change 1 of uniques monster texture

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

sonic
Paladin

change 1 of uniques monster texture

Post by sonic » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 pm

how hard would it be to only change the unique monster texture to the same but only larger
and only 1 of them, the main.

so only 1 unique monster in the group would have changed texture to a larger one.
if there is no easy way is there a way around it?

also i would like to place that in the "patch_D2.mpq"
where would the location be of a Quillrat (d2video.mpq?). and where would i have to place it in the patch_d2.mpq so it would use the one from Patch_d2.mpq instead of the other place.

Eimernase
Paladin

Re: change 1 of uniques monster texture

Post by Eimernase » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm

1.) D2 didnt use 3dmodels and textures (meshes) for it..its all in 2d and every animation have lots of singleframes.
2.) If you want to increase the size of any unit, the only way is to increase the animations self (max 90.000 pixel size)
3.) If you want only one in a group increase, they need a different token, otherwise all of the same would be also increase, because the token determines which animation they will use.

4.) the animations from the quillrat should be in d2data.mpq...look in monstats.txt to see which token they use and then search for this in d2data.mpq under data\global\monsters\xx (xx means the token)

sonic
Paladin

Post by sonic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 am

thanks a lot for that. I'll start now and post the results when its done

EDIT: i did a new monster and added a bigger Quilllrat (SixDice + DCxtools helped me with that)
had to edit D2AnimData.d2
and lots of other stuff cause i didn't had the knowledge to do it.
took me around 6 hours but at the end i was very satisfied ;D
now i will have some troubles with another mob which is all over the place in bits and pieces.
that is in a new topic and i am looking towards it. hope it will not be to hard x)

i made 1 of those bigger ones spawn 2-3 quillrats and its fantastic. may be one day i will release the mod on here
if its possible. but i am still far away from what i would like to achieve.
thanks as well for help and in case "EDIT: KINGPIN" reads it thanks a lot for your replies. :mrgreen:
Last edited by sonic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:00 am

1.) D2 didnt use 3dmodels and textures (meshes) for it..its all in 2d and every animation have lots of singleframes.
Actually all animations is originally made in 3d Studio (A friend made several custom animations for me for my mod that's made in 3d studio too). They just converted to sprite format. In alpha they had even a 3d engine in the game before they went back to Diablo 1 style on the engine.

So, if anyone is good in 3d studio they can make their own custom animations too. It's just that we don't have access to the original animations Blizzard made, instead we only have access to the sprites. Each animation is either singleframes or multiframes (i.e each part on body is split into multiple animations for different weapons, armor types).

Eimernase
Paladin

Post by Eimernase » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Of course, make an D2-animation only in 2D would be a bit strange...the 1st step was a 3Dmodel.

Btw..there are lots of other games (Civ3 or Atlantica Online as example) they have very good animations and can be convert too into sprites to use them in D2. ;)

Return to “Multimedia”