I know I said the move would take longer, but thanks to the quick actions from Gamespy support, I was able to transfer, import and convert the database a lot faster than what I thought, so here we go!
This is the new home of the Phrozen Keep. The http://www.d2mods.com and http://www.d3mods.org domains already point to this new location, so no one should have problems finding this new place (let's not forget Google, too). Many thanks to Alex "Raptor" Dobie (PlanetRaptoR on this forum), site director of Planet Unreal and owner of the Huge Laser gaming community, for providing the host and all the assistance needed so I could move the site as painlessly as possible. I'd also like to thank Joe "Acolyte" Silvagni, site director of Planet Diablo, for all the support over the years and his assistance with the search of a new host for the site. He knows he's always welcome here and Planet Diablo remains one of our partner sites.
This said, time to move on to the topic in question, namely "what has changed". The site is running on a heavily-customized PhpBB3 platform, integrated with the MKPortal CMS. Here is a brief list of the new features of the site, as well as a list of the features we lost (in no particular order).
- You've already noticed that the site looks different, yet close enough to the previous one, so you shouldn't have any problems finding your way inside it
- The left and right navigation menus can be toggled on/off using the arrow buttons on the top of each page (right menu is toggled off by default while viewing the forum)
- Integrated Google search on the left navigation menu for quick access
- Activity report in the forum index page - features new posts, new topics and new users in the last 24 hours
- Nice and easy way to view images in the gallery without leaving the page you're currently on
- Modding resource sites are now integrated inside the portal - follow the links in the Modding Resource block on the left navigation menu to access them
- All mod forums now share the same category - since the Phrozen Keep no longer hosts mod sites, there is no point in splitting them into hosted and non-hosted
- The Non-Hosted Mods forum has been renamed to the Sandbox and will be used for projects in the beginning stages of development, which isn't that different from its previous use
- A monthly (or so) poll will be provided and accessible from the right navigation menu - including a new Polls forum where you can share your opinion. Guests are allowed to vote in the polls
- You're now allowed to use up to 3 images in each of your posts
- You're now allowed to use 1 image (400x150 pixels max size) in your signature
- Edited posts will not only be marked unread for everyone, but also considered new posts and will show in the New Posts section of the forum
- A new, more functional Quick Reply box - for example, you can quote the name of the author of a post by simply clicking on it
- The ability to create Private Message folders and apply filters to incoming messages
- The ability to search the Knowledge Base, as well as the Image Gallery - check the Search block on the left navigation menu
- Send images from the site to your friends as e-cards
- Many other minor tweaks and cosmetic changes that you'll notice with time
- Your birthday/age has not been transferred from the old site - please, re-enter the data in your profile
- Your gender has not been transferred from the old site - please, re-enter the data in your profile
- Your bookmarks have not been transferred from the old site - please, re-enter the data in your profile
- Your personal gallery has not been transferred from the old site and the feature isn't available on the new one (you have been warned about this)
- Your profile photo has not been transferred from the old site and the feature isn't available on the new one
- You need to update all internal links in your signatures - they're all broken
- Downloads - Volf's File Center is still in service, but I'm working on an integrated Download Database (no File Planet, woo-hoo!). I can't set any deadline on this though, so for now, we'll continue using File Planet
- Image titles, descriptions and comments have not been transferred
- Past screenshots of the week have not been transferred - links would have been broken anyway
- Despite all my efforts, all old links to articles in the Knowledge Base are broken - the addresses are too different. Links to threads are alright though.
If you have any problems, or you notice something that doesn't feel right, if you can't access a forum you previously could access, or you spot a bug in the site, the Feedback forum is at your service. You can always send me a PM, too.
Note to all modmakers who wish to have their mod site linked on our navigation menu on the left: since the Phrozen Keep is no longer providing hosting for mod sites, all linked sites must link back to the Phrozen Keep in order to be added to the menu. You can use a simple text link or one of our banners. I have linked all active mod sites I could find (that don't violate our terms of service) for now, but those who don't link back to the Phrozen Keep will be removed after one week and won't be added back until they place a link on their site.
I think now is the appropriate time to conclude this long post with a screenshot of the week You've noticed that the new site features an angel (arguably Tyrael) in the header. This is a nod to the first incarnation of the Phrozen Keep, all the way back in 2000, which also featured Tyrael in the top spot. Yes, we're still alive after all this time!