sure about spelling). It offered some new skill that no class had. Maybe it was a nice idea. Sadly i havent made that runeword... But items giving completely new skills that no char has, it may be a nice idea after all. Such skills could be: heal, some new summon - let it even be a dragon :D, a self-morph into something skill....

Gheed's (grand)mother: After completing 1act 4quest most NPC's could lower prices, but not Gheed :lol: He could tell u an interesting story about his relations with The Countess and he should raise not lower his prices. Well that's a joke that could make some people smile. just be sure player talks to Gheed... Somehow i dont like that NPC too much :twisted:

Another CRAZY idea: potions are EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!!!!!!!! That what u could hear in town. :o Why? They are unnatural, they destroy the balance of the nature and the body :( . They still heal your wounds quickly but there is a nasty side effect: after healing 100 HP in 1-2 sec u will lose the same amount of health during the next 1-2 min. Yet to keep the game balanced there should be a HP regeneration available for all classes. Like an item in your inventory that restores xHP/sec/lvl. A game with very little potions - i'd like to see that... :!:
Somewhere between reality and fantasy... Where one ends yet the other does not begin...

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu May 13, 2004 1:20 am

Any1 remembers runeword Delerium (not sure about spelling). It offered some new skill that no class had. Maybe it was a nice idea. Sadly i havent made that runeword... But items giving completely new skills that no char has, it may be a nice idea after all. Such skills could be: heal, some new summon - let it even be a dragon , a self-morph into something skill....
In Dark Alliance we use spellscrolls for this. A spellscroll contain an own unique skill that no other character have.

Gheed's (grand)mother: After completing 1act 4quest most NPC's could lower prices, but not Gheed He could tell u an interesting story about his relations with The Countess and he should raise not lower his prices. Well that's a joke that could make some people smile. just be sure player talks to Gheed... Somehow i dont like that NPC too much
This would be easy to implement. It's for sure a fun idea :)

nother CRAZY idea: potions are EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!!!!!!!! That what u could hear in town. Why? They are unnatural, they destroy the balance of the nature and the body . They still heal your wounds quickly but there is a nasty side effect: after healing 100 HP in 1-2 sec u will lose the same amount of health during the next 1-2 min. Yet to keep the game balanced there should be a HP regeneration available for all classes. Like an item in your inventory that restores xHP/sec/lvl. A game with very little potions - i'd like to see that...
This is somethings we have planned to do. There will exist cursed potions that looks like a normal potion, but it give some bad sideeffects instead of what it usually gives.

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Thu May 13, 2004 7:31 am

I have read the storyline. The spirit or original Diablo2 is still strong… There was a Dark Alliance formed and 1 hero tries to break it. And so the hero enters Tristam (it seems u renamed the Rogue Encampment), chats with a sad, strange looking person (Jerucan) who tells his about a great burden he has to carry. (Get rid of Warriv!) Most of his time he spends in a nearby cave and Akara the suspicious old witch (didn’t like the priestess of the Sightless Eye) finds it really strange. So, the first test – explore the cave. Jerucan is no longer there but the unique zombie (if it is still there) could drop a book with some story fragment – a clue about DA). Jerucan should also disappear from Tristam (like Nihlathak in act 5 before 3rd quest – he could later be found in the Catacombs 4 again). That’s for the beginning…
Quest 2: It is time for a witch meeting to discuss the recent troubles and the stranger. “Hey you, the new guy! A witch Blood Raven lives in a peaceful garden nearby. Summon her immediately.” Reputation is reputation… Of to the Graveyard then… You don’t expect to find there a garden after all, do you? She got mad after a long time being alone or corrupted (whatever u like) and turned the garden into a nice looking graveyard. Well, maybe she had talked to Jerucan too much??? Anyway she refuses to go to the meeting. Back in town the witches aren’t too happy about this so they insist that one of them should go with you to prevent such disasters in the future. Why not?
Quest 3: “Blood Raven is dead – too bad. Well, I hate men-wizards but there is no other choice… There is one living in the nearby ruins but it won’t be easy to get to him. He is even more suspicious than me (Akara). He has made so many magic wards to protect him from all the dangers that he can’t come outside himself. Paranoia… But there is way… (the usual scroll – stones thing)”
Quest 4: (I have already written some ideas about it before)… Nothing new by now…
Quest 5: Smith – hammer… How about a summoned golem to protect some kind of book? That’s only an idea… “Times are really grim… We can’t wait for help from outside. We must use whatever we have of our own. Even if we promised not to use that book again there is no other choice left… Fetch it! (good boy)”
And so a witch prepares for some strange rituals in the depths of their monastery (do they have one? Or should it be renamed?) Is it corrupted? Not yet! But something goes wrong. Maybe she read the wrong page or something else… Bah. Nice little transformation and here we go – Andariel – totally nuts, totally mad…
Quest 6: “Ooooops… Andariel occupied the monastery… Well, even if others are not allowed into our sacred place but we can’t handle it alone… It’s time to party!” And what do we have there? Jerucan, of course. Was it his fault the spell went wrong? Or was it not? Who knows… Yet he has finished his business here and is now traveling to Lut Golein… Go East???????? Go East!!!!!!!
That is the end of act 1... Enjoy the cute scene...
Somewhere between reality and fantasy... Where one ends yet the other does not begin...

