My personal bin file boo boo

This would be the forum for questions about how to work with mod making tools which can be a problem of its own.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

Brokklu

My personal bin file boo boo

Post by Brokklu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:08 am

Hi there everyone!

I'm an ex d2 Modder who had made my own personal mod in my old days which i shared around with my friends. I had taken the precaution to only leave bin files in my patch back then whilst distributing my mod. Eventually I had lost interest in the game and lost my own txt files!!! Recently though a lot of my friends have been asking me to continue the mod however as you can imagine now I'm stuck with only my bin files.

I was wondering with all the wisdom gathered throughout the past several years has anyone made a tool to convert bins back to txt again. I imagine this would be off limits for a lot of noobs so to show my genuinity I would happily mail my mod to anyone willing to convert it back for me.

regards

Fellow Modder

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: My personal bin file boo boo

Post by kingpin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:13 am

Sorry there is no tool to convert bin to txt. We don't even support anyone to try do this aswell. It's complex enough so very few would even be close to accomplish this and those who have the knowledge wouldn't do this.

Best, you can do is start all over again.

Brokklu

Post by Brokklu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:42 am

:cool:

Well as they say- It never hurts to ask. Thanks for your speedy reply Kingpin it's nice to see dedicated modders still helping out noobs :)

At least I won't be wasting my time trying to accomplish the impossible. It's bound to be easier this time roudn having gained the experience.

Final question - I know this is kind of off topic and all :mrgreen:

Would you suggest I mod 1.10 again or upgrade to 1.11b this time?
(I'm simply asking cuz I heard some rumours of various bugs in the latter version. - but they were only rumours mind you!)

Doabli
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Doabli » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:47 am

Either is fine. AFAIK The only big difference is the code system ; you can use D2mod for 1.10 and Nefex for 1.11 . Check that forum for some plugins.
Stay away from ballet dancers with an attitude .

Brokklu

Post by Brokklu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:52 am

So I guess the rumours about 1.11b aren't true then...

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure to be needing Nefex then.

happy modding :)
Last edited by Brokklu on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:26 am

[quote=Doabli";p="370260"]Either is fine. AFAIK The only big difference is the code system ; you can use D2mod for 1.10 and Nefex for 1.11 . Check that forum for some plugins.[/quote]

The difference is that the clean *.txt files in the patch_d2.mpq cannot be used because they are full of blizzard-mess. But who needs those when I released clean-clean versions of them :P, code-wise v1.11b is more optimized and contains less inherited bugs then v1.10 because several have been fixed. Some txt file limits such as for lvlprest have been removed (also the superficial limit on monster chain length has been removed and is now 255 rather then 16-32). There are no textual errors though, probably because their old VC6 macro didn't work on VC2003.
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:46 am

Some txt file limits such as for lvlprest
This limit was already removed in 1.10 :)

It was in 1.09 we was needed to extend the limit for this file.

Brokklu

Post by Brokklu » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:57 am

Yes Nefarius infact I had downloaded your fixed 1.11b files quite some time ago before I had lost interest in modding D2. I'm sure they will come in handy now.

I never released my 1.10mod on the keep cuz I didn't think it would score a 1/10 next to other mods i've seen. I like to keep things as close to the original as possible making a few minor but cool changes. eg. Torches - Fire&Ltng res potions, herb=bloodlust effect,couple of cubemain recipes etc nothing that special. I used plug-y 7.01, merc mod and d2mod also which is kind of like cheating in my opinion. If you've got time to burn and would like to try it out just explain how to send it to you.

p.s. sorry if this thread kind of went out of subject :)

regards,

resurrected modder ;)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:45 am

I never released my 1.10mod on the keep cuz I didn't think it would score a 1/10 next to other mods i've seen. I like to keep things as close to the original as possible making a few minor but cool changes. eg. Torches - Fire&Ltng res potions, herb=bloodlust effect,couple of cubemain recipes etc nothing that special. I used plug-y 7.01, merc mod and d2mod also which is kind of like cheating in my opinion. If you've got time to burn and would like to try it out just explain how to send it to you.
Don't worry. Modding is not about make the next big mod :)

Instead it's all about have fun and maybe someone enjoy your work in the end. As, long as you have fun work on it. That will be rewared enough in the end.

Brokklu

Post by Brokklu » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:12 am

It's awesome to return to a site 15 plus years later and read what you posted. If you do ever return here Kingpin and Nefarius a big thanks for all that support. The mod I made 17 years ago still works fine and I never did change it. Like you said I moved on to other games other mods but I have never dedicated so much time to any game than this one and never will again.

Hope you're still around to see this post guys. :)

Return to “Tools”