Lament of Innocence Alpha v1.00+ Feedback

Information and updates for mods and plugins created by Talonrage. If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: talonrage

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Lament of Innocence Alpha v1.00+ Feedback

Post by talonrage » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:23 am

Well, first off, this is an Alpha launch for my new Lament of Innocence Mod. It is stable and you can play it all the way to Hell Baal in Act 5 if you so wish. I'm releasing it for feedback on varies skill builds as the players advances deeper into the game against vanilla monsters, exc (and crashes, though I dont think you'll find any).

As I progree farther with the Mod, versions may change and later versions may not be compatable with earlier version saved files.

So, if you are looking for a "finished" Mod or you are easily discouraged with having to start over because of incompatability from version to version, you may as well go somewhere else because this is NOT it.

Talon
Last edited by talonrage on Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elzix15
Paladin

Re: Lament of Innocence Alpha v1.00 Download & Feedback

Post by Elzix15 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:54 pm

Ok, so here is what i have found

SKILLS:
Whirlwind only shows a mana cost.(mabey you took out the damage penalty)

Demon and undead slayer percentage is to high. you should start it at 50 and go up by 10 instead of 20.

Teeth says it gets a synergy frome magic mastery but it doesnt give any values. Same with Corpse explosion.

Increased attack speed aura is redundant if you also give a passive skill that increases attack speed.

MISC:
Magic arrows and bolts dont do anything
Katars say very slow attack speed but they act as fast
Katars show up as invisible weapons

ERRORS

Assertion Failure
Expression eComponent<Num_Components

THOUGHTS

The character build system is pretty cool, and i like the many different choices of skills. The fire, ice, and charged bolt skills cost to much mana at first lvl. I am sure you intend to change their names. Fire bolt could be enchant, ice bolt could be Frost weapon and charged bolt could be charged strike. All in all i like the mod and would like to say keep up the good work.
Beyond the hall of heroes lies the chamber of bone.
Death await any who would seek to steal the treasures secured within this room.
So speaks the lord of terror and so it is written

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:28 pm

Is it in any way possible to create -actX character for testing purposes? I don't don't know where to add the line when running the mod via script.
I'd rather go to Africa and get eaten by an Elephant... Snoopy

Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007!

ZyEl Wiki

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by talonrage » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Was the crash associated with the Katar? Did you try to equip it? I planned to remove class-specific items but still intend to keep the graphics for special Uniques.

The passive damage bonus for Undead and Demon skills are set high because they are maxed at lvl 10. Also, to max them, you would have to invest 15 points into each. I'll set the damage to 50% + 15% per level.

Whirlwind has no damage penalty and starts at +0% damage bonus. Place 2 points into it and you'll see a damage bonus increase.

Teeth isnt finished, thats why theres no display. Corpse Explosion gains additional blast radius from magic mastery.

Two IAS bonuses is rudundant, I'll change one or the other to something else (dont know what though).

Fire Bolt, Ice Bolt , and Charged bolt all actually enchant your weapon with the actual element they are named after (just like Enchant works). I forgot to add the files I'm currently on to the patch is all.
Last edited by talonrage on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:45 pm

I dont think so, i have tried that with ROS and it didnt work. I am guessing that you will have to actually try and get that far in the gmae to test the skills.

Edit:
Yes the katar was the problem. It only happend when i took a katar off and tried re-equiping it.
Last edited by Elzix15 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by talonrage » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:59 pm

Is it in any way possible to create -actX character for testing purposes? I don't don't know where to add the line when running the mod via script.
Yes. Right-Click the desktop shortcut start-up Icon and select EDIT. Scroll down (almost at the bottom) till you find this section. Remove the ' from each line. Then when you start up the mod, select yes when it asks you if you want to switch acts.

