Is 1.13d Carbon using a different form of MPQ...?

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

Skyknight

Is 1.13d Carbon using a different form of MPQ...?

Post by Skyknight » Sat May 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I used the Macintosh versions of MPQExtractor and DropMPQ to tweak my Patch data (enable all runewords and unique items, increase the pools for unique enemy names, adjust some Levels.txt monster placement information, ESPECIALLY for Act V Normal), only when I put the new .mpq file in...problems. First phase was total refusal to run; I eventually found I just needed to de-.mpq the files in the Get Info window (which, now that I think about it, sounds a bit odd. The game wants Unix executables instead of .mpqs...?). So, getting the game to run, I decided to test with my results with my Act IV Normal druid (if I ran into Assailants and/or non-minion Balrogs in the Outer Steppes, I could be sure of my success).

1. No music on entering the Pandemonium Fortress.
2. Odd visual echo effects--cloud wisps would quickly layer upon themselves as I descended the stairs.
3. Game auto-quitting on actually entering the Steppes.

When I checked the files, I noticed something VERY odd. The original Carbon Patch, pre-extraction, measured at 8.5 MB. The decompressed folder, 9.1 MB. But when I put the adjusted files (which, if anything, would have MORE data than before because of there being more text in the various cells) into DropMPQ...1.6 MB? Something doesn't quite fit here...Any idea why the adjusted .mpq would be so much smaller than the original? The only things I took out were the .bins for the .txts I altered.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: Is 1.13d Carbon using a different form of MPQ...?

Post by Necrolis » Sun May 27, 2012 10:05 am

When working with MPQ's, you can't really on size, as Blizzards MPQ's contain pre-allocated space in the file hash table, but most tools will only allocate space for files that actually exist.

AS for your changes not having any effect, you need to generate new bin files, which requires either a windows build, or Contrails bin generator.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Skyknight

Re: Is 1.13d Carbon using a different form of MPQ...?

Post by Skyknight » Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 pm

And this is where I wish there was an instruction manual, or at least troubleshooter, for the direct/txt patch program...I tried running the patched version of D2, but it quits out, on account of a bad kernel (too old a version?). I'd use the BootCamp side to generate .bins, except that I recently deleted the main program, and when I try to reinstall it, it keeps telling me to insert the Expansion disc--even though it's definitely in there--when it's time to install the d2xtalk files.

Return to “Mac Modding”