GUI Loader for Paul's ds1edit

Post here for all aspects of map making and level design. Click here to visit the Keep's official map site, Diabolic Cartography.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:32 am

Got a error when starting loader up on first install.(missing MFC70.dll)
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

The Shadow Has risen!!!! Warped Tiles

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:47 pm

Got a error when starting loader up on first install.(missing MFC70.dll)
Could have something to do with this version being compiled using M$VC++ 7.0. You been on the windows update site recently? PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you a version compiled with M$VC++ 6.0. Hopefully that one should work.
If anyone else experiences this problem, post it. If it turns out to be a serious problem, I'll send phrozen a version compiled with 6.0 to upload to the keep.
Regret Nothing - Learn Everything
ds1edit Loader - News & Feedback thread | Get Firefox!

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:00 am

I recived a copy of the files I needed thanks for the help.

Very nice tool for loading Stock ds1 files. ;)
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

The Shadow Has risen!!!! Warped Tiles

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:06 pm

Thanks! Always happy to have some *very* rare feedback, too.

SVR
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by SVR » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:53 pm

You will have this problem with VC7 for everyone. The VC6 version files ship with Win98/XP so it's no prob.
You might want to use static linking to avoid requiring the dlls. Your exe will get bigger, but it will still be *much* smaller than the MFC dlls needed to run it.

btw, I have started using your tool lately and it works very well :)
One request, maybe a button to edit the ini. Easy way is to just run notepad with the ini name. More complex method could be to popup a dialog with lvlPrest & lvlType lists and allow selection.

Nice Tool ;)

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:22 pm

One request, maybe a button to edit the ini. Easy way is to just run notepad with the ini name. More complex method could be to popup a dialog with lvlPrest & lvlType lists and allow selection.
It wouldn't be that complicated since I already have the things for multiple .ds1 with the same name so I could just extend that, it wouldn't be a problem. And I guess the idea with static linking isn't that bad, so I'll try it.

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:25 pm

Why aren't you all posting bug reports?
1. loading more than 10 .ds1 and then using the run button makes the loader crash
2. if you select "leave current comments" in the config .ini dialog, the "minimize .ds1 file size on save" option is not written to file
3. a few minor bugs which I may have added while rewriting the whole thing but that's fairly unlikely.

Anyway:
I've completed another version of the loader following SVR's suggestion and added a dialog for easy modifying of the loader's .ini. I've also restructered the layout completely (the buttons were getting rather tight). All functions except the parameters can be found in the new menu.
I was also wondering whether anyone was interested in an option to load previously saved .ini and .bat files made with the "make batch" option. This would save time for adding frequently used files to the list again and again and again. Interested?

PS: I hope this doesn't count as a double post, I thought it was enough to re-post.

SVR
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by SVR » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:03 am

I wasn't using the latest, so it won't let me load more than 10 at all ;-)
I'll try out the new one with my next round of experiments.

The reload "play list" option would be great!

EDIT:
Argh, still need MFC7 :(
Well, I guess I should stop fighting the inevitable.
Probably should put a link to it somewhere.
Last edited by SVR on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: GUI Loader for Paul's ds1edit

Post by Volf » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:20 am

Just updated to the latest version and i cant seem to get the loader to load more than 1 ds1 at the time, if i add a second ds1 to the list I get:
ds1edit_error() :
couldn't found the DEF 35528 in LvlPrest.txt

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:20 pm

OK, 'nother update. Unless someone reports a bug or paul changes something with his ed, this is the final version. See first post for features.

SVR
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by SVR » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:10 am

I've got same prob as before. If you edit the ini you get this ...

Code: Select all

[PARAMS]
008D5658	008D5658	008D5658	008D5658	008D5658

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:07 pm

OK, I found the problem. I'll send it to phrozen as soon as the batteries of my mouse are charged up.
EDIT: uploaded.
Last edited by DarthDevilous on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 am

'nother update, see first post. and please give some sort of feedback! just take a moment to rate the file or something!!!