' D2Alert = "Change act to start in?" & chr(13) & chr(10) & chr(10) & "This is used for 'testing. "
' D2Choose = MsgBox(D2Alert,292,"Choose to start in act5")
' If D2Choose = 6 Then
' D2CmdLine = D2CmdLine & " -act5"
' End If

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:23 pm

For the IAS Problem you should leave the passive skill and replace the aura with something like an elemental aura. A mix between holy shock, holy freeze and holy fire. Just make the values small and give it sinergies fron fire, ice, and lightning mastery. Or you could always take the passive away and make it into a skill that gives open wounds, like in ROS.

chipmanr
Paladin

Post by chipmanr » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Hmm, is there a specific reason my char started with 10 10mil exp pots? Not that I'd turn up my nose at a free 100 mil exp once I hit level 95 (req. for the pots), but seems odd for starting equip.
Made with 100% meat by-products.

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Mabey he started the chars with those for his own testing purpose and forgot to remove them

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by talonrage » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:36 pm

Yes, they were added for testing purposes only and I forgot to remove them. They do work IF you get to lvl 95, but theres easier ways to make a lvl 99 character :).

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:32 pm

Are you going to enable the 125 char lvls for this mod as well? There are a few things that you should use from ROS in this mod such as the new throwing potions and the resistence potions. Also, in ROS the merchants windows have a weapons tab and a magic tab, if you could make it to where they sold only magic in that tab that would help out a lot for those that want to imbue and socket items for rune words.

chipmanr
Paladin

Post by chipmanr » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Every unique I've found is a blank. I assume they are either not finished yet or blanks are intentional? Or am I running into something like the HT uniques problem?

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by talonrage » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:04 pm

There are a few things that you should use from ROS in this mod such as the new throwing potions and the resistence potions.
Yes, I'll be using a few things from RoS in this mod. For instance, the Resistance potions are one, as well as a Cube Enhancement reagent (IE: The Transmogrification Artifact).
Every unique I've found is a blank.
Nope, I tossed out all Uniques and will be making all new ones around a "Cursed" theme. So if you find a Unique, just leave it lay if its unfinished.

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm

cool, i am looking forward to the update. I think that the multiple character builds are awsome, just curious as to when you will be releasing the other character choices.

Edit:
Something very weird just happend, i saved and exited the game but when i loaded my game it said that i had 9 skill points to distribute. For some reason it gives me 9 skill points every time i save and exit the game. Is there a bug on my part or was there a testing thing you forgot to disable.

For testing purposes of multiple skills i made it to where i get 2 skills per lvl by editing the d2mod.ini but i am sure that isnt the case.

As for the passive skill change from increased attack speed to stamina regen, i think that it should be changed to stamina percent/recov rate. I have tested the charged bolt, fire bolt, and ice bolt, They tilt the scale twords easy. You can cast them all and have them stack with each other and that is unbalanced.

Edit 2
I started a new char and i am still getting the 9 skill points after exit. I also got 2 skill points when i bought a ID Tome.
Last edited by Elzix15 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:57 pm

Well I've had a bit of a tweak around and here's my thoughts so far;

- No Blade Fury and Strafe? Heresy! I would love to see a Barb using either of these two skills, especially since I can list a ton of reasons why Strafe is better than Multishot 95% of the time.
- You're really missing a trick by using a Barb yet not allowing ANY dual-wielding skills at all
- A rather big one. The skill cost increases depending on how many +skills you may have. I ended up spending two points on one of the skills simply because I had the +skills aura up and went from 5->6 thinking it would only take one off since it's going from base 4 to 5.
- Werewolf doesn't have access to any of the melee skills. This severly limit's it's potential. Plus you would either have to shapeshift out to use Vengeance/Berserk, or you would have to have a castable spell to use (making Werewolf even more useless). It's helped somewhat by the fact you can use Amp/Decrepify to break PI's, but still it would be nice to Zeal as a WW.
- No Java skills until clvl 40? I don't usually play Java's but that seems a bit much to me
- Title Screen/Character Select Screen Graphics = Fail. Seriously, replace them, they're horrible. It's like FACE! A bit too much mate.

Apart from that I love the concept you've got going on here. It'll be hard to get it truly balanced since you're limited to what you can use skills wise. Maybe eight skill trees.....?

