Tutorial: Changing monster colors

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Nefarius, Necrolis

No votes

Total votes: 0

MarcoNecroX
Paladin

Tutorial: Changing monster colors

Post by MarcoNecroX » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Introduction:

Hello everyone. I've been working intensively on monster color changes.
Basically, what we want to do, is change monster colors in a 'professional' way.
It is known for any newbie modder that you can apply a state to a monster with a colorshift,
but this is usually bad looking, as the colorshift palettes mess up black borders (for example)
turning them to those color borders too.

So here I made a little complation with a tutorial on how to change monster colors so they will
look good. This is mostly useful for NEW tokens (from infinitum) as these don't come with any
palshifts. In some cases we can see in infinitum that there are different variants of a monster, and
what is different in them? Many times, only the colors. With this method you could save some space
if you want to use any of the new tokens more than once.

Basics:

Alright, we want to know some basics that can be useful if you want to go a bit deeper into this.
First of all, we need to know the hierarchy of the monster directories. Monster tokens, old and new,
are stored in data\global\monsters. Then we need to have a monster to work on, and finally, the COF
folder.

In these folder you will find a palshift.dat file for all clod monsters, what are these files, well they are
simply palettes. They have 8 entries IIRC, but we are only focused on 5 of them. These palettes
usually have a relation with the monster, so a monster with Red as base color will get its red entries
changed to another color in those palettes. Alright this isn't important unless you want to create your
own palettes for monsters. If you don't want to go deep into this like for example changing all colors
of a monster except its horns (just an example) it isn't important.

Resource:
There are several stuff you can do with the files provided below. For example, you migiht want to
have a monster with 2 color variants, or a monster with 4-5 color variants if you want to use him
more than once.

On the pack you will see some colors repeated. If you wanted to do a monster with only 1 new color
variant, you can pick any of the palettes. However, suppose we want to have a monster with 5 color
variants, we need to see the combos. For example; we want to make a monster Red, but we will also
want to make him another color in the future. As I said, each palette has up to 5 usable entries, and we
can use only 1 palette for a monster. So we have to look for a palette that has all the index we like.

For example: you want to make a monster have a red variant and a blue variant. And suppose we find these files:
- Red, Green, Black, Grey
- Blue, Green Black
- Red, Blue

Since we want to have a red and a blue variant, we need to choose the #3d pallete, but this can cost you
the loss of other color options, or other colors that we don't want.

Tutorial:
Download the files, now you will see a few folders that are named as colors, like this:
#. Color 1 - Color 2 - Color 3 - Color 4 - Color 5

Usually color 1 is 'N' this means this color setting will make no change in the color.
Color 1 is equal to the value "0" in TransLvl (monstats). So if we change the palette
of the fallens where color 1 is NOT 'N', we will get all our regular fallens colored.

Alright, as I mentioned before, we want to look for a 'combo' that suits our needs.
I did the pack after checking every single palshift file on the game, and I saved the
most useful ones. There a lot more palshifts in the game but in many cases these will
screw when used with other monsters. A basic example; the Skeleton pallette makes
the normal skinny skeleton making it look bigger by changing semi-visible colors
from the regular palette to highly visible colors making it look 'more armored'. Usually
these kind of mechanisms will screw in big monsters like Diablo.

Actually, all palettes were tested on Diablo, as he is big and noticing the color changes
was useful. Most descriptions on each palette should be accurate though.

Now that we have chosen the palette we want to use, we copy the Palshift.dat file into
our monster's 'COF' folder. If we imported a new monster with token '%D' for example, we
should go to "data\global\monsters\%D\cof". Just paste the palshift file there!

Now go to monstats and change the 'TransLvl' column to a number. Remember folders are named
like this: #. Color 1 - Color 2 - etc
Where color 1 equals to Translvl=0.

That's it! We have now our brand new color monster for the cost of 2 KB !

This brings a lot of fresh air to mods, so I highly recommend it. Is there a mod where a fallen is
green? Nope! You can replace some of the old monsters palshifts and this will make a big visual impact.

