D2DX: New Diablo 2 Glide-wrapper

This would be the forum for questions about how to work with mod making tools which can be a problem of its own.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

bolrog
Sweden

D2DX: New Diablo 2 Glide-wrapper

Post by bolrog » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 pm

First release of D2DX, my DirectX 11 based Glide wrapper specifically for Diablo 2. Created because the other Glide wrappers out there are clunky to set up and have too many quirks...

Grateful for any feedback, bugs etc you have to report.

GitHub page: https://github.com/bolrog/d2dx/

Edit: Project renamed, and further updates will be posted on GitHub mainly.
Last edited by bolrog on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eleriaqueen
France

Re: D2GX: New Diablo 2 Glide-wrapper

Post by eleriaqueen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:24 am

Hello, first of all thanks for sharing your wrapper !
I tested with 1.13d with -gx1080 argument and there seem to be issues.
- Image seem cropped (it would probably be better to integer upscale to 2x or 3x and then downscale to 1080p without crop, possibly with a SharpBilinear algorithm, I tested this with CNC DDraw and even though technically 1080p is a non-integer scale from 800x600 results are great)
- Map isn't showing my character's position, map markers don't seem to appear.
- Text either isn't upscaled correctly or the few stray black pixels on Title Screen buttons gives that impression
- When going back from game to title screen there is a black horizontal bar that appeared and stayed.
- 640x480 is broken, it seems the wrapper tries to display as far as 800x600 but fails, displaying black cells around the play area
- Resolution seems to switch two times before settleing with 1080p
- Requires installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redist for MSVCP100.dll and the like

bolrog
Sweden

Post by bolrog » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks for the comments! I fixed several of these issues (see 0.9.210323 on the releases page) and will create new issues for the others.

You're right that 640x480 mode isn't currently supported, and I'm debating with myself whether it's needed. Do some players prefer it over 800x600?

I'll be polishing it more as time goes on, and try to improve on the base game experience. For instance with the 1.13c support added in the last release I fixed various startup glitches, to the point where it's at least similar to 1.14d now.

I wasn't aware the redist was needed. I'd like to avoid that and will look into it.

eleriaqueen
France

Post by eleriaqueen » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 am

Nice, you fixed a lot of issues already. I did a quick test on a low level paladin, whacked a few mobs, interacted with the stash, NPCs and stuff.
I have to say I kind of understand the appeal of your tweaked 1080p mode though I have reserve(s) I'll touch upon later, picture is ultra sharp (doing integer upscale then cropping and moving some HUD elements like enemy health bars... etc is clever!).
About the tweaked mode, it seems like it's tailored for running "vanilla" LOD, while it's true that it's essentially a toggle it still seems out of the scope of a wrapper's job to offset UI elements (?).

About 640x480, I think it's a question of inclusivity and overall "completeness" of a wrapper to support it, but I don't think it should be a priority.

kain_abel_666
Canada

Post by kain_abel_666 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:18 am

Is there any way to get this working through d2se? I had issue while trying to boot in Glide with this version. It would be nice if we could make a command line check box within d2se so that when you select glide your 3dfx and 1080 modes were selectable right from there.
I've stayed quite a while and heard what you have to say. Now it is time for the real Kain to emerge.

eleriaqueen
France

Post by eleriaqueen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:03 am

Hi again bolrog. I just tested Median XL mod with your wrapper and aside from an issue where in windowed and fullscreen mode I don't see the full game picture (mod uses a 1024x768 resolution might be why) it seems to work fine !

Texalic
Paladin

Post by Texalic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:55 am

Wow, this is now name confusing since sth with very similar name is in development for some time.

Unluckily I can't test it since my gpu only supports directx 10.

But there is good amount of players still on older version of windows, and with gpus that supports directx 9.

But I guess that if you want improvements that is how it is :( :mrgreen:

Well done :leftthumb:

bolrog
Sweden

Post by bolrog » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am

Texalic wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:55 am
Unluckily I can't test it since my gpu only supports directx 10.
Actually if you have DirectX 11 installed and running Windows 7 and up, it should still only require a DX 10 level card.
I'd love to get feedback on how it runs on older cards.

bolrog
Sweden

Post by bolrog » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:57 am

eleriaqueen wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:03 am
Hi again bolrog. I just tested Median XL mod with your wrapper and aside from an issue where in windowed and fullscreen mode I don't see the full game picture (mod uses a 1024x768 resolution might be why) it seems to work fine !
Interesting, thanks. I'll try this too, I can hopefully add support quite easily.

Texalic
Paladin

Post by Texalic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:57 pm

I see, will test it as soon as I get home, I have W10 tough gpu is 10 y old.

Also, a little advice, always edit your post, especially if it is the latest post, since no multiple posts is allowed as I know.

