Act 3 Mapping Questions

Post here for all aspects of map making and level design. Click here to visit the Keep's official map site, Diabolic Cartography.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Act 3 Mapping Questions

Post by Trevor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Great Marsh - I am looking for a submap that I can use to add a link to another map. In all of the outdoor jungle maps, is there one submap that is used once and only in the Great Marsh?

Temples - Does any one have a list of which temple spawns in Lower Kurast, the Bazaar, and Upper Kurast?

I'm looking to expand Act 3 in one of these two locations. (I have already expnded at the Sewers and Causeway)
Thank you in advance.
AfterMath Overview: http://www.aftermathcentral.com

Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.
- Author Unknown

Mod Completion: Always under Construction
D2SE Compatible Only

Playing AfterMath v3.0.1 ~ 1020 MB
Released March 31, 2017

PureRage
Forum Regular
Angel
Great Britain

Re: Act 3 Mapping Questions

Post by PureRage » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 pm

You will have to edit multiple (I think 4) DS1's for this. It took a while to find what group of maps to use (ensuring that only 1 variation would spawn per game). But i do have a working warp to a new map from the great marsh.

It's been a year since i touched any of this so my memory is fuzzy on the subject. Heres a link to the edited DS1's from my jungle folder though, check through them and make a note of what ones have the warp on. Those are the ones that can only spawn 1 of per game. Just replace the warp with your own one.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15324396/jungle.rar

To find out what temples spawn on each map, just check what level numbers are linked to lower/upper/bazaar in levels.txt.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as "A bad move".
Douglas Adams

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks for posting the link Rage. I finally had some time to go through them. How did you manage to figure out what maps to edit? It appears to be completely ad hoc. (There were 6 or 7 maps that had Vis tiles added to them.)

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

PureRage
Forum Regular
Angel
Great Britain

Post by PureRage » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Lots and lots of trial and error. I'm sure there was some method to the madness, but it was so long ago I can't remember.
It was mainly to make the marsh something worth exploring. The warp takes you to a side quest/challenge area in the form of a sacked city. Ormus is at the end (not got around to removing him from the town though) and the gidbinn reward was changed to a unique jewel that works together with a special charm dropped in that level. The charm needs to be cubed after killing the boss under a certain level, then the jewel socketed to create the completed reward.
Pretty much an expansion of the gidbinn quest.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as "A bad move".
Douglas Adams

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 am

OK - I did some exploring in the Great Marsh with some edited maps - both yours and mine. Using your maps, I dont understand how you know that you wont spawn two sub maps with warping tiles on them.

When I use mine, (I've edited four maps - all belonging to the same "subgroup" in act3/jungle/bog), I've noticed that I cant seem to get two warping submaps which is great, but I've noticed that the Great Marsh can spawn without any warps at all. The game doesnt seem to care, and quite honestly, neither do I. IE - if the warping tile spawns - great - off to my new map. If it doesnt, the game isnt spewing the usual mapping errors and you can explore the GM without issue.

Should I be concerned? Levels.txt clearly shows that the Great Marsh has a link to map id 247 and map 247 obviously links back to the Great Marsh. That said, the game seems to work just fine. Your thoughts?

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Paul Siramy
Retired staff
Principality
France

Hand-picked

Post by Paul Siramy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:23 am

The Vis and Warp in levels.txt, as you found out, need to reference all the possible warps that DS1 contains, but given the version of the DS1 it is possible that some warps are in fact not there. No problem. It's only a problem when a DS1 has a Vis which is not referenced in levels.txt.

Check Making optional maps for examples.

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Thankyou Paul! I never knew that mapping concept was possible. :)

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Return to “Map Editing”