Sorceress: 'nuff said.

Information and updates for the Fusion series of mods. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.
Fireheart

Sorceress: 'nuff said.

Post by Fireheart » Sat May 10, 2003 7:50 pm

This is a post for all suggestions dealing with and about Sorceress--any insights, ideas, or thoughts on what changes might work well for the Sorc based on your experience are welcome. New skill ideas? Tweaks? Tell us what's not working.
Last edited by Fireheart on Sat May 10, 2003 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Re: Sorceress: 'nuff said.

Post by Desocupado » Tue May 20, 2003 3:50 am

The biggest problem of the sorceress is the lack of versatility.
Some skills are 100% better than others. I believe they should differ in nature. For exemple i once edited chain lightning to be much slower than lightning. And i gave it lots of hits to keep the balance. (actually i reduced the damage and gave it 5 hits and extra 2.5 per level if my memory doesn't fails me).
Look at the trees and make the upper skills very different from the bottom ones.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed May 21, 2003 4:10 am

One tip, If you make +skills easy to come by then nerf charged bolt because that gets absolutly rediculous at really high levels. Also, I'd say improve inferno's damage to be at least equal with firewall probably even more. Why you say? Because you dont have to sit there and keep casting for firewall to keep working.

Horazon

Post by Horazon » Mon May 26, 2003 6:38 pm

Maybe you can change staves to be treated as shield-class items instead of weapons. That way a rare staff might actually have something useful (e.g. resistances) instead of melee mods, and the runes, gems, etc. would be useful as well. And there would be some defense and a chance to block % (ok useless with the new blcok system, heh.)

No spell timers please, oh please...

Mana costs for the lightening tree skills in the Cold Fusion mod were waaaay too high, even after LM level 5 or so. Most of the lightening tree skills were not even all that good to justify a high cost. (Fire and Cold were ok.)

Sorc is a hard character to balance correctly. In CF normal was good, but then would become a cakewalk in NM for a well-planned sorc. However, Hell mode was really hard because most spells were just not very effective, but I just found it frustrating overall, and it encouraged a style of "get it over with" play - I would teleport around and just get quest items and take out the act bosses, so that I could get to the chaos sanctuary ASAP.

Oh, and fix TK again. (blizz nerfed it so that you can't TK anything except potions and gold and keys and scrolls.)

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:19 am

If TK is fixable it'll probably only be fixable in 1.10--things like that Blizz usually hard-codes. Interesting what you say about the CF Sorc. It sounds like you are saying that her high-level skills didn't scale well enough to keep her powered against the monsters? That's not very hard to fix.

Also what're your thoughts on the skill rearrangements we did in her tree?

Horazon

Post by Horazon » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:46 am

The new sorc skills were really good (I played with Frostbite and Volcano.)

However, volcano was a bit problematic in that it is too similiar to Meteor. (lots of fire damage in a smallish area of effect) Because volcano could do more damage over time and there was no delay (meteors take a while to land), it did make the meteor skill a bit redundant (IMO)

Of course the Druid volcano has a better graphic :D

Since the Druid has usurped two of the CF sorcie's skills you also won't have unique skills for each class, if the new sorc gets to keep frostbite & volcano.

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:47 pm

Horazon,

I'll never claim Blizzard copied us (I have no proof of it) but it is true that we released Cold Fusion before they released DII LOD or announced the Druid's skills--and Bill Roper was aware of CF's release since I coresponded with him multiple times during its development.

Doesn't mean they used our skills---could just be parallel development--but considering just how much Arctic Blast looks like Frostbite.....

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:18 pm

hehe once again sorcs will probly jsut be played by 1 skil thats jsut a little bit better then the other (yes jsut like nova in lod or cb in tfw) sorcs will be the hardest 2 balance becase liek 80% of players jsut play sorcs or make sorcs suck that would be nice for a change :P

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:09 am

The goal is to rebalance classes for better play, but never to make one suck just for the sake of doing so. Sorc's in CF had a bit of a balance problem when it came to cold spells, but we're gonna fix that this time around.

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:58 pm

i dont think u cna reach balance on sorcs or zons there just 2 ez spells are always over powered i mean in reality with the original spells in d2 in relaity i would be sitting there for hours tryin 2 kill things GO BLIZZARD!
or zons SHOOT ,RUN repeat dumb no skill u dont even have 2 place ur stats carfuly

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:24 pm

Of course you can balance Sorc's. Its all a matter of mathematics--and believe me, we've done it. Like I said, the CF Sorc was a little tilted in terms of cold, but part of that is because cold has additional properties fire and lightning don't.

ANYTHING can be balanced--it just takes innovation and some fine-tuning.

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:57 pm

hmmmmm well i salute u if u can do it i still will take any bets that sorcs will be the most played class

Return to “Tactics Central”