Paul Siramy
Retired staff
Principality
France

Hand-picked

Post by Paul Siramy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:08 am

:arrow: Always a pleasure to use a user-friendly interface for .ds1 :)

:arrow: I noticed there is 1 option that is lacking in ds1edit loader tough. In the window "Configure ds1edit's .ini", there's no checkbox for the option "ds1_saved_minimize" in last win_ds1edit ini. It has appeared the 19th Jully 2004 here ;)

:arrow: Tough the loader do support it, the doc (.txt and html) weren't updated : the editor and your loader supports up to 100 ds1 (not only 10 anymore)

:arrow: I have a problem.
* adding 12 files to list
* file / make batch (name = __test__)
--> it creates both the .bat and .ini ok. If I manually launch the .bat, it works. BUT :
* file / load batch
* selectioning __test__.bat
--> it throw me the "failed to find __test__.ini" error... A 'current working directory' and/or 'current active disk' problem I think ?

:arrow: Btw, in the .bat ds1edit_loader generates, I have :

@echo off
cd "F:\Paul-div\D2\paul\"
"win_ds1edit.exe" "__test__.ini" > "__test___debug.txt"
If ERRORLEVEL 0 goto DONE
pause
:DONE
It's ok, but I think the addition of the line

@echo off
[color=#FF0000]F:[/color]
cd "F:\Paul-div\D2\paul\"
"win_ds1edit.exe" "__test__.ini" > "__test___debug.txt"
If ERRORLEVEL 0 goto DONE
pause
:DONE
will be safer : depending of the operating system, cd "<drive letter>:<filename>" won't necessary change the current working drive.

:arrow: Very minor changes to do : right-aligne the number fields of all the 6 scrolling speeds. It's currently set as left-aligned.

:arrow: maybe usefull ? when Edit / Loader's ini, I think a text field with a "search" or "search next" button next to it will help in finding a ds1 name OR ds1 level name... for quicker and easier modifying of the parameters.

:arrow: when editing the Loader's ini, the LvlPrest DEF value CAN be -1. It's Automatic LvlPrest.txt DEF Id detection, for both command line and .ini, just like DRTester do. Appeared the 1st august 2004. Check here. Also, when Adding a new entry to Loader's ini, I suggest to set the LvlPrest DEF to -1 instead of 0.

:arrow: when adding an entry in the Loader's ini, I have the error "You must enter a value in all fields except comments" when the LvlType ID is (incorrectly) set to 0. It should be "LvlType ID must be greater or equal than 1". In fact, all fields should have their own error, but if you don't want then you can change the original error to "You must enter valid values in all fields ('Comments' field is optional tough)"

:arrow: when I manually edit a Lvlprest DEF to -1 in the Loader's ini, it appears as 4294967295 in the Loader's window. So signed numbers must be allowed here ;)

:arrow: after "help / registering extension", if I open one .ds1, it open the loader. ok. But if I then open another ds1 it open a new instance of ds1edit_loader. It should either not be allowed, or add the 2nd ds1 in the list of the 1st instance. If you let it that way, then it's possible to open 2 times win_ds1edit, and in theory if you mess up the order of the closing of each then you'll have incorect output in your ds1edit_loader. Well, in all cases, it's not *that* important... You can also argue that *my* editor let it open itself 2 times ;) I'd prefer if the 2nd ds1 add itself to the 1st list, but do as you can/want... You can already drag'n drop ds1 into ds1edit_laoder, which is nice :)
Last edited by Paul Siramy on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:56 am, edited 9 times in total.

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:47 am

Great list, I'm working on it... But as for the checkbox for ds1_saved_minimize, its already there, you probably overlooked it.
As for the last suggestion, should i add the possibility to turn off the single-instance feature? It's a feature I had often thought about adding, and i remember a while ago trying to, but at the time I was unsuccessful...

