Welcome everyone to the first new Keep news post in a very long time! Thankfully it won't take as long for the next news post. We have some very exciting things planned for the Keep in the coming months, and we look forward to sharing them with you guys as they are ready.
First thing is first, you might have noticed the site looks a tad newer! This is because Volf has completely redone the Keep from the ground up! Working tirelessly over the past few weeks, Volf has redone the forums, the File Center and the Knowledge Base. From All the Staff and Users of the Keep, I would like to extend a massive "Thank You" to Volf for all his continued work and effort on the Keep for its hosting and always being there to keep it running!
With there being a totally new platform for the Keep, we have some really cool new features for everyone, and are planning to add more. Some of the current new bells and whistles include:
- Performance! The Keep is now running a lot faster than it used to, with fewer timeout and posting errors.
- Flairs & Badges: Ogodei was the first keeper to earn a Tutor badge. We will be awarding this badge to users that contribute back to the community through posts and tutorials. There will be more badges coming in future! Some may have also noticed the "Forum Regular" user group too, which we have a few plans for, there is also a badge for mod makers to award their most loyal players.
- A new quick-post function.
- Quick user-referencing and post quoting.
- Responsive design for mobile and tablet.
- Quote notifications.
- Embedable Google Docs, perfect for inlining txt files.
- New image upload feature, no more awful third-party hosts.
- Inlined images & embedable videos.
- New video & image gallery.
- New and improved knowledge base and File Center.
- And many, many, many more, so be sure to explore, and find out more here.
Back To The Future
As I mentioned, we want to improve the Keep for all out users, this means getting it more friendly, more active and most importantly positively growing our community. We are planning to host forums for more than just D2 modding in future, but we want to hear from you, our loyal members, what you'd like to see.
There have been a few minor staff changes at the Keep recently. We have retired many inactive Admin and Moderators, until they make their return of course. Volf is now the new senior Admin of the Keep and Necrolis has been promoted to Admin. You can check out our staff list here. make sure to also check out the revamped Hall of Valor. If you think there is someone missing from the HoV, let us know!
The Solstice of our Discord
The Phrozen Keep recently got a Discord server hosted by Black_Eternity, its a wonderful way to interact with the Keeps members in a bit of a more relaxed environment. If you'd like to join the Discord, please follow the Invite Link. The Discord server is a lot busier than our old Unofficial IRC channel, but offers a lot more features IRC never did; such as multiple channels, historical logs and easy formatting.
Upgrade, Update, Upsize!
- Dark Alliance Has recieved several updates to both the mod and the team, read more about the latest version from kingpin here.
- Eastern Sun and Eastern Sun Rises again! Perfect Cell returned to pass on the mantle of ES modder to AlphA - The Real One, who is hard at work on a new ES patch; check out the current ES Rises patch notes here or more on the future of ES Rises here.
- We have a few off-site mods that have also been release or received new updates, check them out: Black_Eternity has released a set of game asset rips: D3:ROS, D3:RotN, Grim Dawn, Dark Souls, Sacred and Primus Online. You can access them here till they are mirrored in the Keep's File Center.
- Ogodei has release a few Diablo I themed plugins: cla$$ics has release a few packs himself leekun release quite a for asset rip packs as well:
- Baldur's Gate Spell Anims
- Icewind Dale Spell Anims
- Icewind Dale Spell Icons
- Planescape Torment Spell Anims
- Planescape Torment Spell Icons
- Inertias has reelased an animation pack for monsters and summons, available here.
- An anonymous user released the AoW2: The Wizard's Throne Sprite and Audio Rip for the Keeps users, available here.
- Eimernase released some stock material from creating new skill animations, available here.
- mirecek released some interesting tilesets available here.
- Lurix has release a plugin for the D1 Anniversary UI from Diablo 3, available here.
- User cla$$ics is working on a new open-source, fully compatible engine replacement for D2 called OpenD2. find out more about it on GitHub.
Got a file to submit to the File Center? PM Necrolis to get it upload and hosted!
Breaking the Wall!
Whenever our users create new tutorials or discover a new break-through, we want to give them the credit the deserve. Soon we will be porting many of these tutorials to the KB, and making it easy for users to submit new tutorials and files!.
- jetaman has made an amazing break-through on how wall transparency is handled in D2, read more about it here.
- Ogodei has created four posts on the ShadowMaster and Pet AI's, allowing for all sorts of shenanigans. Read them here, here and here as well as a micro-compendium of the ShadowMaster AI here.
Modding Topics of the Week
The Keep is all about Diablo II modding at its core, as such, we shall now be promoting intersting modding topics or questions that arise each week! For the first post, we have an array of intersting threads from the recent past that may twiddle your modding bone! This weeke is rather animation themed.
- Questions about animation structure
- Making it so dodge/avoid/evade doesn't break skills
- Applying d2 palette
- And finally some pet tutorials, because who doesn't love new minions:
- [1.10] Reviving every possible monster, including uniques
[1.10f Tutorial] Make Minions with non-minions AI[Completed]
Shadow Master's AI - AItype 7
[1.10] Fixing Shadow Master's AI
[1.10] Shadow Master's and Revived AI Addon : Orders
Not everyone that visits the Keep is a modder, many are players of both the classic game and/or the multitude of mods that can be found in our File Center. We want to show case the intersting discussions that happen around the game, cool screenshots and awesome videos made by both our modders and users. If you would like to submit any mod reviews, please contact one of the admins. For this week, we are going to showcase two interesting threads, one of which is full of eye-candy! Content, Content, Content
At the Keep, we enjoy the awesome Diablo content put out by members of the world-wide Diablo community, this week we are showcasing Rhykker's YouTube Channel, which includes a lot of Blizzard and Diablo 3 content, but of interest to our D2 modding community he has a multi-part interview with David Brevik and a new series on the lore of the Diablo universe. Check out his latest lore video, part 3 in the series, on the Prime Evils.
Many thanks to Ogodei for helping me with links this week. If you have news, screenshots, videos or even an interesting link to submit for the news, let one of the admins know via PM or on Discord. Have your own news that you want to post? Can't want till the next PK News post? Then have a look at the new Members Area!
Thats all for this week!