[Question] Editing dll to allow the game to load tables from Data folder

This forum is for discussions on how to edit what can not be edited through the txt files, needless to say this isn't about battle net hacking.

Moderators: Nefarius, Havvoric

pierre23

[Question] Editing dll to allow the game to load tables from Data folder

Post by pierre23 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:41 pm

Pretty much title. I want to modify a dll so I can load custom tables from Data/Global. I've done it before but I can't remember which instruction(s) need editing and I was hoping someone here would help me.
Thanks.

kain_abel_666
Canada

Re: [Question] Editing dll to allow the game to load tables from Data folder

Post by kain_abel_666 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 am

If you mean to load edited Diablo txt files then you just need to run in -direct-txt mode by editing your Diablo shortcut on your desktop.
If you mean create your own txt files and have gone game read them then this is what you are looking for:
https://d2mods.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48175
I've stayed quite a while and heard what you have to say. Now it is time for the real Kain to emerge.

pierre23

Post by pierre23 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Ah Ok, I thought it was a more simple or straightforward process. I already have an edited file and last time I used I had a guide showing where to edit the .dll so the file loads correctly, otherwise it doesn't work.
I checked your link but it flies a bit over my head.

Thanks for your reply.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:54 am

Perhaps we can figure out an easier approach if we know something about what you used a new txt file for and which game version. For example, several plugins for d2mod (v1.10f only) provide all the coding and you just edit a txt file as normal for vanilla files. Basemod and Nefex have the capability, I think, but I never modded past v1.10f myself so I can't advise you there. There are two parts to loading additional data, the txt file interpreter (complex-seeming but really straightforward since most fields don't use all that linker stuff Nef wrote about), and the actual mechanics needed to do something with all the new data. Case in point: Book of Lore, my top creation, allows you to place something like the Tower Tome in any map using Paul's excellent win_ds1 editor, write messages in .tbl files, and use the .txt file filters to determien when and who gets messages. The filter txt file is just a piece of that puzzle; the bulk of the code is making the game work with it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “Code Editing”