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon May 17, 2004 2:28 pm

And so the hero enters Tristam (it seems u renamed the Rogue Encampment)
You still start in Rogue Encampment. The Prologue you are mention from is Diablo 1 (or in Dark Alliance, the time before Tristram becomes corrupted and got hidden from the world).

All mainquest/main part of the story is already written. So, its unlikely that we will change it. Only improve parts where things are missing. However, side stories/quests is still somethings we would add.

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sun May 23, 2004 9:09 am

The original Diablo2 was mainly 1-button-pressing(holding)-game. I think it is because the game pace is too high. Slowing the game would give players the chanse to think what to do next - use the same attack or swich to smth else. Mainly it could be done by decreasing the weapon base spead, adding 0.2-0.4 sec casting delays and increasing the monster AI delay. The overall run speed could alse be decreased.
What makes Diablo different from most other RPGs (i am not sure if it is really good) is that here quantity is more important than quality. While killing a monster is other games u feel a relief - "was a good battle", in Diablo it is "yet another - hardly to notice in the crowd". Monsters could be stronger but the number in groups could be decreased like fighting 1-3 at one time. to compensate this the dessity could be increased but the groups should not interact with each other.
Thats it for now...

Mylon

Post by Mylon » Sat May 29, 2004 4:26 am

Just a suggestion, but I don't really like the idea of an oil limit on equipment. How about, instead of limiting how many times a piece of equipment can be oiled, lower the effect of the different oils. That is, it would be entirely possible to add 100 defense boosting oils to an armor, but if each only adds 5-10 defense, then what's the big deal?

Then again, I'm sorta a sucker for infinitely craftable/levellable equipment.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat May 29, 2004 10:41 pm

We have a limit of number of times you can use the oil of balance reason. Keeping a lower number of times makes it easier to balance. But, still you can customize your items to have those additional effect you wished it had.

Mylon

Post by Mylon » Sun May 30, 2004 5:19 am

The problem I have with gems and will probably have with oils is that they're limited and permanent. I have a problem putting a gem into a socket at early levels because there's always the hope I might find a better gem. Not just that, but I can't take out the gem _nor_ can I put it other ones. If gems were permanent but infinitely usable, I'd throw 'em around like nothing, since I can always find more, but I tend to save the best gems for the best equipment. The result? By the time I get good gems and good equipment, normal magic items surpass them.

In short, either make it infinitely upgradable (as they were in Diablo hellfire) or non-permanent (which seems quite out of theme for an "oil"). Also, the infinitely upgradable aspect can be countered by making the individual oils not so insanely powerful as they were suggested to be with some of the screenshots posted on the web.