But when you edit your latest post forum will recognize it and let us know that there is an update to your post, so don't worry if you think it will go unnoticed. :P

I will test on my side with 1.10f, 1.13c, and with 1.14, plus with various mods I have to see how it behaves.

Hope my gpu will work :mrgreen:

Edited: Nope, this is what I get and that is it.

Last edited by Texalic on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eleriaqueen
France

Post by eleriaqueen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:54 pm

Oh forgot to mention the version of MedianXL I tested was SIGMA which is the latest iteration, I updated the mod through it's launcher then deleted sven's wrapper from game directory, put D2GX in it, and ran game from DiabloII.exe with -3dfx command to be sure it used D2GX.

Scrangos
Puerto Rico

Post by Scrangos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:16 pm

Seems to work with nezeramontias on a 1.10 install, also works with the latest plugy. I've only made a char and loaded in though. Not sure how to use with d2se, i dont see a way to add custom command line arguments.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:04 pm

Always good to see new projects but is there a reason you chose a name that so similar to my project?

EDIT: Maybe let me rephrase that since its unreasonable to assume anything.

Your name extremely close to a project I have been working on for a few years now, one that lies in pretty much the same view of what it does (though mine is at a much grander scope). I'd really like to avoid this name overlapping situation...
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

bolrog
Sweden

Post by bolrog » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:42 am

Necrolis wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:04 pm
Always good to see new projects but is there a reason you chose a name that so similar to my project?
I honestly hadn't seen your project before choosing a name. I played D2 back in the day, and just recently returned to try it again. Being frustrated by the clunky wrappers available, I decided on doing this as a side project.

Your D2GFEx looks great, and properly removes the need for things like Glide wrappers while lifting all the restrictions at the same time. As such I don't see it as "competition", I'm more aiming at beating the existing Glide wrappers...

The name clash is most unfortunate... it was originally GEx (!) for "graphics extension", but I thought calling it "gex" sounded reptilian and silly. That would have been even more similar. As I'm the latecomer, I'll have to figure out a new name. Maybe "D2GlideX"?

Texalic
Paladin

Post by Texalic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:53 am

@bolrog

I've edited my post above, just in case you didn't see it.

About the name.

I think that you don't need D2 in it, just GlideX would be enough imo, that X suggest that it is not a default version of glide (that is better than glide itself.) and it is easy to remember, simple name. :P

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:21 am

bolrog wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:42 am
Your D2GFEx looks great, and properly removes the need for things like Glide wrappers while lifting all the restrictions at the same time. As such I don't see it as "competition", I'm more aiming at beating the existing Glide wrappers...
I am sure many would appreciate a more modern replacement for Svens wrapper, especially since the alternative - CNC-DDraw - doesn't have colored lighting which really kills ambiance even though it gives the post processing shaders in return; plus some of the Win10 issues are now catching quite a few users.
bolrog wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:42 am
The name clash is most unfortunate... it was originally GEx (!) for "graphics extension", but I thought calling it "gex" sounded reptilian and silly. That would have been even more similar. As I'm the latecomer, I'll have to figure out a new name. Maybe "D2GlideX"?
I literally named mine as a play on D2GFX.dll (the dll I was originally replacing) and Graphics Extended as well :D But I appreciate the fact that you are willing to change the project name, GlideX or even GlideDX seem good.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

bolrog
Sweden

Post by bolrog » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:50 pm

I'm thinking of "d2dx", as it's a smaller change and describes the project nicely (Diablo 2 rendered with DirectX). It also fixes the name clash I think, so if you're fine with that, I'll go for it.

Edit: The rename is complete, and I've just added support for MedianXL and its 1024x768 mode in the 0.99.329b version.

eleriaqueen
France

Re: D2DX: New Diablo 2 Glide-wrapper

Post by eleriaqueen » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:12 am

I can confirm 1.13d 640x480 (with and without perspective shift) works, thanks for updating the wrapper with increased support and features !

HelloIcy

Post by HelloIcy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:56 pm

Hello, and thank you for your effort.
My objection is that it should be allowed to use compatibility mode.
I have got the usual c0000005 error message. Yes, this message is annoying because it takes time to come up and with your wrapper no mouse cursor can be seen on that message, so I cannot use mouse to OK down it.
I have another objection and that is I think you are right this is faster than the other glide and this does not do the little bracket thing on the bottom.
I only play this with Median Sigma, so I cannot say anything about perspective view.

Ognyan
Bulgaria

Post by Ognyan » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:20 pm

I hope u still work on that project! I recently tried it and i was amazed , got some ideas ,i have PMed you

Shinwa
France

Post by Shinwa » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:01 pm

Hello,

https://github.com/Jarcho/d2dx (forked from bolrog/d2dx)

Complete solution to make Diablo II run well on modern PCs, with high fps and better resolutions.

Return to “Tools”