Median

Information and updates for all mods by Brother Laz.
kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Median

Post by kingpin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:23 pm

I specially like the part you have done to the economy. This will hopefully bring money to a more important level ;)

Good screenshots also, with really interesting abilities.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:47 pm

I do agree that a reworked economy is necessary, glad to see you're working on it. For the healing potions, do they heal a fixed percentage, or a random percentage?

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:05 pm

fixed percentage quite for sure... unless he knows how to make them heal a random percentage.. in which case he may tell us how that is done, cause i think its not possible without CE :).

LordTemjin
Paladin

Post by LordTemjin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:19 am

JESUS...too bad I can't find my cd-key... oh well the mods 48% done, I hope i can find it before then :\

wow turning in to izual, casting stuff on the death of an enemy...holy {filtered} man, mad props to you.
<juice> Invalid Syntax Error?
<juice> usually the syntax errors I get are Valid.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:39 pm

Making a lot of progress. :D Which should compensate for the fact that I likely won't do a thing in the next three days. :( Anyway, I'm about to get started on the monsters. After that, it's pretty much done. :D

Give me ten more days and then a week or two for balance testing, k? :)
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:16 pm

Wow! Sounds good. Good luck Laz! Can't wait to play this mod.
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:52 pm

Some of the new monsters [am replacing all existing monsters :) not with new looks, but new AI, skills, faster movement so that you can't just run away and leave them all behind, etc. ]:

Succubi: new AI pattern, instead of following the char and lining up in a neat row ripe for lightning wall they fly in circles and attack [rapidly] from all sides at once. They also use the new rainbow bloodstar. The old breeds are back, including the [in Hell] spell immune Soul Burner.

Bats: not exactly high end monsters, but they do have their D1 traits back: Blinks teleport randomly when struck, Glooms have a charge attack, and Familiars [my fave monster] have a charged strike attack. I know in D1 it was just a lightning hit but this is the 21st century so they have an actual charged bolt attack.

Acid dogs: these are dangerous because they can shoot while running. Heh. The lower grades just use simple poison spit and the very low grade ones stop spitting when hurt and try to melee instead, but the highest grade [Lava Maws] spit nasty fireballs instead of poison. :)

Undead lawyers: the bony versions of the D1 mages, they have the same spells, firebolt, charged bolt, lightning or fireball. They also cast flash at melee range, and teleport around. Of course, the Ghost of Lazarus is out there somewhere too. :)
Median XL released!

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:05 am

Please bring back the old succubi graphics, please!
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:16 pm

No. I'd have to convert all monsters then, which costs way too much time.

Balrogs: I'm trying to promote defense rating by making certain monsters add elemental effects on striking. These ones cast immolation when they hit, making it a bit hard to tank them with low defense and high life as usual in CLoD. They don't use inferno anymore either.

Skeletons, zombies: sort of annoying monsters, they just have to be in the mod but are very hard to change in a meaningful way. Anyway, burning dead and horror skeletons respectively burst in flames and release charged bolts when they die, and ghost zombies release Hunting Banshee on death, and of course they have new [more] resistances, damage and immunities. That's it, boo. :(
Median XL released!

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:10 pm

Brother Laz";p="125172" wrote: No. I'd have to convert all monsters then, which costs way too much time.
I guess you have a point there.
Brother Laz";p="125172" wrote: Balrogs: I'm trying to promote defense rating by making certain monsters add elemental effects on striking. These ones cast immolation when they hit, making it a bit hard to tank them with low defense and high life as usual in CLoD. They don't use inferno anymore either.
Brother Laz";p="125030" wrote: Some of the new monsters [am replacing all existing monsters :) not with new looks, but new AI, skills, faster movement so that you can't just run away and leave them all behind, etc. ]:

Succubi: new AI pattern, instead of following the char and lining up in a neat row ripe for lightning wall they fly in circles and attack [rapidly] from all sides at once. They also use the new rainbow bloodstar. The old breeds are back, including the [in Hell] spell immune Soul Burner.

Bats: not exactly high end monsters, but they do have their D1 traits back: Blinks teleport randomly when struck, Glooms have a charge attack, and Familiars [my fave monster] have a charged strike attack. I know in D1 it was just a lightning hit but this is the 21st century so they have an actual charged bolt attack.