Oils should not be about "saving the best oils for the best equipment". After all, no one is gonna waste their time with the weaker oils at higher levels since they only get five uses per item, where if oils worked infinitely, even a +1 attack rating oil would still be useful at high levels.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sun May 30, 2004 3:11 pm

as it was said before Infinitely upgreadable its a big nono for balance.

because there is no way a modded can balance something that always can be upgraded without a limit.

second, if you upgrade infinite times a item, let's say on damage, you will get to a rollover problems, like it happens as example on zy-el mod as example and that is not funny =/

noona is gonna waste their time with the weaker oils? bleh then you are the type of player that only collect non-perfect gems and never uses them...

I use them because it may be an advantage early on, especially on Hardcore gameplay, where all the little red gems are valuable (its life bonus after all, and if you get to 0 then its your permanent death)

also, the modmakers always can make "weaker" oils better, using them on cube recipes or in special quests rewards, so don't speak to soon before actually test it ;)

another thing, there is no best equipment at all, because you always can upgrade your equipment or maybe you get a rare in a million that is better than the rest of crap you have :P

until then, enjoy the time. --==Vendanna==--
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Montex
Paladin

Post by Montex » Sun May 30, 2004 6:43 pm

So what about "unoiling"? I know it it possible with gems? There can be cube recipe that unsockets the gemes (i have seen it in a mod just dont know which one). Maybe u can make a recipe: oiled item + something common -> unoiled item.
Another simple idea about the affixes. I know u claim they are already done but a few more wont do any harm. What i suggest is to combine eg. Str -40 and Str 1/lvl into 1 affix. u will get negative bonus before level 40 but later it can be really powerfull. Or it can be Dex +40 and Dex -1/lvl - making preffix good only in early game. i t can even be specified to 1-level-affix like Exp bonus +100, Exp bonus -10/lvl, Lvl required 9. If u get it at lvl 9 u are lucky - u will level up faster. If u get it later u can drop it away.

P.S. how much of the beta is done, is the progress report up to date?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun May 30, 2004 8:04 pm

We have talked a little about unoiled in the past. There is a chance that this will be implemented in the future. It's just for the preview version we will not add any more features, instead we are trying to finish those that still are left to do.

The same goes for affixes. We will not add anymore to the preview version. However, when its done we will add more (we still have some empty unused slots). So, there is still chance to create completely new affixes. The affixes you suggested is possible to make and will be take into consideration when we look into that again and if you have more ideas related to this you are welcome to add suggestions.

The progress reports is quite up to date, the major part left to do before the preview version is done is the character classes. All seven classes will be added to preview version and only one is complete at the moment and is currently working on Druid skills.

Montex
Paladin

Player Suggestions

Post by Montex » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:59 am

:lol: Trere is a Diablo2 humour: Kill al the bugs in Duriel chamber and u will get lots of perfects.... Or something similar.
It seems that some Dummies kan be "killed" (rats, snakes, scorpions) while other cant (chickens, bats). Can those killable drop something? Some things required for common cube recipes (like u finally hunt down a scorpion and get a poison vial to make envenomed arrows). :D
Try killing some its not so easy as it seems....... :roll:

Theli
Paladin

Some suggestions

Post by Theli » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Well...

:D

...what about a summon companion skill for the Barbarian?
The barb is in my opinion the character in most need of summons.
A skill that's available from the first levelup (levelreq:1), that summons a barbarian, possibly looking like the friendly barbs in Act5. Though unlike other summons, his specs (like damage or hitpoints) should be based on the summoner's. I'm not sure if you can use the character's damage directly, but strength should work. These specs would be multiplied by a factor set by how many points you've invested in the skill. For instance... at a certain skilllevel the damage the companion deals is 70% of the summoner's, and his hitpoints is 70% also.
It would be nice to see synergy-upgrade skills available to give the companion for instance elemental damage, higher attack- and movementspeed.
This should not be similar to the shadow warrior where the specs are set by the skillpoints alone.

...just an idea.
"Come, come and try some cosmic weed, and glance a world so strange indeed."
- Lake of Tears
http://www.theli.net

Mythrander101
Champion of the Light

Post by Mythrander101 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:44 pm

Actually, I was thinking about a summon for the barb, and thought about something like those floating scimitars in Act II. Maybe the Barb could summon a floating weapon and give it either "will deal x number of hits" before destruction of the summon, or "will last x number of seconds".

