[on use item] Portal / Travel to

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

[on use item] Portal / Travel to

Post by kingpin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 am

I have been updating the code that handles subquest items that have on use ability to open up a portal to special quest area.

It will now instead of open up the portal, take you to the location directly instead. This will solve the instability issue with portals and aswell make it work in the original way I intended.

The net effect of this change allows you to use the item in any act and it will take you back to your quest area. Even if you are in a different act.

An example (from Barbarian subquest): you can see here.

RaffoBaffo

Re: [on use item] Portal / Travel to

Post by RaffoBaffo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:22 am

when is the new patch going to be released?

The patch I'm playing with now does not feature the barbarian class, is it the latest available at the moment?

oh by the way, this is a great mod with many good ideas, but i think you should get rid of the mana/health potion system

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:47 am

RaffoBaffo" wrote:when is the new patch going to be released?

The patch I'm playing with now does not feature the barbarian class, is it the latest available at the moment?

oh by the way, this is a great mod with many good ideas, but i think you should get rid of the mana/health potion system
Thanks,

The official preview version don't contain Barbarian class or anything from chapter #2.

New official patch will take it's time still. I'm trying hard to get it out before end of this year, but nothing I can promise. I'm atm focusing on implement the necromancer class who is one of two new classes that will be available in next official release.

However if you are dedicate to test out bugs, balance issues or any other issue there is a chance to get your hand on the current internal version. That requires however to be able to test frequently and report issues. If you are interested just send me a pm in that case.

The current mana/health potion isn't anything I'm to satisfy with either. But, removing the potions would mean increased difficulty and repeat run back because dying. So, not sure that would be better option.

I have been playing around with put on a cooldown timer to prevent the chain potion. But, atm this isn't active in the mod.

RaffoBaffo

Post by RaffoBaffo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am

sadly i don't think i would have enough time to test and report regularly but i'll ask you that if i do.

As for the mana/health potion system, I don't just mean to remove the potions and leave the rest as it is, i think you could find a better way to heal then just spamming potions, while still keep the whole thing balanced. E.g. the aftermath mod does this very cleverly by implementing an innate life regeneration factor that changes based on your stats and "character build".
But that's just an exaple, for this mod i think that healing should come mainly from skills so that it is a more "customizable choice": you can have plain healing skills, aura healing skills, healing "totems" with AoE or single target healing, "heal on kill" skills, DoT and/or burst healing and so on...
Same goes for mana regeneration

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Mana management is kinda broken atm in preview version and is still in current test version aswell.

For those who played sorceress you can easy reach a point where mana don't matter anymore.

The 3 existing classes in preview version will undergo quite large changes. Something's that will come for sure is heal oriented skills. Now, use heal from any other source then potions would at basic have the same issues as potions.

I agree give classes different way's is good way to give more choices. This is something's I'm in general always trying to do.

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:51 pm

RaffoBaffo" wrote:get rid of the mana/health potion system
for me the removal of a potion system is disastrous.

imagine fighting a tough boss with re-gen while you run backwards spamming healing buffs :roll: kinda looks stupid really... ;)

do really potions stack? i can't seen to find any sign of it... i replaced all healing potions with a universal one, meaning it will regenerate your hp based on the hp you've lost. i spammed potions just to experience the stacking potions that they say, but i can't seemed to recreate what they are telling...

or perhaps i just misunderstood what the are trying to say :mrgreen:

anyhow here are the entries of my universal potion

pSpell = 3
State = healthpot
Stat1 = hpregen
Calc1 = (stat('hitpoints'.accr)<stat('maxhp'.accr))?((stat("maxhp".accr)/254):0)

i still need to adjust the length to make sure that it's well balanced...
i don't want any player to become invulnerable as long as they have a lot of Pots in-hand so a "slow re-generation over time" will do... ;)

i was inspired by the "unusable health potion when hp is full style" so, i soft coded mine

Now My Healing Potions are not usable if your HP is Full too ;)

Dark Alliance is the first code-based mod i've played, and i was insanely overwhelmed by this mod :mrgreen: :) come to think of it, the version i played was just a preview... i can't imagine the awesomeness of Chapter 2 :twisted:

i hope it will come out really soon :)
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Then a state is applied (in general) it will only tell how long the state exist.

There is other function that handle amount of life/mana regen. It's possible however if new potion used up before time ends, the initial potion effect isn't removed (didn't check the func to confirm it is actually this way).

Return to “Dark Alliance”