Acid dogs: these are dangerous because they can shoot while running. Heh. The lower grades just use simple poison spit and the very low grade ones stop spitting when hurt and try to melee instead, but the highest grade [Lava Maws] spit nasty fireballs instead of poison. :)

Undead lawyers: the bony versions of the D1 mages, they have the same spells, firebolt, charged bolt, lightning or fireball. They also cast flash at melee range, and teleport around. Of course, the Ghost of Lazarus is out there somewhere too. :)
Seeing as how you're doing alot with the cool monsters, and the boring "Kill Me Plz" beasts that seem to be the game's main inhabitants, I can't wait to see what you do with those "Death Maulers" in act V.
Last edited by Rattlecage on Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:04 pm

Brother Laz";p="125172" wrote:No. I'd have to convert all monsters then, which costs way too much time.

Skeletons, zombies: sort of annoying monsters, they just have to be in the mod but are very hard to change in a meaningful way. Anyway, burning dead and horror skeletons respectively burst in flames and release charged bolts when they die.
you always can make them like in D&D where they are totally immune to Poison have a high regeneration or the selfressurect from the decayed hordes (if they lack of sequence for that skill you can read the tutorial Kingping posted on the GMM forum about monster sequences)

charged bolts on death maybe not a good thing for a burning skeleton...

mmm why you don't make a missile skill that applies the state burn when they die that would make them a little more dangerous, after that they are called burning dead for something ;) :twisted:
and ghost zombies release Hunting Banshee on death, and of course they have new [more] resistances, damage and immunities. That's it, boo. :(
Zombies, Mummies and other high level undeads used to give bad status to the character when they hit you, as example the Zombies gives you a disease while Mummies used to Curse you (you always can make a new skill as curse and add it as chance to cast skill on an equipment the mummie has)

Ghosts used to have a very scary touch, maybe give them cold or Freezing touch (low damage but chills you) and cast decrepitation or other evil curse you can think of :twisted:

Remember that now you can make them very dangerous monsters, and with the new tutorial on monseq you can add other monsters the leap skill from the sandleaper or the Ancient Leap Attack so there is more variation.

good luck with your mod, it seems a very good one and I hope you will enjoy the most you can :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:16 am

Vendanna";p="125208" wrote:
Brother Laz";p="125172" wrote:No. I'd have to convert all monsters then, which costs way too much time.

Skeletons, zombies: sort of annoying monsters, they just have to be in the mod but are very hard to change in a meaningful way. Anyway, burning dead and horror skeletons respectively burst in flames and release charged bolts when they die.
charged bolts on death maybe not a good thing for a burning skeleton...

He meant that Burning Dead would burst into flames, and Horrors would release charged bolts on death.

Brother Laz" wrote:...burning dead [would] burst in flames...when they die.
Better get out the marshmallows and hot dogs!

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:57 pm

wops :oops:

probably I missed a few words on the Brother Laz Post.

of course I think at least is possible to give burning skeletons burn damage, it would be funny to see how they actually becomes the most dangerous enemy for skeletons...

hmm skeleton army forces... hmmm nice Idea I think I will try to use it in maybe other mod.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:05 pm

Median XL released!

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:24 pm

omg. the possibilities seem to be endless....
seems like i have to look at that a bit, too..... and do some monster modding for my mod ;). but... later.

looks great!

HashCasper

Post by HashCasper » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:00 am

:sick: THAT :sick: IS :sick: SICK :sick:

:oops: orgasm :oops:

That's awesome man. Hey how about some more item screenshots man.
/me bows to thee
"We have a point to work to, to make our nation huge; make our home stretch around the world, increase our army too. We must take over the world, make it our own, the Earth we must control, so you can't F#CK it anymore." --Mathew Chalk--

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:36 am

I know a few tricks. You are a mod maker! Those are great screenies, and great ideas behind them. And the Acid Prince has me howling with laughter!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

DavidB111
Paladin

Post by DavidB111 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:43 am

Good work my Brother. Good work indeed. :) I look forward to this. Is there going to be a beta test? I would hope so. Nothing is bug free. :)

LEt me know if I can be in line. I betaed Demon Trip 1. So, you've done a lot of things over the years, and you get better, like a fine wine apparently. Anyway, I wish you good work. Otherwise, I might have to visit you. WAHAHAHA.

Remember, no instant death skills for monsters. <Slaps Brother Laz before he puts them in>

David/DavidisGod (On off-topic forums, for everyone else to know. )

"I can't wait until I get my claws on you."
"I am a Golden God!"

"You know, you're a real pain, I can't wait to get you down here."
"Um, well, with all due respect, I'm not a murdering warlord, I'm a member of the fifth estate!"
"Like I said, I can't wait to get you down here."
Lucifer to Nigel, on You are There, Season 6, Xena

HashCasper

Post by HashCasper » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:09 pm

Bro. Laz, I have a question for you.
Is your mod going to have, map plugins?
U don't suppose you can change the levels around, or maybe change the order of the quests that we need to do. For example Move andariel where we don't know. so we have to go in every area looking for her, and misc. stuff like this. Like Den of Evil could be really hard, and like wayyyy out in the country, past the freeway n stuff.

