About Cain's position in Act 5 (Harrogath)

Post here for all aspects of map making and level design. Click here to visit the Keep's official map site, Diabolic Cartography.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

Darion

About Cain's position in Act 5 (Harrogath)

Post by Darion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 am

So in Single Player games, Cain in Act 5 wanders near Qual-Kehk (the hireling NPC), at a place so far which almost makes him obsolete there.
But on BN games, Cain in Act 5 is relocated to a place between player stash and WP, which makes him quite handy for identifying things again.

So I wonder where his location data is stored, hard coded or edit-able from txt files?

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Re: About Cain's position in Act 5 (Harrogath)

Post by Nizari » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 am

This is a matter of map editing and so I will move your thread to proper place.

Scroll to the very bottom, this will teach you how to do it with Paul Siramy's map editor:
http://paul.siramy.free.fr/_divers/ds1/doc/index.html

Darion

Post by Darion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 am

Nizari wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 am
This is a matter of map editing
So what you mean is, on BN they use a different map (on which Cain has a different location)?
Isn't this "new" map already in our game file, so I can just toggle it on in SP?

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 am

No, it's not. They use different map indeed.

Darion

Post by Darion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 am

Nizari wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 am
No, it's not. They use different map indeed.
Well thanks mate, good to know that this change is actually did on the server. :o
I suppose there are no means to retrive the exact pathing of the BN version then, if it's not avaliable here.
Guess I'd let it go, feel like not much point in mimicking this myself.

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 am

i can upload edited map if you want. Tomorrow.

Darion

Post by Darion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 am

Nizari wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 am
i can upload edited map if you want. Tomorrow.
That would be great. Thank you Nizari.

Nizari
Site Admin
Paladin
Poland

Post by Nizari » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Take this object :arrow:
Attachments
townWest.rar
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 am

How do you get the updated map to work? I have done the re-position and re-pathing myself and also tried your file, but it doesn't work in-game. I'm assuming it has something to do with the object IDs in the .txt files, but can someone walk me through that really quick? I literally just want cain moved and that's all. I'm just trying to farm some single player runs.

It would be deeply appreciated!

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 am

extract the townWest.ds1 file to Diablo II\data\global\tiles\expansion\town\ and launch your game with the parameter "-direct" (e.g. "C:\Games\Diablo II\game.exe" -direct) or use a mpq editor (like WinMPQ) and store the file at the same path inside the mpq (this way you dont need the launch parameter).

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:25 pm

If I'm using D2SE, do I have to add the parameter on the shortcut for that, or do I move the "Game.exe" file to my desktop and then add the parameter to that? Doing it to D2SE shortcut seems illogical since it just opens the D2SE app, but pulling the Game.exe shortcut to the desktop also seems a bit counter-intuitive considering that it won't be launching from the shortcut.

UPDATE: There's an .ini file for D2SE in the Diablo II directory that is for settings parameters like you said, however I tried it and I had no luck. I also tried putting -direct on the D2SE shortcut just to give it a shot but still nothing. I'm honestly not sure what I should try now.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 am

in the ini there are two ways to set the parameters.
the first is:

Code: Select all

#Parameter for modding, only active when Modable=1
#Direct 1=use -direct commandline default=0
Direct=1
#Txt 1=use -txt commandline default=0
Txt=1
This first method requires check boxes to be selected to activate them.
these checkboxes will appear in the lower right corner in D2SE.

the second one is:

Code: Select all

#Allow the activation of -direct and -txt switch default=0
Modable=1
#When Modable=0 it forces -Direct -Txt without showing the Checkboxes.
#ModForceDirect=1
#ModForceTxt=1
with this method you can bypass the checkbox part.
Remove the # in front of the key to be able to use it.
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:18 am

Well so far, I tried putting both of the lines of code you have, however I'm still not seeing any changes when I load up a character. The first section of code didn't give me check boxes in the lower right corner of the D2SE app. I have the edited townWest.ds1 extracted to the data/global/excel/expansion/town folder and I put the code you have in the D2SE.ini and removed the existing one which was "D2CMDLIN" or something like that.

I did what ChaosMarc said and tried putting the file into the path using an MPQ editor, but I had to duplicate it in order to make any changes. I then pasted the edited d2exp.mpq into the main directory, however this only gave me errors when trying to launch the game which were directly stating d2exp.mpq being the issue.

Also, when I open the "Harogath" batch file for the DS1 editor, it is directed to pull from the same d2exp.mpq as the main game but the only changes that appear are mine. Which is basically the exact same thing as Nizari's. I simply moved Cain and made a new path for him. But shouldn't it be using the one Nizari made since that's the one I copy/replaced in the mpq with the editor?

I'm kind've stumped. Gotta reinstall to get the default mpq so I can launch again.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:14 am

If you're using D2SE then you need to put all files in your MyMod folder. Which is (from default installation) diablo ii\mods\mymod\

If you dont have that, then you will need to create one.
Or In the D2SE topic, there is a download for the mymod plugin which contains some basic files and the needed d2se_setup.ini

You should not mess with D2SE.ini in the main game directory.

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Okay so I've gotten the D2SE_Setup .ini as you suggested and placed the MyMod folder in the mods folder. I had originally created my own folder paths which were "data/global/excel/expansion/town" but none of that seemed to do anything. Now I can at least see the My Mod selection in the D2SE app.