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Lament of Innocence Alpha v1.00+ Feedback

Post by talonrage » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:51 am

Comments from Elzix15

I've not had any skill point problems that you posted. I suggest resetting the Plugy.ini to its original format and playing a new character. Afterwards, if you're still having the problem, post again and I'll look into it.

Stamina change was just an idea. There is no way to increase stamina except vitality (4 points per 1 stamina) and it fits with the mana regen and life regen row.

The three elemental enchant skills may seem strong until you reach nm and hell, where they become limited and it'll require ALOT of skill points to improve them. I'll look into a more balanced value for normal difficulty though.

Comments from Maxx Power

First off, thanks for your thoughts on skills and balance. I havent really got to test anything yet as everything is in a "Rough-Draft" kinda state. I was thinking of removing half of the elemental skills and replacing them with more traditional melee skills, something along the lines of Traps.

As for the alls skills problem, I'll look into it.

I plan on making Werewolf usable with all skills, so not to worry on this one.

There are no Java skills at all. Lightning Fury has been converted from a Java skill to a Bow Skill.

:cry: I really liked all the screens, took me forever to find and edit some that fit into a Vampiric Themed Mod.

Both positive and negative criticism is welcome.

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:03 am

About the cursed items, they sell for max cash. They are aslo very expensive to buy. did you do thid on purpose?

chipmanr
Paladin

Post by chipmanr » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:30 am

Here's a strange prop on a pair of boots I gambled.

album_page.php?pic_id=1772

hourendous
Paladin

Post by hourendous » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Never played the mod much yet, waiting for the beta version to come out msotly, heh, and about the custom screens at begging, the only one i dont like is the char select screen i think it is, its just so dull looking and as he said, its only a face, the other screens are fine though, and to the commen on the no double wield skills, there are none because if someone wanetd to play a paladin when the chance comes out, the dual wield skills would be useless,

Oh and talon is it possible to make it so that every char class starts with the same stats, but comes with an item that gives stat points or osmehting so you can pick how you want your starting stats to be? would help out alittle bit for some classes when starting more than anything

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:17 pm

QUOTE:Oh and talon is it possible to make it so that every char class starts with the same stats, but comes with an item that gives stat points or osmehting so you can pick how you want your starting stats to be?

Thats a good idea, i second that request

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by talonrage » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:00 pm

Sounds like a good idea but the problem is that people would just keep making new characters and give the stat-boosting item to one character and make super-powerful starting characters. I'll look into a way to prevent this and if possible I'll introduce it.

I also found and fixed the display bug on those boots reported by chipmanr.

As for Cursed items, I wasnt aware they sold for max cash so I'll look into it and try and reduce their sale prices.

Elzix15
Paladin

Post by Elzix15 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Would it be possible to just have chars start with stats to distribute? And if thats not possible then so that people dont give the items to other chars, just disable the shared stash.

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:45 am

I thought the concept of the mod was to have only one selectable character class? Unless you are going to have class specific skills later on, but then that'd just be Median Mark II.

talonrage
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by talonrage » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:38 am

There is only one selectable character class. But it doesnt prevent someone from making 30 characters and placing all the potions into shared stash to have one character drink them. This is what I'm looking into preventing for this starting feature.

UPDATE
---------

OK I figured it out. New starting characters will be able to drink a special elixir potion that will give them a one-time bonus of 50 stat points and +2 skill points when drunk. These points can be distributed as the player wishes.

Potions have been set up to work once so anyone drinking multiple potions will see no benifit.
Last edited by talonrage on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 am

So does that mean we can see some Dual-Wielding skills? Double Throw would be nifty for those who want to have throwing skills and a use for them javalins.

Also you may want to look into finding a use for Wands and Staves again, since they're downright useless now (except Elite staves which have uber-damage). I don't think it would be too much trouble to auto-mod some +skills to elemental skills on staves, and +skills to magic skills on wands.

Return to “Talonrage's Requiem of Sorrow”