Of course, the higher lvl the skill, the more damage and/or length/hits/ dealt buy summon.

Is this confusing?

Keep up the awesome work Kingpin!

Myth :snipersmile:
Internal Tester for Diablo II: Dark Alliance Mod.

People say that I suffer from insanity, but I don't suffer from it, I enjoy every moment of it!

World of Warcraft:
Realm: Feathermoon/Alliance
Name: Alistania, Tank

Theli
Paladin

Post by Theli » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:59 am

Can summoned creatures summon other creatures? Can you assign a "summon" skill to a monster? It would be interesting. :)

Atleast I would like to see some summoned creatures' specs to be based on the summoner's.
- Lake of Tears

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:04 pm

Yep,

it's possible for your pets to summon their own minions. There is a possiblity that there will be a pet that have this. Its somethings that is planned maybe for necromancer :)

Theli
Paladin

Post by Theli » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:18 pm

What about linking damage or hitpoints from the summoner to the creature like I mentioned in a post above?
- Lake of Tears

acdc14235
Paladin

Post by acdc14235 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:51 am

Are there gonna be alot of new magic suffixes / prefixes? Those are always fun ;) Like, LOTS. Making magic items more versatile. Not just 10 or 20 more, im talking maybe 100+ :twisted:
Last edited by acdc14235 on Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dfagdafh

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:33 am

Yep, there are actually 100+ new affixes :)

acdc14235
Paladin

Post by acdc14235 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:45 pm

Yay!! :)
dfagdafh

hert

Post by hert » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:44 pm

Dont know if these ideas have already been input into this forum but here they are:

Howbout haveing weapons throwable at a higher% dmg than any of your other moves but only throws once. But you can only retrieve your weapon when the monster dies it drops your item.

Pretty good to finish a monster off or get that last hit on diablo to finish him. If your hardcore it could become a handy last resort.

Show the monsters hp it has left like Monster Name
780/12900
Plus have the number of dmg you are dealing to a monster pop up on the screen near you.

Have a soul collectors bag able to be sold at vendors for a high price, but you can only hold one bag on your character at a time.

150,000 small bag( a 10 square inventory, but takes up 4 squares in your inventory)
500,000 medium bag( a 15 square inventory, but takes up 6 squares in your inventory)
5,000,000 Large bag( a 20 square inventory, but takes up 8 squares in your inventory)

You collect souls from monsters and certain monsters souls have the same attributes like +5 strength and you put them in the bags inventory.

If you already have the max amount of souls you must sacrifice the ones less important to you to hold new and better ones. So at max you will only be able to hold 20 souls in your large bag, no more. Your bag will show the list of attributes you have in your bag, and they will help you.

Gladiator ring set out in the wilderness and to enter it you have to talk to the match ordinator just outside of it. If you accept the challenge and enter a red portal will be opened for you to take. Once you are inside series of monsters will appear( i know this is possible like the baal triggers in the worldstone to make monsters appear) you cannot escape the arena until it's over because the portal alter(like arcanes) will not work. If you die in the arena you die permanently!!! Once you win you will be able to open the portal back to the ordinator to claim your prize, A title(Commander Knight, Elder Priest, etc), and an item that is worth the risk. This will also work with an arena in town where you can 1 on 1 another player. If you defeat the other player you can take there items and again, a title.

--the higher your title, the more merchants like you and the better deals you can get

You can also sell the ears of high-titled players for lots of cash.

Have shrines in the wilderness that let you transform into powerful creatures.

I know someone said something about this but i have a different look at it:

Have certain environments change your character or harm them....like...

Hot firery areas will slowly dmg you unless you have a certain suit.
Poison suits for poisoness bogs
Miner hats- to wear in black forests to see through the dark.
Wintery places slow your character 50%

thats all for now, eating steak_ :mrgreen:

Return to “Dark Alliance”