Is it possible to clone mephisto? His gfx are DC6...

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Is it possible to clone mephisto? His gfx are DC6...

Post by Sardius » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:37 pm

I tried cloning Mephisto to a new line, the game crashes... Mephisto seems to be the only monster you cannot clone.
I downloaded DCC's of Mephisto "can't remeber where" But he didn't have his Mephisto aura. and His death frames were messed up, when he died he left a black square which made one the bridge tiles where I killed him turn into a black square, and didn't have his normally cool volcanic explosion death.
Last edited by Sardius on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Senior Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Is it possible to clone mephisto? His gfx are DC6...

Post by kingpin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:07 pm

Memphisto is built up with both dcc + dc6 files. That are the reason why you get problem with clone memphisto. They have a hardcoded check for Memphisto's hcidx so it load both dcc + dc6 files.

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:36 pm

So if I cloned Mephisto's lined and just kept his Hcidx the default Mephisto, would that work properly? Or would it EXPLODE

kingpin
Senior Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:36 pm

the hcidx is an unique index, so you cannot use same hcidx twice. To get cloned memphisto working you would either need CE or make a new token for your cloned Meph. Since, if I remember correct meph have all needed dcc anims to make it work without the dc6 part. But, it will look more ugly.

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 am

actually, mephisto doesn't have a single DCC file I can find, only DC6... I looked in his MP directory and they were all DC6..
I mainly just need to get a proper death animation for him. Aura isn't really a big deal.
I wonder why the hell Mephisto is like this.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:59 am

I wonder why the hell Mephisto is like this.
A couple of years ago we believed it had something to do with the animation size limit for dcc files, not sure if this is why, or if there is a definitive explanation. I recall some other monster had one animation mode as dc6 (sand maggot queen perhaps :-| ).

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:58 pm

But the white dragon new token plugin uses DCC and he is bigger then both mephisto and the queen.

Paul Siramy
Retired staff
Principality

Hand-picked

Post by Paul Siramy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:08 am

DCC are more restricted than DC6. DCC are compressed DC6, and as such use a lost-quality algorythm. By 'size', it's not width & height, but total number of frames that needs to be understand (# directions * # frames per directions = total frames).

Some animations can't fit in a DCC, because of this size limitation, and maybe for other internal limitations (like total number of cells in a direction, a cell beeing usually 4*4 pixels).

If you have a big animation (width & height), AND a lot of frames per directions, you're aproching the limits, but if the animation is really different from frame to frame (almost no redundant pixels), then you're aproching even quicker to the DCC limits.

Mephisto is in DC6 because of DCC limitations... or maybe because he looks better with DC6 :) (DCC are losing theorically 3/4 of the original pixels, but with a frame that is displayed for 1/25th of a second, it's not that obvious.

EDIT : btw, dc6edit ( http://paul.siramy.free.fr/_divers/dc6edit.zip ) was made especially to extract Mephisto animation.
Last edited by Paul Siramy on Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:48 pm

If it extracts them, will it also convert them?

Paul Siramy
Retired staff
Principality

Hand-picked

Post by Paul Siramy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:54 pm

It extract pcxs, so that you can make a gif and use CV5 to transforms them into DCC (that's some work, sorry). Be carefull, as the pcxs have an additional row and column, this is how my program show where is the sprite pivot (kind of offset) by drawing 2 white dots (see readme for more details).

:arrow: Or hmmm, better solution that I often forgot : use SVR's DrTester, a recent version, as it's possible to save gifs directly from there.

kingpin
Senior Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:07 pm

You can also use Dc6 Creator to save the dc6 as gif animation.

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:59 pm

Well I looked through all his DC6 and I couldn't find his volcanic death animation at all... All his death files were of himsellf. None of that special effect that occurs when you actual kill Mephisto...

The new token plugin from CryptForges death animation is bugged. When you kill Mephisto he instantly dissappears and turns into a black permanent tile on the ground with skulls in like 1 frame of animation.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:06 pm

His 'death animation' is no death animation but a unused monster called 'Evil Hole' (a spawner for fallen that was not used in the final game)

Check this token EH.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:38 pm

Hmmm, interesting, yah I extracted it and Im looking through them. But it seems Mephisto's default death animation uses all the Evil Hole animations not just the Evil Hole's death animation.

Like it summons the monster, has it play out it's animations, then die... I am assuming that this is hardcoded to Mephisto's HCIdx much like most of Mephisto?

If thats the case, could I set up all the evil hole animations as a replacement for my mephisto clones death animation? Or what program could I use to put all the dcc's together into 1 dcc.

Mephisto is certainly a confusing monster to mess around with, he has so many different directories.
Last edited by Sardius on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:00 pm

The only program I am aware of that merges DCC files is Merge_DCC by Paul Siramy. It should be in the file center.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:07 pm

No such program exsists on File Center. Not in his sig either.
Last edited by Sardius on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:18 pm

ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Sardius
Banned
Arch-Angel

Post by Sardius » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:57 pm

I did search, went to file search and looked for both DCC_merge and DCC merge and it said

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"

And I was using the file search to, not the forum search.

But anyway, I read over the readme.txt and I still can't make heads or tails out of this program, all I can figure out how to do is extract PCX files or BMP's from the DCC's. No clue how to actually Merge the DCC's, reame doesn't even say.

I think Im giving up on this. Mephisto is way to big of a pain in the ass to clone.

He death animations that come with the new token don't even work in game so Im not confident these will either even with I convert them.

In the DT related DCC's that are in my folder, you can watch Mephisto die if you view it with CV52 in an animation... and despite having the proper COF and line in animdata.txt when he dies he just instantly becomes a tile with a skull on it.
Last edited by Sardius on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:05 am

If you don't want to do it with dcc_merge (the program is there for merging OVERLAYS and BODYPARTS into one DCC file)

Just use Cv5 and save all the hole-dcc files as GIF files, then use Animation Shop or another Anim Editor to combine all of the animations, then save them as a DCC again.

Joel
Retired staff
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:46 am

it's merge_dcc ....
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:48 am

Oops, swapped the name around, but only in the last post.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:15 pm

[quote=Sardius";p="199167"]
I did search, went to file search and looked for both DCC_merge and DCC merge and it said

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"
[/quote]

I found it using "merge" ;) Sometimes you have to try harder, I got no matches with "merge dcc" also.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:41 am

Just to put something in here regarding the original question.
If you wan't to clone mephisto you will need a bit of patience and some good animation coversion skills.

First convert his DC6 to GIF or PCX, then use a good animator tool to resize the animation. [note, don't use Animation Shop, if you use resize in animation shop the frames will get an ugly border.] Now do as many reductions needed to make the animation fit within the DCC limits. Convert your anims to DCC and use merge_dcc to turn them into one animation. Finally, adjust the COF files to use only one layer. Create a new token for this animation. An then clone mephisto and give the clone the new gfx. It won't look 100% like the original but it will work. [Mephistos skull-cloud overlay is stored in MephistoOverlay.DCC in the overlays folder]

PS: I had to re-write this reply because the wording of the original made no sense to me when reading it again :P
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “General Mod Making”