Note #1: you will see a few folders with the color "Wicked". This means this palette is mostly meant for
brown monsters (like goatman). I have only included these so that you can try them in monsters like
Diablo and get some weird results like Diablo having all veins marked.
Note #2: Not sure if it exists but I mention 'Aqua' color. If it's not obvious, this is the mix of blue and green.
Note #3: This is rather personal taste but I recommend it for all of you aesthetic caremen, to try to avoid
using colorshifts in states.exe. These not only look awful as hell but they also usually set monsters Translvl
to 0. Poison and Cold are the most frequent ones, I personally changed poison ugly green colorshift to a visual
overlay, same for cold.
Attachments
PALSHIFTS.rar
needed files
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Re: Tutorial: Changing monster colors

Post by Lurix » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 am

I've actually used this technique, a while ago, but I haven't been so deep in it.
So this thread is really helpful.. Bookmarked ;)

Necrolis
Site Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 am

there are actually two tools in the file center for this that let you create custom palshifts, Nefarius' Palshift analyser just converts the palette to an image, allowing you to easily change which colors shift and to what, this means you won't accidently shift stuff that shouldn't shift by copying other palettes.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

MarcoNecroX
Paladin

Post by MarcoNecroX » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 am

I tried using those tools but im on win7 and they didnt seem to work very well. So as i was really interested in this, found this method that does not only look awesome but also takes only kb from your patch :)

its a viable method, the palettes i chose for my pack have mostly 4-5 useable colors

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 am

Pauls method is much better imo
http://paul.siramy.free.fr/_divers2/tmptutcmap/
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

Necrolis
Site Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am

MarcoNecroX" wrote:I tried using those tools but im on win7 and they didnt seem to work very well. So as i was really interested in this, found this method that does not only look awesome but also takes only kb from your patch :)

its a viable method, the palettes i chose for my pack have mostly 4-5 useable colors
I haven't had any problems under win7, care to elaborate? also those tools create palshifts, so its the same size increase
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

MarcoNecroX
Paladin

Post by MarcoNecroX » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Black_Eternity" wrote:Pauls method is much better imo
http://paul.siramy.free.fr/_divers2/tmptutcmap/
o rly... Of course copying existing blizz palettes ist the "best" method but compared to reading so long guides it is deffinetly a lot more efficient, because at the point where you reach next paragraph on pauls tutorial you could have changed the colors of 20 monsters already with almost same results.

hence why i did a so long introduction in this thread. this method is for people that are not interested in getting into the palette format. That its not the professional way is rather obvious. But if you mix the factors: time+result i think this method beats any other. If you're willing to invest a lot more time for slightly better results ofc youre free too. I usually do that but here i had to go this way because i couldnt get familiar with tools.

@necrolis: hard to tell. Tried the program but all i could do was see the different indexes within a palette. When i saw the program didnt even have a close button and i had to terminate it everytime i got bored.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:25 pm

wtf...You dont need to understand the palette format at all?

I never read part 1 of Paul's document and have successfully created over 30 new palettes for my new monsters.
If you just read the tutorial....

But ofc you can do it half ass and just copy.
Or you can actually spend a little more time to get it exactly as needed.
As Necrolis stated so you don't accidentally shift colors that you were not intending to.

Just my two cents...
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

MarcoNecroX
Paladin

Post by MarcoNecroX » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm

You might have missed my point, and yeah I hate writing from my cellphone. My point is: this method is time efficient and results are very good. What is special in this method is that you don't need any tools you can simply grab a palette into a new monster, and I've collected the ones with the most color variations. Even blizzard has used same palettes on some tokens.

You link paul's tutorial where you DO get better results for a lot more time. Exactly what is written in this tutorial is the opposite, getting maybe not exactly what we want (but still similar) for a bunch less of times and requiring no programs at all.

sirbinh88

Post by sirbinh88 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:42 am

Does this only work on monsters?
I’m trying transforming my char to a monster using passive state but no matter how i change the Translvl, the color doesnt change. As you can see my char as Blood Raven doesnt have that white but human color skin.
The same is applied to Fallen. I always transform to the RED one.
How could I?

Return to “Multimedia”