MPQ Extractor & -Direct -TXT for Macintosh

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

No votes

Total votes: 0

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

MPQ Extractor & -Direct -TXT for Macintosh

Post by Souricette » Thu May 22, 2003 10:57 pm

http://mpqtool.coucou.net/

Well, I'll not detail what it does - everything is in web page. It's the last version of the application I wrote - it's only in alpha stage (even if it does what it has to do correctly), since there are so many things I plan to do on it!

Enjoy,
Souricette.

Edit October 2005 : updated URL
Last edited by Souricette on Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:54 am, edited 7 times in total.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: Macintosh MPQ Extractor 1.0a3

Post by Joel » Fri May 23, 2003 8:02 am

Nice job. BTW can you tell me the speed you get when saving a tbl ...
Mine are very very bad (took at least 12s to save string.tbl) ...
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Re: Macintosh MPQ Extractor 1.0a3

Post by Souricette » Fri May 23, 2003 10:12 am

I don't have my hands on strings.tbl here, at work.

I tried on patchstring.tbl file (1006 key-string pairs in it), extracted from the patch file, altered it, and it took around 30 milliseconds to save it, on a 800MHz G4 processor (it can't be compared "as-is" with your MHz!) Code is written in C/C++ (well, it's in fact C code with C++ allocation, comments and in-code variable declarations, no tricky C++ code), I can send it to you if you want (I derived the one from the Perl sources found on that site, and changed it a bit to keep the extra hash table space present in original file and to deal with endianness).

Code is not optimized at all (even compiler optimizations have been disabled), so it may be faster if that was done - but it is already written in an human-optimized way. And the version present in my application is NOT so fast - since I realized when doing that profiling that I had let the LOG messages in it (and with these LOG messages it took around 4 seconds... Try to guess what took most of the time! I think a 1.0a4 will appear sooner than I expected :-))

Souricette.

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Macintosh Diablo II MPQ Tool 1.0a4

Post by Souricette » Thu May 29, 2003 10:42 pm

http://www.coucou.net/mpqtool/index.html

The most important feature of that new version is that it now enables us Macintosh users to have a fully functional -direct -txt equivalent!!!

See the web page for details - a great thank to all of you who helped me doing that by your wise advices and support!

Cheers,
Happy Souricette

Edit by Souricette 2 June 2003: in fact it's NOT -direct -txt equivalent - it's "only" -txt equivalent. But it's worth it!
Last edited by Souricette on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Macintosh Diablo II MPQ Tool 1.0a4

Post by Alkalund » Fri May 30, 2003 1:53 am

Even though I don't use a Mac, I want to congratulate you on this huge achievement, and thank you for a wonderful tool :beer: Certainly Mac players will welcome this fantastic news!

And when 1.10 comes, Mac mods will become even better, with many of the currently hardcoded features being now editable in txt files.

EDIT: forgot to mention... great documentation page, everything's well explained and detailed :)
Last edited by Alkalund on Fri May 30, 2003 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Re: MPQ Extractor & -Direct -TXT for Macintosh

Post by Souricette » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:26 pm

It seems that there's a bug working on the original "Diablo II Patch (Carbon)" file, from 1.09d (extracting a txt file and then inserting it back without any modification will corrupt the patch file).

A workaround is to duplicate the Classic "Diablo II Patch" to "Diablo II Patch (Carbon)" - that file is safe to work on... Of course, keep the original one to play on battle.net!

Also, some files can't be extracted correctly: plenty of .wav files from Warcraft III MPQ archives (it may even crash your computer), and I noticed one single file in Diablo II MPQ files (gems.wav).

That has been fixed in the next version (it's because of a new compression they use for Warcraft III) - I'll publish it as soon as I find the first problem mentionned. Expect it at the end of the week!

Souricette.

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Post by Souricette » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:27 pm

http://www.coucou.net/mpqtool/index.html

Released 1.0a5 version of Diablo II MPQ Tool. It's a bugfix release - no new functions!

- Fixed the problem of not being able to edit "Diablo II Patch (Carbon)" file and to run the Diablo II application after that - I changed the way file deletion is done in archive.

- Added ZLIB decompression for files in Warcraft III archives (it was sometimes crashing your computer, or extracting garbage instead of real files...)

- Fixed a few bugs in some file extraction too

A special thanks for Macintosh MPQ2K maintainer for his assistance - thanks, Jeff!

[Edit 08/13/2003] New 1.0a6 version has been released (same place). It handles the 1.10s version of Diablo II, and now enables to have the -direct feature on Macintosh too!
Read the web page for more details...

Souricette.
Last edited by Souricette on Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khan
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Khan » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:59 pm

and again I see the Mac wins the price for beauty :) If you compare the nifty and polished look of that tool with MPQ2K, MPQView or other stuff ... yuk yuk :)

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Moved

Post by Joel » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:21 pm

*This topic has been moved from Tools to Mac Modding*

Return to “Mac Modding”