Class Revamps, Rage System and Barbarian e.tc

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Class Revamps, Rage System and Barbarian e.tc

Post by kingpin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:01 pm

I have during later half of 2008 been working alot on improve parts in DA that I wasn't satisfy with. Some parts where in there due to techical limitations or because they was made very long time ago (then it comes to skills they was done 2004/2005 with a very different techical limitation).

Some of the bigger changes you will see in next content patch (like the new treasure class system) are already done since months ago. Some of the changes require massive programming to make it work in the way I want. This is usually what take alot of time. Now, in this post I will talk about some of the major changes related to current and future classes and aswell about barbarian's new resource system "Rage". Alot of those changes wont get into next content patch. But, is something's for sure you will see in the pre-alpha version.

Barbarian
Barbarian will use a complete new resource system called Rage. This replace the existing "mana resource" system that barbarian is known to use in Diablo 2.

Rage: is a new resource system to pay for your more powerful abilities to use. You gain rage by attack/slain your enemies and can for a limited of time store your current rage. Rage will decay over time so you will never be able to store your rage forever until you use it.

New Base Stat: Mentality - this replace the intelligence stat that the other classes uses. This raise the max rage cap a player can have and aswell slower the decay of rage. But decay can never be lowered to zero.

Skill Tree's: Barbarians skill tree's is focused on combat with one handed, two handed, throwing weapons and spiritism. There will be both old and new skills in the three's and obvious spiritism will be something's you haven't seen before.

1 handed combat tree:
In the current version of Barbarian the first skill tree is named 1 handed combat tree. Down here you can see some examples of how first tier look.

Rank = max level of skill you can buy in it.

Steel of Disciples
You use a one handed axe, sword or mace to strike your enemies.

Tier: 1

Effects:
+1-5 Rage gain per successful hit
+2-10% Damage

Dodge
Chance to avoid an incoming attack

Effect:
+1-5% increased chance to dodge

Deep Wound
Your attacks have a chance to inflict a deep wound.

Effect:
Based on weapon damage + 1-10% additional bleed damage over 10 secs.

Items that require mana to use: Barbarian lack the ability to use the magical energy that float around the world. So, he will never be able to use anything that require mana to use. He want be able to use spellscrolls or items that enable skills other classes that require mana.

Class Revamps:

Sorceress, Druid and Paladin will have a revamp of their tree's. The skills that worked well will be converted to the new skilltree system. There will be new skills added aswell.

The general character tree will be removed aswell. Originally it was planned to be a shared skill tree between all classes. But, I never worked any further on that idea. So, instead each class will have four different tree's that each goes into different focus on the class.

Skill tier system
There will be a new tier system for skill tree's. The way each tier is restricted will be changed.

Some major changes:

- No more min level restriction to buy the skill. If you have enough legend points you can buy it.

- No more min stat restriction. This restriction have never turned out to work in the way it was originally intended. The goal is give more freedom into the system. Not to limit it. This was the major reason why the Legend Point system was introduced originally.

- Tier 1 skills have no restrictions besides you need pay for it's cost.

- Tier 2 and 3 skills require enough points spend into that tree.

- Tier 4 skills and above require you to do a subquest chain to unlock. You can only specialize yourself into one of the four character tree's. But, after the specialization you can still always buy any tier 1 to 3 skill of the other tree's.Also require enough points spend into that tree to actually buy as example a tier 4 skill.

- all skills have a max skill level labeled as rank: x. If X is 1 this means you can only buy one rank in it. No skills will goes higher than rank 10.

- There wont exist any items that can raise the max rank. The +skill and +all skill modifiers will be phased out from dark alliance. The biggest reason to do so is due to balance issues. All know +all skills is very broken stat and with the change of skill system this wouldn't work to well. This change will take into effect then the skill revamp is released.

Character Incompatibility
Then the pre-alpa version is released all characters before it will become incompatible. This due to major changes made since the preview version. The next planned content patch for preview version will however still keep the character compability. There is still alot of work to be done before the next patch is out. Once there is closer a release date I will post about it in next content patch notes.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Class Revamps, Rage System and Barbarian e.tc

Post by kingpin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Rage system is now fully implemented for barbarian.

A preview screenshot from the rage layout

Barbarian Rage Preview

In this screenshot you can find the updated charscreen, replacement of mana bubble (replaced with a rage bubble).

The rage decay ticks down continious while you are not using it up.

If you logout you have still the current rage left until next time you play.

Mentality and skills will slow the decay timer.

Nameless
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Nameless » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:43 am

Will there be any Rage potions (or "Mad Mushrooms") ?

How long a decay time are we talking about (approximately)? I like to pick up lots of stuff and sell / store it in the stash while it in town and if the rage is gone when I'm done, then it's a pretty sucky system. Would it be possible to stop the decay when you're in town?