Paul Siramy
Retired staff
Principality
France

Hand-picked

Post by Paul Siramy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:02 pm

DarthDevilous";p="243875" wrote:as for the checkbox for ds1_saved_minimize, its already there, you probably overlooked it.
Woops, indeed :oops:
As for the last suggestion, should i add the possibility to turn off the single-instance feature?
If you can, go on. It's better to have a flexible program ;)

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:00 pm

:arrow: maybe usefull ? when Edit / Loader's ini, I think a text field with a "search" or "search next" button next to it will help in finding a ds1 name OR ds1 level name... for quicker and easier modifying of the parameters.
Sort of a "undocumented" feature (read: its in the default list functionality, I have nothing to do with it) is that you can type on the keyboard and the selection will jump to the first matching item. Note this only works for the first column (File name) :P
:arrow: after "help / registering extension", if I open one .ds1, it open the loader. ok. But if I then open another ds1 it open a new instance of ds1edit_loader. It should either not be allowed, or add the 2nd ds1 in the list of the 1st instance. If you let it that way, then it's possible to open 2 times win_ds1edit, and in theory if you mess up the order of the closing of each then you'll have incorect output in your ds1edit_loader. Well, in all cases, it's not *that* important... You can also argue that *my* editor let it open itself 2 times ;) I'd prefer if the 2nd ds1 add itself to the 1st list, but do as you can/want... You can already drag'n drop ds1 into ds1edit_laoder, which is nice :)
Just wanted to say: As far as i know (I havn't actually tested it) the normal output should be in the correct instance of the loader, whichever window you close first. As the stderr.txt, i have no idea how that behaves when you have two instances of win_ds1edit running, since i don't know how win_ds1edit manages it.
:arrow: Tough the loader do support it, the doc (.txt and html) weren't updated : the editor and your loader supports up to 100 ds1 (not only 10 anymore)
Umm... I can't even find a statement in the doc about how many ds1 can be in the list...

Anyway, if anyone's interested in testing the newest version, contact me (PM, IRC, etc.)

EDIT:
Just a feature i thought of... The possibility to specify .bat/.ini files as command-line parameters. This would mean you could save the map list you use frequently to a .bat/.ini file and then use a shortcut to have the loader start with the content of that .bat/.ini already in the laoder... dunno how useful this would be, so maybe a comment or two please?
Last edited by DarthDevilous on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Sat May 26, 2007 6:10 pm

New Version out!
2.0~beta1
Complete rewrite, see first post.
I also just noticed that I forgot drag-and-drop... will work on that next.
As usual, feedback is welcome!

EDIT: drag-and-drop added.
Last edited by DarthDevilous on Sat May 26, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brappy
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by brappy » Sun May 27, 2007 3:47 am

Something I have wanted in this loader for a while (I thought now was a good time to post this) is that when you add a non-existant ds1 to the list (when you add a new level), instead of just resetting you to the main screen, have a popup "Add xxx.ds1 to .ini file? y/n" and yes would take you to the 'add ds1' menu. It would make things a bit more convenient if you have lots of new levels.
Currently working on Tricet of Apocalypse (Latest patch: Beta 0.9) | Mod thread
A=B, A²=AB, A²-B²=AB-B², (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B), A+B=B, A+A=A, 2A=A, 2=1

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Mon May 28, 2007 12:28 pm

brappy";p="326776" wrote:Something I have wanted in this loader for a while (I thought now was a good time to post this) is that when you add a non-existant ds1 to the list (when you add a new level), instead of just resetting you to the main screen, have a popup "Add xxx.ds1 to .ini file? y/n" and yes would take you to the 'add ds1' menu. It would make things a bit more convenient if you have lots of new levels.
Feature added + a few bugfixes ...

New version: 2.0~beta3

Hopefully i didn't break anything :P

CrazyLimon

Post by CrazyLimon » Mon May 28, 2007 3:11 pm

2DarthDevilous:
Can you appload new version in ANOTHER server? :'( fileplanet, for eXample :)
My provider is bugged for filefront :( Why? I dont known :( :mad:
Two Legions [closed]
Astral Project [closed]

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Mon May 28, 2007 3:44 pm

um... its not uploaded at file front... the links in the first post point to my university account. haven't updated my sig yet :P

CrazyLimon

Post by CrazyLimon » Mon May 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Heh.. Sorry for this errors in my brain :D :oops:
But from your university server i can`t downloading too (

i can`t dl`ing files from some servers..
"http://n.ethz.ch/" *adding to "blacklist" :cry:
Two Legions [closed]
Astral Project [closed]

DarthDevilous

Post by DarthDevilous » Mon May 28, 2007 8:27 pm

New version, see first post.

@CrazyLimon: PM me with your email or something and i'll send you the file

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:03 pm

I've updated my mirror with the latest version.
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Return to “Map Editing”