I dunno, Im sure you can think up a lot better ideas than I. What all information have you released about median. The search did me no good, as this was the only thread showed up.

By the way, if you also would like to include new music, I have a bunch of good soundtracks for act1 and so forth. Anyway, kindly reply and let us know what the level design might look like, even if off the top of your head.

Thanks
sincerely

Hash
"We have a point to work to, to make our nation huge; make our home stretch around the world, increase our army too. We must take over the world, make it our own, the Earth we must control, so you can't F#CK it anymore." --Mathew Chalk--

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:34 pm

I did think about these things before, and decided against them. ;)

I don't have the 3 months to learn that level editor and use it for something constructive, so I guess the answer is nope.

Besides, I've never seen the level editor being used constructively. Having to run around in circles to find that goddamn quest boss is more annoying than challenging. 'Hey, let's make it so that people will have to run through every tomb with wall to wall revivable skeletons to find Radament! And let's put some maggots in too. This is going to be the ultimate challenge!'

There are no mass revivers in the mod, but I think moving quests around is the worst way to make a mod 'harder', and moving things around decreases the quality of a mod the same way out-of-place item graphics do. Sorry. :mrgreen:

As for the music, making people d/l 100 Mb just for some new BGM isn't a good idea IMO. It's maybe good for those mods that are already large to begin with. I'm actually trying to keep things as compact as possible so that anyone can download it.

And I don't actually understand who's going to download dozens of Mbs to get some music instead of spending that time downloading music they like more off Kazaa. :D

Mod nearly finished. :D Just one more monster type I just thought up, and then I can start testing and balancing. Website should be up by Monday. :)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Median XL released!

HashCasper

Post by HashCasper » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:02 am

On the contrary, Bro, I am not suggesting those crazy ideas, Just some minor changes, I mean it DOES get extremely boring, if the level layout is the same. Its so monotonous sometimes I feel like slapping myself for playing d2, lol. But I mean how about maybe including the map plugins. I mean for that you just have to change the sizes in txt. If not even that, then I would very much appreciate a copy of levels.txt and etc. when you release the mod, cuz I would like to change the levels around.

I dunno if i made myself clear but I was talking about layout changes just so you wouldn't have the same frikkin levels as every other mod. But I also wasn't talking about drastically messing up the levels/quests like BGmod or something. I mean it would be cool if we had stuff like Killing grounds, and Skeleton Cave or somethign from Zyel and AR respectively. Basically something more than just skills/animations/items.

I also think that minor changes like these go a long way to keep a mod player interested. It becomes more fun, because its not just the same thing over and over and over again.

The level changing suggestions have NOTHING to do with the game difficulty, merely providing new[EDIT]/different[/EDIT] areas and levels for players to have fun in.

EDIT: I am not telling you how to make your mod. Make it the way you want, I'm just happy your making a mod, hehehehe. :D
Last edited by HashCasper on Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:36 pm

Map plugins == 'I am noob so I leeched off other people'.

Hmm, the thing is, I need this released by Oct 1. Don't have time to learn this before the first release.

In patches, OTOH... anything is possible. :mrgreen:

Edit: The areas you named sound like their version of the cow level, right? Actually, I'm trying to make people play in some of the earlier acts as well [Acts 3-5] and in as many different places as possible, so one uber exp area is bad the same way Windforce is bad. :mrgreen:

Edit 2: I did change the size of some boring underground areas, of course. I'm not the only one who hates the endless jail/barracks/catacombs levels in act 1. :)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Median XL released!

HashCasper

Post by HashCasper » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:18 pm

No no no, you still misunderstand man.
I am just merely saying, diff. new levels would be good. I am not talking about uber exp levels n such. Just saying, those levels as example or something. Like its cool to add monster themed areas
like if u make a new level, with txt editing, u can name something for example skeleton caves, then u find like all sorts of skeletel monsters in there. stuff like that, just cosmetically change the levels and or add/remove/change around, new super uniques, and just stuff like that man. I don't think I can explain this any better.

EDIT: what is OTOH mean?
Last edited by HashCasper on Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4ever~|link
Paladin

Post by 4ever~|link » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:59 am

OTOH = on the other hand, makes sense when you read through sentences and use the context to figure out what you dont know, thats what i do with alot of the shorthand people use that i havent encountered.

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:27 am

Brother Laz";p="125653" wrote:[SCREENSHOT_] :D
Don't tell me you brought back those advocates. 8-O
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Brother Laz”