NefEx v1.00 (build 070511)

Discuss applications of D2Mod (v1.10), NefEx (v1.11+), and PlugY, and post suggestions for future plugins.

Moderators: Nefarius, Yohann, SVR

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

NefEx v1.00 (build 070511)

Post by Nefarius » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:09 am

NefEx - Nefarius' External Dll System
v1.00 (build: 70511)
by Nepharius

Ok, over 100 people have downloaded this from here so far, and I've yet to see a any reports (except one), can you all please get off your seats and report whenever it works for you (and if not, what happens + your specs)!?

BETA WARNING
The beta will unload dlls that might conflict with it that are irrelated to d2 itself, don't run this beta with other code modifications (such as PlugY), it will automatically unload common things and other stuff that could collide with it. Why has this been done? So you don't report things as bugs that are caused by collision with irrelated things.

How to install the system?
1. Replace your D2Gfx.dll with the modified version that comes with this readme
2. Put NefEx.dll and NefEx.ini in your mod directory,
you can also put them in the D2 folder, but this will have 'global' effects.
3. Install any of the 3 sample plugins provided
4. Test and report bugs

How to install plugins?
1. Every plugin comes with a section to add to your NefEx.ini file, copy it into
the NefEx.ini file and put the plugin in your mod or D2 folder.
2. Note, you can load up to 128 plugins at a time (the system has to keep track of them)
this limit will probably be expanded to 1024 when the beta ends.

What does a plugin change, how do I detect collisions?
1. NefEx will dump all changed code to it's log file.

Do I need to run this under Administration mode in Win NT/2K/XP?
No, you shouldn't have to, it should run without any change needed on your end.

What not to report?
1. If you don't know how to use the extended objects or levels txt plugins properly,
get familiar with them before reporting 'issues'.
2. 'The BattleNet Button Doesn't Work!!' - this isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Systemwide Modifications
1. NefEx will alter the way the game draws object (type2) units,
you no longer crash if they lack modes specified in objects.txt
2. It fixes the RandTransform bug (where special boss palettes weren't applied properly)
3. The loading interval when creating / joining tcp/ip games is increased by at least x10

System
Nefex v1.00 (build 70511) - dload.php?action=file&file_id=1468

Plugins
Misc Fixes - dload.php?action=file&file_id=1485
Ui Extensions - dload.php?action=file&file_id=1471
Extended Objects - dload.php?action=file&file_id=1470
Extended Levels - dload.php?action=file&file_id=1469
LvlPal - viewtopic.php?t=49196
NewTxt - viewtopic.php?t=49195

Notes to plugin developers
You will be able request the development kit soon, the last bits of the documentation and toolset are being tested right now. (Thank you). Popular plugins can be embedded into NefEx if there is request for it (so it becomes part of the system itself).

Thanks
Blizzard - for creating the latest mess patch which provided some challenge and led to this :twisted:
Joel - for much coding style advice
Myhrginoc - for doing extensive tests with the system on Win NT+
James - for testing my messy >1K lines structure header
Last edited by Nefarius on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:15 am, edited 7 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:35 pm

For those scared of FilePlanet (for whatever reason) I've mirrored the files here:

http://www.tech-rant.com/Downloads-req- ... sid-13.htm

And now for Nefarius:

You might want to stress that the "signature = x" is to be copied across. I can see people seeing that as a file hash for the download that is irrelevant for the system.

It would be nice to see a 'Version Text' on the main screen, just so we know players have managed to install the system (for troubleshooting purposes.)

No problems to report (yet) using NefEx on Server 2003.
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: NefEx v1.00 (build 070511)

Post by Nefarius » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:13 am

Thanks for mirroring the files. :D

---

As to the signature, the signature is _very_ important, every dll entry must be exactly like it is shown in the readmes. Dll files you attempt to load without a valid signature in the INI, will not be loaded.

---

It would be nice to see a 'Version Text' on the main screen, just so we know players have managed to install the system (for troubleshooting purposes.)
I've intentionally not done this since this always disturbed me about D2Mod :P, I could make it optional later on. It won't create a log file if it isn't installed (and it would assert if it fails to attach to d2 properly when installed).

-----

Speaking about Nefex-generated assertions, in case you encounter any please post your system specs. _I do not speak about D2 assertions__

Especially If you encounter the following messages please report all your system specs.

GetDebugPrivileges() == FALSE (if you get this, try running as admin)
hGame == NULL --- if you get this here you're running vista and need to figure out how to get it to work on your own for the time being :P
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

dav92
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dav92 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:48 pm

I think not many people are replying, because there are so less plugins.

Then you have more Plugins, I think, more people will post a crash log.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm

Frankly there won't be any additional plugins until I am certain that the system works.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:27 pm

i think a utililty type plugin might make it a bit more popular(like skill and stat points per level + bug fixes etc)...(i'll see if i can whip something up :P, as i know your busy)
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

dav92
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dav92 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:12 pm

So, I have tried it out for one and a half hour now, and got not one crash or error.

I have tried the Extended Levels and Extended Objects Plugin, and I can add new levels and entry them. There aren't any problems.
I have added a couple of new objects to the game, and it works.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:32 pm

[quote=dav92";p="357671"]
So, I have tried it out for one and a half hour now, and got not one crash or error.