So far, I've gotten My Mod to show up in the D2SE app with the bottom right check boxes. It launched the game fine, but when I click Singleplayer at the main menu the game crashes and I get an "Unhandled Exception: Access_Violation (c0000005)" error message every time.

UPDATE: I launched the game using glide instead of the default DDraw and was able to get to the character selection screen, but my character isn't there. I made a new character and relaunched the game using DDraw and I can now see my character. However it gives me the crash again if I try to play on it, as well as any new character I make.

I apologize for being an inconvenience, but I'm determined to make this work lol.
Last edited by zarth on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:41 pm

The only thing I can suggest from this point forward is to actually read the D2SE topic carefully as it explains everything you need to know about installing and using mods, as well as read the settings in the ini file carefully.

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Sorry for the bump, I didn't see you commented before I edited. I have updated info on my situation.

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I opened the debug log inside the MyMod folder and it's saying that the fault address targets the d2win.dll file within "d2se/cores/1.13c"

I guess for now I"ll just go back to vanilla with plugy. I feel like I have tried everything and have followed instructions to a T, but I've already spent the last 2 or 3 days trying to figure this out and haven't even played once.

If you care to give one more shot at figuring this out, then I appreciate it a lot. Otherwise It's fine, I'll continue using the vanilla setup. I personally don't see the need to fully study the D2SE topic as I'm only doing basic file placement and not really "customizing" the mod, most of which is pretty automated. I've made sure the D2SE_Setup .ini uses the correct core (1.13c), obviously, or it wouldn't work at all. But there doesn't seem to be anything else I need to change within any of the .ini files. The bits of code you put are already in D2SE_Setup.ini, and they both do their job just fine. I'm just having a hard time understanding why D2SE vanilla can get into the actual rendered world, but My Mod can't. They both are targeting the same d2win.dll file, so I'm not sure what could be causing it to crash. Unless D2SE vanilla uses the d2win.dll within the main directory and My Mod uses the one in "d2se/cores/1.13c". I'd expect vanilla to use the same one within its' own "d2se/cores/1.13c" or else why have it in the first place? Although if I try removing the d2win.dll in the main Diablo II directory, the game doesn't launch through D2SE which is confusing. Is there a way to make My Mod target the d2win.dll in the main directory instead of the folder within D2SE, or will this not work at all?

I haven't gone switching random things either. If I changed anything, I made sure to back up the original and compare the results. Which only consisted of moving folders/files and trying different paths. But just to be absolutely sure, the D2SE MyMod Plugin you said to get has everything pre-arranged in the correct spot right? Or in other words, you don't have to take some of those folders and specifically put them anywhere right? I obviously had to paste the folder into Diablo II/mods, but that should be all that is needed. I tried moving the D2SE_Setup .ini out of the folder for some trial and error, and of course it removes the My Mod selection from list in the D2SE app. I also noticed that the save folder in MyMod is in-fact important. It independently needs my save files while they also exist in the "D2SE/cores/1.13c/save". So I'm confident that nothing should be moved out of MyMod to place elsewhere.

I'll try to include some screenshots of my folder placements.

Last edited by zarth on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm

please start completely fresh:

remove diablo/d2se/your mod files - everything (backup saves and modded files before)
reinstall diablo with the 1.12 digital installer (see my signature)
install d2se
download http://d2se.org/d2se/modplugins/D2SE_My ... .0_sfx.exe and extract it to "Diablo II\MODS" (there should be MyMod folder below MODS now)
edit Diablo II\MODS\MyMod\D2SE_SETUP.ini:
- set D2Core (line 36) to the version of your liking (e.g. 1.13c)
place your data (with global\tiles\expansion\town\townWest.ds1 in it) folder into "Diablo II\MODS\MyMod"
start d2se, select your mod and press "start plugin"

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm

ChaosMarc wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm
please start completely fresh:

remove diablo/d2se/your mod files - everything (backup saves and modded files before)
reinstall diablo with the 1.12 digital installer (see my signature)
install d2se
download http://d2se.org/d2se/modplugins/D2SE_My ... .0_sfx.exe and extract it to "Diablo II\MODS" (there should be MyMod folder below MODS now)
edit Diablo II\MODS\MyMod\D2SE_SETUP.ini:
- set D2Core (line 36) to the version of your liking (e.g. 1.13c)
place your data (with global\tiles\expansion\town\townWest.ds1 in it) folder into "Diablo II\MODS\MyMod"
start d2se, select your mod and press "start plugin"
This is quite literally the exact procedure I went through. I reinstalled using the 1.12 digital installer and followed the exact steps you suggested. I edited line 36 in d2se_setup.ini to correlate to 1.13c. I then placed the MyMod folder that you said to download in the Diablo II/MODS folder and also have set d2SE to run in compatibility mode for windows xp SP3, as well as both game.exe and Diablo II.exe.

However, I still get an unhandled exception error when I try to load my character into the world.

zarth
United States of America

Post by zarth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm not sure what I just did, but somehow everything works perfectly. I am actually so confused lol. All I did was re-extract the townWest.ds1 into the directory and it stopped crashing upon entering world. I re-extracted the MyMod Plugin just for the hell of it and apparently it fixed everything. It's a good feeling knowing I wasn't really doing anything wrong, it was just some file sync/corruption issues or something.

I'm very sorry for all of this chaos and rebumping a year-old thread. I greatly appreciate your efforts, sincerely.

Return to “Map Editing”