I for one never bothered with Revives in normal D2 for this reason. By the time I have enough revived to be useful my inventory is full, requiring a trip to town. And when I'm done there, the Revives start to time out, so they're basically useless to me.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:23 am

Will there be any Rage potions (or "Mad Mushrooms") ?
There will probably be a rage potion. I'm working on a system where you can use potions on a limited time (so you can't chain pot rage, would really break the system). Rage potion would definitly need a cooldown before you can use next one :)

How long a decay time are we talking about (approximately)? I like to pick up lots of stuff and sell / store it in the stash while it in town and if the rage is gone when I'm done, then it's a pretty sucky system. Would it be possible to stop the decay when you're in town?
The decay is pretty slow atm. But, will be tweaked before it's in a public release.

It's an idea to stop decay in town. Currently not implemented (but not hard to add).

I for one never bothered with Revives in normal D2 for this reason. By the time I have enough revived to be useful my inventory is full, requiring a trip to town. And when I'm done there, the Revives start to time out, so they're basically useless to me.
Rage is primaly a resource system that you use while you continious fight. If you hit a mob with your basic attack system you gain rage. If you use one of your special moves you use rage.

Nameless
Forum Legend
Power

Post by Nameless » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 am

kingpin";p="411047" wrote:There will probably be a rage potion. I'm working on a system where you can use potions on a limited time (so you can't chain pot rage, would really break the system). Rage potion would definitly need a cooldown before you can use next one :)

Rage is primaly a resource system that you use while you continious fight. If you hit a mob with your basic attack system you gain rage. If you use one of your special moves you use rage.
For me the main point would be that I often prepare before a big fight (boss) and I wouldn't like to start such a fight with an empty rage bulb.

I don't know if you have enough stats left, but instead of a cooldown how about this: A hidden stat, called "Rage Potion Efficiency", that's normally 100 (%). When you drink a pot, the stat is set to 0 and then slowly increases again to 100. The effect of a rage potion is multiplied by that stat, so if you drink another rage pot right after the first, then it would only (for example) give you 5% of the rage points it normally would.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 am

Towns
Your rage doesn't decay in towns.

This will allow you to prepare for your next trip without feel stressed to sell of your gears, put stuff in bank e.tc.

For me the main point would be that I often prepare before a big fight (boss) and I wouldn't like to start such a fight with an empty rage bulb.

I don't know if you have enough stats left, but instead of a cooldown how about this: A hidden stat, called "Rage Potion Efficiency", that's normally 100 (%). When you drink a pot, the stat is set to 0 and then slowly increases again to 100. The effect of a rage potion is multiplied by that stat, so if you drink another rage pot right after the first, then it would only (for example) give you 5% of the rage points it normally would.
stats is no issue. Can add as many I would like to. The restrictions in unmodded itemstat is nothing I have :)

The Efficiency idea is something's tjhat could work. What I want is avoid the classic drink mana/hp to survive the fight. If you need continious to drink to manage use your skills. Then the system is clearly broken :)

Update 18-Feb 2009
I have been working on a new potion system that allows them to use cooldowns. This is something's I've already mentioned that I have been planned to add.

I have always wanted to go away from chain pot system that diablo using. It should be a tactical choice to use the potion over use it every time and the difficulty should be build around this.

It's a long time goal to change the difficutly to be more tactical over spam potions. Due to technical limitations before this goal haven't been possible to work on before now.

The Potion_Effiency idea is interesting. But, it still wouldn't get away from the chain potting. You could just stackup more potions to get a similar effect and in the end I think it wouldn't be a fun solution.

Rage will be the first that will use potions with cooldowns.

Akara will be selling the first type of rage potion as you can see in example below.

Minor Rage Potion

Note: The actual rage values on potion is not finalized yet. This is just test values.

The cooldown timer is only visible then you used the potion. You will get an ingame message in the logsystem then you drink the potion that will remind that you cannot use another rage potion (all rage type potions will share same cooldown). The cooldown will be ticking down and you can see this on the potion itself like in the screenshot. Then the cooldown ended the logsystem will remind you about this. So, you don't need to keep an eye on the potion itself to see if it's usable yet or not.

All rage type of potions is only usable by barbarians.

The timer is saved between games. You can't logout to reset the timer (wouldn't be any fun if it did and easy abuse in mp :)).

There will exist some crazy potions for barbarian.

Mad Mushrooms (thanks for great name Nameless::)
Level req: 30
Usuable: Barbarians only
Effect: Double the barbarians damage at cost of increased rage decay.
Duration: 1 Minute
Cooldown: same as rage potions (is currently 2 mins)

This potion is craftable by Barbarian.

Note: This is an example potion. The actual effect in potion may be changed before it's seen in the public.
Last edited by kingpin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Dark Alliance”