I have tried the Extended Levels and Extended Objects Plugin, and I can add new levels and entry them. There aren't any problems.
I have added a couple of new objects to the game, and it works.
[/quote]

tyvm ;)

Jason Maher

Post by Jason Maher » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:08 pm

I would gladly post an error report if I could even install the program in the first place.

First off, I tried using Windows Compressed Folder to extract the files to a new folder in my Diablo II directory. This only resulted in the following error popup: "Compressed (zipped) Folders Error: File skipped unknown compression method." Re-downloading and trying again produced the same error.

So I came up with the brilliant idea of extracting directly into the DII directory, which seemed to work, except when I clicked on "yes" on the replace file box (for D2Gfx.dll), it threw me another popup asking me for a password to replace the file. My Windows login is an admin account, so it can't be that stopping me replacing a .dll.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Jason
I burst my pimples at you and call you door opening request a silly thing.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 pm

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:55 am

I'll be picking up a copy of Vista Business at the end of next week, thanks to MSDN-AA, so I'll give them a go with the system. Like I said before, I've never encountered a problem using NefEx under Server 2003. I can try to find my copy of XP x64 as well...
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Borgin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Borgin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:21 am

Like I told you before, Vista is giving me some issues with NefEx, and I still can't figure out to get rid of the "hGAME = null" error message in the NefEx log. Running under Administrator doesn't help, neither does a clean install of D2 (hardly thought it was necessary but I gave it a go). I doubt it's a problem with NefEx and more likely a problem with Vista, like you explained via PM, but I thought I would share this info with the public. I will continue to get it working, but it's probably just because I'm stupid. So maybe I should leave it alone. :)

--Borgin

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:53 pm

For some reason my MSDN-AA license key won't be given to me until the 17th... I was expecting it today... So I'll have to wait before I get my mitts on Vista for testing NefEx :cry:

nobody

Post by nobody » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:12 am

(double post)
Last edited by nobody on Sun May 24, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

nobody

Post by nobody » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:13 am

seems to work fine for me. uiext.dll didn't seem to load when i tried running a mod though with the dlls sitting in the main d2 folder

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:18 am

Did you have the plugin entries in the nefex.ini? Are there any nefex debug logs in d2 folder?
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:14 pm

GuyAskingQuestion";p="358942" wrote:For some reason my MSDN-AA license key won't be given to me until the 17th... I was expecting it today... So I'll have to wait before I get my mitts on Vista for testing NefEx :cry:
MSDN guy wouldn't let me borrow the media... so I have to wait until Monday now! I will get round to messing with NefEx on Vista... one day that is...

Edit 24th Oct 2007

I have VISTA!... again! I know it sucks, but you have to stay uptodate.
Like I told you before, Vista is giving me some issues with NefEx, and I still can't figure out to get rid of the "hGAME = null" error message in the NefEx log. Running under Administrator doesn't help, neither does a clean install of D2 (hardly thought it was necessary but I gave it a go).
I am running Vista Business as administrator with UAC off and NefEx is running all 3 initial plugins fine. I haven't actually installed Diablo though, I am just running the folder from my Windows XP partition until I decide whether to stick with Vista, but I doubt NefEx is going to care about the registry anyway.

I'll poke around some more and try to recreate your problem. Could you post some more information so I can try to do so? e.g. Which version of Vista, 32 or 64 bit, UAC, anti-virus, etc.
Last edited by GuyAskingQuestion on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolvorine42
Paladin

Post by Wolvorine42 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:45 pm

I for one (presuming everyone posting so far is right and it all works as you mean it to) would LOVE to see a host of plugins like d2Mod has. Running 1.11b I can't use D2Mod, so NefEx has me really hoping... :)

EDIT: Silly question, does NefEx and it's plugins go into the /Mods/Data folder, or into the /Mods/Data/Global folder? I have it in /Mods/Data right now, but given that none of the plugins are anything that I can, well... notice if I fire up the game, I don't know if it's working. :)
Last edited by Wolvorine42 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:55 pm

it should have same structure like d2mod (as far I know) also into mod´s name, not in data/.... :roll:
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:58 pm

This has little to do with D2Mod or NefEx this is windows API behavior ;)

Wolvorine42
Paladin

Post by Wolvorine42 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:10 pm

Well, for instance, at the moment I have NefEx and the plugins sitting in C:\Games\Diablo II - LoD\Mods\OwenV2-Testing\data (instead of C:\Games\Diablo II - LoD\Mods\OwenV2-Testing\data\global). That's the right place, ja?

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:11 pm

No, "C:\Games\Diablo II - LoD\Mods\OwenV2-Testing\" is the right place.

The same ofc also applies to the INI files.
Last edited by Nefarius on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shademe

Post by shademe » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:50 pm

err.... this may seem a little lame, but what does this thing do ?

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:04 pm

It is a code edit injection system for 1.11b(think plugY or D2Mod System), the plugins are various code edits that then get applied by the system, like extending the levels cap, always displaying the health and mana values etc

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:56 pm

For anyone who is interested (I've already told Nef,) you should have no problems getting Nefex running under Wine. I haven't seen any problems with it at all under Xubuntu.

Return to “PlugY|NefEx|D2Mod”